Stove Black, What Is It?

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 5:21 am

Hi Guys,
Making some changes on my Harman SF 160, and want to paint the 16 gauge steel plates that i'm fabricating. What is stove black and where would you get it? Or what kind of paint would you use to make these parts the same color as the stove (black)? The parts will be added to the ash door, so not subject to the high heat.

JB

chubs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: combustioneer 77
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker bit.

Post by chubs » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 6:28 am

seen it at lowes in the spray paint section the other day

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 6:37 am

Thanks Chubs, i'll be checking out Lowes today.

JB

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 7:13 am

Stove Black doesn't work very good on steel ... it's more for cast iron. The high temp, flat paints work the best on steel.

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 7:24 am

Hi Folks
Check in a hardware store for Rutland Fire Clay Products. Small Red and White Checkers on lable.
Used to use stuff called Coughlin's Stove Black but I cant seem to find it any more.
I agree with previous post about hi temp paint for steel especially new . It seems like once the steel has heated and cooled a few times and gets a tad of rust film the paint seems to adhere better.
Anyone know if Coughlins is still in business? They used to have a chimney cleaner in a yellow cardboard tube type box.
I was told that "stove black" is a wax base . I know it stinks when it gets hot first time so be prepared.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Nov. 16, 2008 9:38 am

As stated above, stove black is for porous surfaces like cast iron, Use a good high temp paint on new steel surfaces, it looks and works best..

Clean the new steel surfaces with solvent first,, steel usually has some oil on it when new.

Greg L.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks Guys, for the info. I bought hi temp flat black spray paint and sanded the steel parts with 150 grit sandpaper. sanded it mostly to give the paint something to hang on to and also to clean it. Started to wonder if I should use a metal primer as it's being treated like anyother peace of metal. I've had good luck using Rustoleum red lead primer, which helps to prevent rust. Would you guys recommend using a primer before the top coat? These parts are only going to be on the ash door so they aren't going to get very hot anyway.

Thanks,
JB

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 7:07 am

I wouldn't and haven't used primer.

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Nov. 17, 2008 7:25 am

I have never used primer on a stove but stove bright makes a high temp primer. If you want to use a primer that is what I would use.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi everybody,
Well that settles it for me. The steel will be cleaned, painted with hi temp flat black paint, and no primer.
Thanks guys, for all your help

JB

deacon3j

Post by deacon3j » Wed. Nov. 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Here's a trick I used when I re-did the exhaust on my Harley. I took the pipes and gave them a good acid bath to etch the chrome. Then gave them a good coat of high temp primer, put the pipes in the oven at 400 for an hr. Next day did the same thing. 3rd day it was time to put the black on them, high temp gloss black. Same scenario. By day 5 I had a set of pipes that looked like they had black chrome on them. Never had a peeling, flaking or chalking problem and those pipes were still on the bike when I sold it. They had probably 50,000 miles on them too.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Deacon3j,

Now that is a cool idea!!! :verycool: I don't think I want to get that fancy with the project i'm doing right now, but i'm going to copy your post for future reference. Thanks. BTW does your wife let you use her oven for projects like that or do you have your own oven :lol:

JB

deacon3j

Post by deacon3j » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 6:15 pm

JB, it's easy but you have to do it right. The wife was a bit skeptical at first. lol! First thing to do is make sure the paint is completely dry before putting the parts in the oven. Put them in a cold oven and let them come up to temp along with the oven and you'll have almost no smell at all. The same applies for cooling, let all cool down together. Make sure your hands are clean before handling them or better yet, have something to grab them with. You'll have no fingerprints and a coating that's hard as iron when you're done.

billw

Post by billw » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 6:55 pm

it's easy but you have to do it right. The wife was a bit skeptical at first. lol! First thing to do is make sure the paint is completely dry before putting the parts in the oven.
This is real important when using the wife's oven. I baked a set of brake drums ONCE. Paint was still tacky. The house stunk for a while and it added a new dimension to my wife's cooking. :)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”