Kimmels Deep Mine Closed

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 6:45 am

well it happened just like everyone said it would. basically too much an investment for too little coal. they were down to 2 feet or so, and the pitch was heading down. just like everyone said, you cant use bitty mine technology in an anthracite mine. however one person said you could so they went that way and see where they are now. someone can take that place over with 10 men and a drag and put out twice the production they were getting with that silly continuous miner. mike a. should have more info.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 8:40 am

So is someone going to take it over or will it remain closed?

PA COAL

Post by PA COAL » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 9:18 am

I guess that would explain why I never heard back from them for a job :( Chris, did this just happen cuz I was up there about a month ago?

Gaptooth

Post by Gaptooth » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 12:13 pm

Is this the Williamstown #1mine?

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 12:15 pm

This is a major bummer. I hate seeing this happen. :x

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 1:09 pm

That stinks. The coal I got from them burns really nice.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Chris Murley wrote:well it happened just like everyone said it would. basically too much an investment for too little coal. they were down to 2 feet or so, and the pitch was heading down. just like everyone said, you cant use bitty mine technology in an anthracite mine. however one person said you could so they went that way and see where they are now. someone can take that place over with 10 men and a drag and put out twice the production they were getting with that silly continuous miner. mike a. should have more info.
Well like you said they where told in the begining it was not going to work but that went on def ears. You think after they trashing the first Continuous miner 1.2 million they would of learned. But no they had to bring in a smaller one and try that :lol:. I Guess they thought being UAE Harmony mine could do it they could not understanding that there veins are unique to Anthracite mining. Which as you probably already know will be coming to the end soon to after 20 years of using one they are almost dunn. It is costing them more money now to get the coal out then what they are making. They are running into Pitching Problems now well they have been for some time. And as you know the continuous can't run on a pitch. They can always go back to the conventional way. But That will cost them more time and money being there in there so deep. Plus the safety factors Hope Some one can take over the Williamstown # 1. When The Harmony close there are already the two big Surface mine co. waiting to go in and get the rest of the coal out.

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Fri. Nov. 07, 2008 9:39 pm

yes this is williamstown no.1. this is just as of last week. pretty much told everyone on friday, no more work. just like the old big colliery days huh? and like berner said, harmony is not long for the world. they abandoned the slope project as im told and there isnt much left to rob there. the only good thing that will come of this is besides the bitty guys brought in to work these 2 mines there were a bunch of great anty miners that got jobs there that didnt want to deal with the boys in blue at their own mines. I bet in the next year you see more holes opening up for sure now! im not sure as of now if anyone will be taking it over but I can bet a dollar to a donut that if it is, that silly continuous miner will be long gone and its mined traditionally. kimmels will continue to strip mine and who knows if they will open another deep mine. they were getting some pretty good production out of there until the mine took pitch, like everyone said it would. I know we poke fun at kimmels and harmony because they are/were mining like the soft coal boys, but these 2 mines are/were very important to the anthracite industry as they are/were the highest producers out of the deep mines.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Nov. 08, 2008 9:56 pm

aa running 043.JPG
.JPG | 842.2KB | aa running 043.JPG
I'm going to start growing my own corn right away .I hope prices don't go too much higher on coal .

etribuna

Post by etribuna » Thu. Nov. 13, 2008 9:46 pm

I was considering ordering a truckload from Penn Keystone Coal Company. They claim their stuff comes from the Williamstown #1. Anyone know if this affects them?

RickR

Post by RickR » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 4:26 am

Have placed order with Penn Keystone, bulk rice, mid-Oct.
Was emailed from Joe it would be week or so after check clears.
Check cleared Oct.25th and have not heard from them since.
No response at all to my emails, although Joe is emailing friends
who are looking to buy, and emails just stop if you ask too many
questions, such as name and # of trucking co. they use.
Everybody is told a week or two, but it's over 3 weeks now, and
I am getting concerned. Phone number is actually a cell phone
that no one ever answers. Will try to leave a message today and
see if anyone gets back to me.
If I were you, I wouldn't order from them right now. I'll update this
this when I find out more.
Check was for $5,250 - 25tons @ $165 + $45 trucking to Western MA.

Anyone know of a good lawyer?

NorthernNewYork

Post by NorthernNewYork » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 8:43 am

RickR wrote:Check was for $5,250
Holy crap! I would be at their front door!

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 8:46 am

RickR wrote: Check was for $5,250 - 25tons @ $165 + $45 trucking to Western MA.

The very least would to be to put a hold on that check.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 8:54 am

RickR wrote:Have placed order with Penn Keystone, bulk rice, mid-Oct. ...

Everybody is told a week or two, but it's over 3 weeks now, and
I am getting concerned. ...

I would be getting concerned too.
Another thought, my delivery guy tells me coal could be in short supply this winter. Maybe he is having trouble getting truck loads together. I think you are dealing with a broker and not an actual coal mining or processing company.

Maybe a letter from a lawyer will get his attention if he doesn’t get back to you via phone or e-mail.

etribuna

Post by etribuna » Fri. Nov. 14, 2008 9:02 am

That's exactly what I was afraid of. I had tried calling for two days and got no answer. He responding to my e-mail saying me to mail a check and he'd provide the details after it cleared. No way I'll do a check. I had previously suggested a credit card. That would give me some protection.

I've got another load already ordered from another source. I don't need 45 tons anyway.

Best of luck on chasing them down.

Ed...

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”