I Am Interested in Opinions of Reading Rice

catdog

Post by catdog » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 12:08 pm

to be used in a leisure line hearth does it run well etc...? or should I get blashek coal from someone else have heard in the forums it is very high quality.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 2:30 pm

I burned 3 tons of Reading rice 3 years ago when I purchased my Alaska Channing, it burned fine with no problems, I did find a few peices as large as pea or maybe nut but they fed through OK.

I have been burning Blashack since then because that is all that is available localy and it does well to. The size is more consistant and I get a little more ash.

I would be happy to get either one, if you have both available go for the least expensive.

BK

catdog

Post by catdog » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 2:41 pm

thanks, its hard to tell whats what with zero experience, I have both available but have to drive 65 miles for blaschek but no sales tax to pay...reading can be del but I pay tax and del so quality is tie breaker. 8-)

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 7:30 pm

I burned both last year. Burned about 300 pounds of Reading then switched to Blaschak. I won't be going back to Reading unless I have to (I bought several pallets of Blaschak and am going to buy a few more) The ash content of the Blaschak is significantly less, heat seemed the same so less work for me means I stay with the big B.

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 10:54 pm

I generally prefer Blaschak's over Reading (have burned both and others successfully), but then again in my first year with the stoker and with my previous hopper-fed I "sampled around" to see which flavor coal the stove preferred.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 9:11 pm

you are better off getting coal from the deep mines, Kimmels (sp?) sells it bagged and so do many dealers that bag it themselves. Reading and Blaschak are OK I guess, I burned about a ton of each and wasn't really impressed. I don't like the plastic bags, the bag-yer-own bags are like burlap and can be reused, the plastic bags are just trash.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Thu. Oct. 16, 2008 10:12 pm

Explain to me what "I wasn't really impressed means" and by explain, I mean quantify it unless it's just opinion. I keep reading people posting about how this coal had better heat...wtf does that mean? Did someone actually measure the BTU output (and not just the mine report)?

I'm genuinely interested. Most of this seems to be opinion.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 9:58 am

My like and dislike opinions were based on having to burn more coal to heat to the same comfort level for the same weather... so the only variable was the quantity of coal used...

And the amount of ash created and the amount of 'unburnt coal' or partially burnt coal in the ash.. if the ash is all red, or grey, and no black pieces, then it is all coal,, not refuse and bone..

But I agree,, there needs to be more accurate reporting.. something to quantify the opinions..

For me the ash tells most of the story, and how much coal is needed to heat for a given weather condition.

Greg L

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 10:31 am

av8r wrote:Explain to me what "I wasn't really impressed means" and by explain, I mean quantify it unless it's just opinion. I keep reading people posting about how this coal had better heat...wtf does that mean? Did someone actually measure the BTU output (and not just the mine report)?

I'm genuinely interested. Most of this seems to be opinion.
I can't answer your question in re Rice coal but for Nut coal, burned in a hand fired Harman TLC, I wouldn't recommend Reading Coal. I had major problems (last winter) with "Mystery Coal" which was finally identified as Reading Coal by the coal dealer. That's It- Stick With Blaschak!

It kept jamming my shaker mechanism. Blaschak works perfectly. As far as heat output & other differences, I didn't notice any difference but in terms of ash "coarseness" I found the Reading Nut size coal is virtually unusable in a TLC.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 10:41 am

LsFarm wrote:if the ash is all red, or grey, and no black pieces, then it is all coal,, not refuse and bone..
But again not necessarily the case, as I pointed out before really hard coal needs a lot of air. I've mentioned it before that I was delivering similar coal for one fall and getting a lot of complaints, simple fact was not only was the coal not bad it was a superior product. They needed to adjust the stoker get properly to get a good burn.

My Cousin has some coal now that he has to wait to fire up the stove because he has to turn it up too high with current outdoor temperatures.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Oct. 17, 2008 10:49 am

I was burning at max rates in the old boiler, 'Big Bertha' with the underfeed stoker.... the fire looked just like your avitar !! :lol:

If I had unburnt coal in the ash after THAT fire.. then it was bone or refuse coal.. it just wouldn't burn..

Greg L

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”