Pics of My Install and Coal

tugcapt

Post by tugcapt » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 7:55 am

Hey Mike
Uncasville here I bought coal from montville hardware 300.00 a ton .how much did you pay per ton from keystone and was there a minimum amount on your order?
Thanks Keith

MrMikie

Post by MrMikie » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 9:20 am

Uncasville here I bought coal from montville hardware 300.00 a ton .how much did you pay per ton from keystone and was there a minimum amount on your order?
Thanks Keith
Keith we are pretty close to each other. I talked to Dino @ Montville Hardware as we are friends, and he did not have Rice coal, and said he would only order it again if it was for someone that wanted it. He did say he would unload my truck for me if I got stuck getting it unloaded. Dino and I play horseshoes together in a league in Norwich at the American Legion, he is a great guy.

My final cost per ton was $278.33 delivered and unloaded in my yard. I purchased an entire truck load, as that is what I wanted to get. Their website says you can get less, but I went for the full load, bagged. This is from their website; "Anthracite in single bags or small lots available for shipment anywhere in the US for cost plus FedEx Ground shipping charges. 25+ bags shipped on a pallet. Prices vary depending upon quanity."

It seems Rice sized coal in this area can be hard to find at this time. BT Enterprises in Bristol was giving me the runaround so I finally bit the bullet and ordered from Keystone. I am now a happy camper, and this coal burns great in the LL Pioneer LE.

tugcapt

Post by tugcapt » Thu. Nov. 20, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Mike
Yes we are close.Dean ordered a ton of rice for me with another coming in Dec.I think with the popularity of stokers rice will be easier to find (at least I hope so)
Dean is a great person I'm glad he is doing well after Home Depot opened up the street.In fact he told be hes doing even better which is great because I like going to a store and getting REAL help from someone who knows what they are talking about.
I guess it is a small world
Keith

MrMikie

Post by MrMikie » Sat. Dec. 13, 2008 10:15 am

Well after I got a feel for burning the coal I got from Keystone for a few weeks I decided to burn the 10 bags of Blaschak rice I had.

Other than the first bag that was extremely wet due to a small hole in the bag, it burned great. I did notice a difference in the ash though. The ash is red and white with less fly ash and less shale in it, where the other coal produced a gray white ash with more fly ash. The temps may have been colder during this stretch thus producing less fly ash. I started burning it Thanksgiving day and the last bag is in it now, so that's about 17 days. So @ .125 per lb x 400 lbs that comes out to $50. The Keystone coal I burned prior to that for 21 days comes out to .139 per lb x 350 lbs = $48.65
Year to date then is $98.65. Got to love that cost vs oil fired boiler.

They both burn well and I have no complaints with either. I do not like the bags the Blaschak comes in. I prefer the woven type bags that I just pull a string on.

We did experience a power outage of 3 1/2 hrs one morning due to a squirrel get caught up in the wrong place. So I also got a chance to light this brand. It lit up right away without any difficulties. The house only dropped 10 degrees, and was quickly back up to heat once the stove was up and running again.

I am out of the Blaschak now so I will be back burning the other coal. I am keeping track of my usage so I get get a feel for how long the 45,000 lb load will last.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”