At What Point Is It Not Worth Burning Coal .

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 12:55 pm

Hugo Chavez... Vladimir Putin... Mahmoud Ahmadinejad....

If you want these characters out of power or their influence greatly reduced... keep burning coal.

We're looking for a new car (actually a new old/certified car)... looking for ~25MPG combined. Plenty of decent sized cars getting at least that these days. Every drop of oil NOT burned helps US foreign policy.

djackman

Post by djackman » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 2:16 pm

coaledsweat wrote: They will all agree to cut production then go home and cheat on the quotas to keep their heads above water. :)
Yup, verrry probable.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens when/if they announce a cut since the speculators are effectively sidelined.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 8:21 pm

There is no turning back for the serious coal burner.

I'll stop burning coal when they have to pry the shovel out of my cold dead hands. :D :o
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

uticany

Post by uticany » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 10:43 pm

how soon we forget that oil/gas prices are what started this recession we are in........
coal employs american workers, truck drivers as well as retail sales, in no time they can run fuel prices back to where they were
even if it cost more to use coal I wouldent go back, the quality of heat I get in my home is second to none, the minimal work involved is enjoyable
last year I depended on oil and no matter what the cost I paid, this year I was all set by july. my furnace has not run yet this year and that makes me happy

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 11:23 pm

no way in hell would I go out and buy an oil furnace......no switching fuels for me

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 11:53 pm

I am PROUD of having a coal stove. I have always, when I have had the power to do so had a coal stove and will continue to have one. If I have to, I will get my own truck and go to the mine and get the coal myself.
Here is a picture of my stove doing what it was made to do. What you can't see is me in my rocking chair by the fire. How can an oil or gas furnace compete with that? I ask you.

Attachments

Stanley 2.jpg

Stanley Agrand At Work

.JPG | 126.2KB | Stanley 2.jpg

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 4:15 pm

Speaking purely crude numbers, I would say the "switch over" point to be ~$1.50/gallon for oil.

The reality, is that Fuel prices are controlled by the stock market and can be manipulated. Coal is fairly steady priced and it employs American workers!!

Once my KA-4 is up and running, I hope I never burn another drop of heating oil for the rest of my life!!!

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sun. Dec. 14, 2008 8:06 pm

beatle78 wrote:Speaking purely crude numbers, I would say the "switch over" point to be ~$1.50/gallon for oil.

The reality, is that Fuel prices are controlled by the stock market and can be manipulated. Coal is fairly steady priced and it employs American workers!!

Once my KA-4 is up and running, I hope I never burn another drop of heating oil for the rest of my life!!!
I made the mistake once . When I built my house I heated with coal and propane . Then when I installed my radiant floor heat a friend of mine had a good used oil boiler and oil was only 65 or 70 cents/gal and coal was about $110/ton added to that my ignorance on coal boilers at the time . Never again, I empty ashes once /week in most weather and I love to hear the coal rattling in the auger .To me its the sound of independence from the oil companies . If oil becomes 1/2 the cost of coal then I would have a hard time not running the boiler but still not sure if I would . I don't think I really have to worry about that though . Dave

arcticcatmatt

Post by arcticcatmatt » Mon. Dec. 15, 2008 9:45 pm

eelhc wrote: We're looking for a new car (actually a new old/certified car)... looking for ~25MPG combined. Plenty of decent sized cars getting at least that these days. Every drop of oil NOT burned helps US foreign policy.
Make sure its an american car with high north american parts content.

I work for a supplier to the big three and we are all sitting home on layoff :shock:

I used one of the calcuators posted and my cheapest option is wood in my Russian masonry heater, Second is coal. I can heat with oil, wood, or coal here. Right now I am balancing heating with wood and coal. The coal stove is on low and I burn an occasional fire in the masonry heater. I am running a test right now, I am trying to see of the coal stove on low will heat the entire house with no wood when its 30's day, 20's night.

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Mon. Dec. 15, 2008 11:42 pm

arcticcatmatt wrote:

Make sure its an american car with high north american parts content.

I work for a supplier to the big three and we are all sitting home on layoff :shock:
My last Dodge Minivan was built in Canada and my Dodge Pickup was from Mexico! :mad: :mad: Now I check the sticker b4 I buy

NOPEC

Post by NOPEC » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 10:20 am

for me, it's political. I am putting my $ into American pockets, not the hands of terrorists. :mad:

i used to burn 1500-2000 gallons of heating oil per year and the house was 62-65 degrees. now, I can keep the house at 74 and i'm burning about a ton a month of nut anthracite. when it warms up between to 30-50, i'll switch back to wood, which is free. my Harman sf-260 burns them both interchangeably.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”