Most Popular Size

Sailfish

Post by Sailfish » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 12:53 pm

Just wondering what the most popular size of coal seems to be for home heat use. Could someone set up a poll?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 1:07 pm

depends on the stove, hand fired or stoker.

Most, if not all, Stokers normally use RICE size. Hand Fed use much larger sizes. Quite a variety of different stove owners on here, so it is a wide range of sizes used.

You just have to see what is most readily available in your area and what type of stove you will use it in.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 2:43 pm

Where I live the local coal guy said he sells about 100 TT loads of rice a year and about 5 TT loads of nut if that's any help.
DON

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 5:59 pm

My percentage over about 500 customers split down to about
  • Rice: 45%
  • Range (nut and pea mixed): 10%
  • Nut: 30%
  • Pea: 10%
  • Buck: 5%
Rice coal will certainly be the most for most dealers. You may see differences, for example I had lot of rural customers where the power went out a lot for exttended periods of time so lot of them had hand fired stoves. In town the rice was probably more like 70% to 80%

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 7:25 pm

I use nut in my Mark III. Hey Richard What is range?, I have never heard of it before :gee: When I burn bit. lump is my ammo of choice :)

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Range is just Nut and Pea mixed together, most dealers don't have that large a percentage but I'd suggest it to many people especially if they were using it in a very large furnace or were having issues controlling the fire. I've found that most customers that were using nut that switched to range liked the range better. You can control it more easily because of the restricted air flow. You'll have to ask your dealer about it if you're getting in bulk. All we did was fill half the truck up with nut them fill he other half with pea over the top. It would mix very nicely because it was going out the narrow gate in the back. I'd even take requests for more/less of one size.

Others would get like 4 tons of nut and then 1 or 2 ton of pea divided. I'd chute each size onto separate side of the bin. Lot's of options, ask your dealer if you're getting it in bulk.

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 7:55 pm

Sounds like something worth trying. I have a bin full of Superior nut, The pieces are more like very small nut mixed with large pea, unlike Jeddo where the nut is much larger and more uniform in size. Having said that, my Mark III is too big for my house and with this round of global warming that Al Gore has blessed us with, it is hard to idle the fire down without endangering it of going out. Smaller pieces would probably controal the fire better. I don't like opening windows because it wastes coal and that is a sin.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 8:01 pm

Down by you Richard there's most likely a lot of old customers with boilers and furnaces and so on.Most of the people up my way are new to coal and have stokers.In 30 mi.around me I can only think of 4 guys who don't burn rice.me with a furnace,2 guys with boilers and one with an old kitchen range.
DON

SemperFi

Post by SemperFi » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 12:00 am

Richard, I was wondering what the industry calls coal larger that stove. The picture showes the average size, I have much larger. I got the coal as some good deal coal, payed allmost nothing for about 2 tons of it. The coal burns great after I break it up with a hammer and a sack, one smack and its instant stove coal. I have purchased stove coal with some rather large pieces but this stuff is all big. I figure if anybody would know you would.

Attachments

100_0760.jpg
.JPG | 1.3MB | 100_0760.jpg

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Nov. 09, 2008 1:49 am

I would have to guess that is egg , never actually saw it myself in person. The largest sizes the breakers I went to would be stove which is bout the size of a baseball or a little larger. My uncle said he could remeber delivering it with his father, he's have to go down in the basement and stack it like wall. :lol:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”