Magic Heat Reclaimer for Reading

kootch88
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kootch88 » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 11:13 am

I was thinking about ways to maximize my heat output. Does anyone know if these units are worth using? My stove does not have an air exchange system and I am looking for ways to exhaust as much heat as possible. My chimney is a center house chimney. My stove is in the basement so the chimney is about 28 feet high. Any comments would be welcome.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20 ... _200331508

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 11:17 am

There are many threads on those heat reclaimers & the consensus seems to be that they don't really work well on coal stoves & require cleaning often. (Doubtful you would ever recoup the purchase cost)

Here's one thread: Magic Heat Reclaimer

Do a search on Heat Reclaimers

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 11:26 am

My friend had one on his EFM stoker and couldn't figure out why his fire was going out in the warmer season. It occurred to him, that he had added the reclaimer. He removed it and problem went away.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 11:40 am

kootch88 wrote:I was thinking about ways to maximize my heat output. Does anyone know if these units are worth using? My stove does not have an air exchange system and I am looking for ways to exhaust as much heat as possible. My chimney is a center house chimney. My stove is in the basement so the chimney is about 28 feet high. Any comments would be welcome.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser ... _200331508

On a hand fed coal stove yes you will get alot of heat out of one it will cut the heat loss in half And No they do not need
alot of cleaning no more then what the stack need once a year On a stoker stove you will not get much heat out of one being the stoker stove's stack pipes do not get hot enough to make it worth putting on a magic heat reclaimer most of
the time there will not be enough of heat coming out off the pipe to even kick on the thermostat that is in the reclaimer
to turn the fan on on a hand fed top vent you will loose alot of heat up the chimney I always used one on a hand fed stove
they heat up the room nice about 30.000 to 35.000 BTU's extra with a magic heat reclaimer it will and does cut the heat
loss in half the magic heat as a rod on it that you pull and push in once a day it scraps the fly ash off the outside of the tubes to keep them clean the flyash goes up threw the chimney yo can run them on auto or manual there is a switch in
the lower right hand back corner mine kicks on on auto when the temps hit 130F then off at 115F or you can switch it to
run all the time look for them on ebay there are used ones that you will save alot of cash on from a new one good luck
they work very well on a top vent hand fed stove

Cyber36
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Marathon/Logwood

Post by Cyber36 » Wed. Oct. 15, 2008 11:47 am

Hey Berner, that's one heck of a sentence you've put together there bud. I'm thinking it might be a record :)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”