Anyone Heating Their Clothes Dryer With Water?

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Fri. Jun. 16, 2006 4:29 am

I have been looking at ways to reduce my electrical use and I have been checking out the water to air heat exchangers for our clothes dryer. There are 5 people in my houshold and our dryer is ALWAYS running. I figured that since the boiler is already heating everything else why not the dryer also.
I know that these heat exchangers are available, I was just wondering if anyone here uses one and how hard was it to retrofit it into your standard dryer? I can't seem to find much info about this on the web. Thanks....

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Jul. 01, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Shawn,

I'm not sure this would work in a regular dryer. The heat that a gas or electric dryer creates is quite a bit hotter than the maximum you could get out of a water to air heat exchanger.

The max water temp in a non pressurized system would be around 200-210* and maybe 220* in a pressurized system. I'm pretty sure that the flame or electric element creates heat somwhere above 300*.

I'm doing laundry this afternoon, so I'll put the laser thermometer to work and try to get a reading on the temperature inside the dryer's drum.

I have thought about using hot water for clothes drying, but I think would have to be a extra hot room with clothes lines and exhaust fans. But maybe the dryer is not a shot as I think it is. I'll know later today.

See Ya, still planning on a pilgramage for a load of bulk coal this summer.

Take care, Greg

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Mon. Jul. 03, 2006 12:12 am

Greg,

That was my question. The reason I asked was because I have seen a few outdoor furnace sites that are selling these heat exchanger designed solely for clothes dryers. I was wondering if anyone has tried one out and if they actually work or not.
Let me know when you are coming for the coal.

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Tue. Jul. 04, 2006 9:58 pm

this is just about all I have found about this item

BTW, I used to own one of these furnaces. They work O.K. especially if you REALLY, REALLY like cutting firewood.
Last edited by ktm rider on Fri. Mar. 31, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <removed dead link>

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”