Shutting Down Stove???

beaverman

Post by beaverman » Fri. Mar. 31, 2006 9:17 pm

I will be shutting down my stoker in a few weeks. I know to clean all the ash out and clean out the flue pipes etc.

Any recommendations for treating the inside of the stove? Should I use some type of rust preventer.My stove is in my basement, It stays pretty dry down there. I run a dehumidifier all summer to keep it that way.

I think I read a post on here about cleaning the stove and then applying some WD-40 to the surfaces?

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Sun. Apr. 02, 2006 12:49 am

I scrape, brush and vaccum the inside of my stoker stove along with removing the grate, hopper and feed assy. and cleaning them also. I remove the doors and leave them off until next season.
My stove is in the basement with a dehumidifier also. Tried the WD-40 treatment one year but didn't like the smell/smoke when I fired it back up. Haven't used it since and have had no problems with rust in at least 10 years. If your basement is dry and the stove clean, I see no need to apply anything.

FedFire47

Post by FedFire47 » Fri. Apr. 21, 2006 9:56 pm

WD-40 is highly flammable and probably not a good idea to put on something that you will eventually light on fire. My furnace manufactuer recommends if it's possible to not shut the unit down at all. Of course unless you were heating your water that would be pretty stupid. They recommend if you must shut it down to place a 40 or 60 w light bulb in the burn box and leave it on all the time until you relight it.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”