Blashak Users

Frank B.

Post by Frank B. » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 10:22 pm

This is my 3rd year burning Blashak nut coal (bagged) This years coal produces a distinct pinkish/red ash. The past couple years I had a white/grey ash. Anyone else notice this?

deacon3j

Post by deacon3j » Mon. Nov. 24, 2008 11:09 pm

The first Blashak I got gave me a nice white ash. Then I got a bulk load and it's a pink/redish ash and not quite as fine.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 6:33 am

This is my first year burning coal and I would have to say my ash isn't whitest/gray it does have some color to it. I was told by the guy at the store that it was last years left over bags if that means anything.

Attachments

IMG_0571.jpg

Yesterday's ash.

.JPG | 825.9KB | IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg
.JPG | 677KB | IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
.JPG | 832.4KB | IMG_0573.jpg

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 7:31 am

Not like coal goes bad, you can 20 year old coal that burns fine.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 7:43 am

Remember, most of this is reclaimed coal from culm piles or it is strip mined, what you are burning this year probably came from a different pile or different stip mine sight. All companies have these inconsistancies.

Bk

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 8:31 am

I have a suggestion that when someone posts a picture of coal ash that they put a item in

the picture to give us a perspective of the size,and also list the size of coal used to produce

this ash.Some members already do this and it is helpful to put the ash/clinker in the correct

relationship. A coin or a dollar bill are good references.

I would like to know which coal source has the softest ash in a nut and pea size,so it is easy to break

up in a stove /boiler.I used Blaschalk nut and it had a very stony hard texture and some small

clinkers of melted iron like material in it,maybe other coal will be softer and easily broken up.

I burned real good and produced good heat,so its good coal for strip mined.

BigBarney

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Nov. 25, 2008 2:46 pm

When your a company the size of blaschak that are in 19 different coal veins you ash will be
different color from load to load. It all depends if they where running more white ash coal that day or more Red ash coal that day. You might get more BTU's on one load then the next load. They
Run 2500 tons of raw coal day threw that breaker you will see differences between load to load
in color of ash and BTU's output . They are one of the most Consistent in Quality Surface mining company around . Much better then Most Surface mining Co.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”