Coal "Poping"

BeerMonley
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Lesiure Line
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by BeerMonley » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 10:10 am

i got my coal from a new place this week and I notice it pops when I first put it on, its kinda loke its exploding a little, I can hear it flying around the stove. whats this mean?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 10:13 am

I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but my stove does the same thing after fresh coal is added. My guess is that gases/moisture trapped in the coal escapes once heated.

NEPANewb
Location: Taylor, PA...aka part of NEPA...home of the Anthracite :)

Post by NEPANewb » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 10:40 am

I'm assuming this is a hand fed your talking about? This is not all that uncommon...when you filler-up without leaving an exposed burning section open the volotiles build up above the fresh cold coal bed until they are heated enough to "catch". If you can leave a small section of the existing hot fire bed exposed to the top of the new fill you will probably see this go away.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 10:54 am

Happens every time I load my stove with any coal I've ever had. The livelier the fire... the more the "Popping." Probably is trapped air or moisture or just the rapid heating of the coal itself, but whatever it is, you should always wear safety glasses when loading your stove!

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 1:12 pm

I figured it was from moisture because when starting my stoker I have the same result. But when its been in the hopper and warmed up / dried out I don't get it anymore. Lol, just the findings of a madman. :doh:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 1:24 pm

I don't think he's talking about puff backs, he's talking about popcorn acting coal. Yup, mine does it too & Mine's not a hand fed. After the stoker fan shuts off & there's new coal in there, it pops & crackles. Not enough to make any fly around....so far. Oh, & my coal is perfectly dry.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 1:28 pm

k9 Bara wrote:I figured it was from moisture because when starting my stoker I have the same result. But when its been in the hopper and warmed up / dried out I don't get it anymore. Lol, just the findings of a madman. :doh:
I think you're right. I only observe/hear this when I'm loading the stove. Once the coal has been in a few seconds or so, it stops. (If it was air trapped in the coal itself I think it would continue as it heated up.)
Last edited by Devil505 on Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 3:56 pm

Think of it this way, you've just poured some milk on a fresh bowl of Rice Crispy's. :lol: I like hearing that snap, crackle,& pop cause I know my fresh batch of coal is lighting up fine. Don't have a window in the boiler door to see the coals. Wished it had one.
JB

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 4:01 pm

JB Sparks wrote:Don't have a window in the boiler door to see the coals. Wished it had one.
I do have a large window & there is no popping after the coal is shoveled in. It stops immediately.
(a piece might explode (minor burst) every once in a while, but no wide spread popping)

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Tue. Nov. 11, 2008 4:17 pm

Ya your right, about the time the blue ladies start to appear the popping is pretty much done.
JB

btrowe1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska stoker 140 Coal

Post by btrowe1 » Wed. Nov. 12, 2008 6:57 pm

I had that before in my old wood/coal furnace, I was always amazed ,my son (8,9 at the time) thought it was pretty cool and use to help me load up the stove just to hear the popp'n.. :roll:

Not sure if the newer stoker does it, I pretty much keep the main door closed and just see the glow from the coal. Son (now 12) doesn't really like to help load up much anymore. :confused:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”