Oil Prices Drop Will Coal Follow Soon?

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Now my question is ....Will coal prices soon follow or will they stay higher because the the majority of sellers and people that stock it will have to sell off higher priced stock first.
I think a lot of dealers are smaller independents that have to move stocks before they can adapt to current market conditions....Guess I answered my own question didnt I?
By the way oil dropped to $77 at one point today and wholsale gasoline was posted at $2.04
The place I fuel my truck had a long line today. I got to pump and fuel had dropped to $3.95 from $4.20 that morning :D
Not to wish and speculators or Arabs any bad luck but I hope they choke till they croak on the oil they gouged us on. Also screw EXXON while I am at it :D
If oil stays down maybe the folks that make things move can get on and make a little money.
If oil had not tripled we would not be in this sorry fiscal mess as bad as we are.
Now if oilmen were bankers they would be getting bailedout for profits lost..or maybe they are and we just don't know it yet

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 6:56 pm

I would hope so! With most coal retailers explaining that price increases are due to higher transportation costs this year, a lowering of those costs SHOULD lower retail coal prices.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Coal prices should not drop,many will say inflated coal prices are fair as demand goes up even though the cost of getting and moving it is reduced with lower fuel costs.The price of steel has dropped so the cost of making stoves should be cheaper and passed along to the consumer. yeah right. I can't see coal dealers dropping prices after they have gotten the costumer to pay current prices.

efo141

Post by efo141 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 6:04 pm

If coal stays high and oil keeps dropping people will stop burning coal and fire up the oil burners. Coal has gained new customers this year and should try to keep them.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Devil505 wrote:I would hope so! With most coal retailers explaining that price increases are due to higher transportation costs this year, .
Ahh but the coal went up since the summer as it always has done for the last 100 years. ;)

As I explained in another thread coal prioces have always been stable, costs in outlying ares may decrease if the gas prices stay low but you may not see that until next season for may dealers especially if they have already purchased their coal.

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 10:44 pm

efo141 wrote:If coal stays high and oil keeps dropping people will stop burning coal and fire up the oil burners. Coal has gained new customers this year and should try to keep them.
Thats what happened in say 2004 . Coal was not much cheaper than oil . I went with oil . I guess I learned my lesson huh . Back to coal screw the oil companies . Dave

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”