Journalist Seeks Coal Users

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Devil505 wrote:It was the hat, wasn't it????
It was the grape smugglers :P

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:26 pm

:funny: :funny: :funny:

I couldn't remember the phrase -- you beat me to the punch ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kenbod

Post by Kenbod » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:51 pm

I've read the whole thread and I would offer the following impressions:

If I really wanted to know something about residential coal, THIS is the place I would come too. The reporter, regarldless of his prejudices and motives, legitimately benefits from availing himself of facts and experience.

As users of coal (still a lawful, if misundestood, product), we aren't doing anything cultish or secret. Yes, I have had to explain and justify my use of coal to my friends, professional collegues, and neighbors. But, I've never had to apologize for it.

If this guy intends to write an article, he will; with or without our input. In my profession (healthcare), I have firsthand knowledge of the results of journalists (and politicians) taking on the problems of this industry. The outcome of these endeavors was always better when experienced personnel participate in the process. But, understand that clowns from government and journalism will plow ahead with or without such guidance.

I don't live in Mass, I don't know the local issues, and I certainly don't know of any of the biases, so I won't be contacting this guy. But, I salute Devil for attempting to responsibly educate this guy. As said before, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 9:36 pm

I wasn't insulted....I have bigger shoulders than that.But not as big as devil. :D
Time will tell who's right or wrong.

If he really wanted to write an article all he has to do is read this forum.I wouldn't doubt he'll just go ahead and write the article without contacting anyone.I mean to be honest if I was writing an article I would want 1st hand experience and own and run a coal stove myself.
DON

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 11:29 pm

Has anyone considered that maybe this guy wants to write an article FOR burning coal as a viable option to oil and electric? I recently talked to someone who had gotten a quote for geothermal. $47,000, and they would have to run a heat pump to get anything from it. Maybe THAT'S his angle. Yes, there are alternative energy sources - geothermal, wind, solar - but now let's talk about affordable, viable options that the poor bastard who can't afford oil can use right now.

For all we know so far, he burns coal but does not want to use himself as a source of information as he is afraid that that would be seen as bias. Really, pages of this thread wouldn't have ever come to being if he had simply stated in his original post WHAT he wanted to write. The fact that he didn't state his purpose leads me to believe that his motive are nefarious, but I thought that I would try to point out the other side of the coin.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 12:03 am

I'll admit it I had to look this one up.

Main Entry: ne·far·i·ous
Pronunciation: \ni-ˈfer-ē-əs\
Function: adjective
Date: circa 1609
: flagrantly wicked or impious : evil

Horace

Post by Horace » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 12:58 am

Sorry about that, Trader. English major in college.

Now I'm a journalist.

No, no, I'm just kidding. I dated a journalist for a while. Nice girl. She liked my ... wait for it ... my diction.
Last edited by Horace on Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horace

Post by Horace » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 1:50 am

vtec350 wrote: It was the grape smugglers :P
I thought it was a Banana Hammock ...?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 6:06 am

I don't know.......I think allot of you guys are looking at that pic a little to intently!?!? :P :inlove: :devil:

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sat. Oct. 11, 2008 10:03 am

Little being the key word :nana: :nana:

jotuler

Post by jotuler » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 11:51 am

Just spitballing here, but why don't we incourage this reporter to start burning coal and use the forum as a guide. We all know burning coal has a fast learning curve, and within a few weeks he (or she) will have gone through some of the same process that we have. Writing about burning coal is not like writing about professional sports, we can all learn to burn coal, we all can't ply pro sports. My advice to the reporter don't ask,do.
Jotuler

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Tue. Oct. 21, 2008 12:04 pm

Devil505 wrote:
stovepipemike wrote:I will always remember the oil smeared face of the drowned sailor we were shown in boot camp. The title of the film was "Loose Lips Sink Ships", It sums up my thinking! Mike
I'm actually not real concerned that coal heating will become all that popular again. As we all know, it's allot more work than just walking over to the wall & turning your thermostat up so I think it will remain a "fringe" home heating technique. (it was pretty popular in the mid 1980's when I started but pellet & gas stove took over)
Not if you have the Coal-Trol :D

NorthernNewYork

Post by NorthernNewYork » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 10:35 am

Has anyone seen the final article yet?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 29, 2008 11:17 am

NorthernNewYork wrote:Has anyone seen the final article yet?
Nope & never heard a word from the guy??

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Sun. Mar. 27, 2011 8:12 pm

The other 6 results predated the thread. It appears the Mr Bray never did publish an article on the residential use of coal in the Globe.

Source 8 results for "coal" from Boston Globe
Author is "Hiawatha Bray"
Boston Globe
Utility defends Cape Wind contract
...generated by Cape Wind will be significantly more costly than current rates for electricity produced by burning natural gas or coal. National Grid plans to pay 20.7 cents per kilowatt-hour for the power when Cape Wind starts producing in 2013, compared... (Page B5, 502 words)
By: Hiawatha Bray|Date: Jun 5, 2010
http://www.boston.com/news/science/articles/2010/ ... wind_contr...
Boston Globe
Reinventing the flywheel (Archive fee)
...extra power now and then. Usually, they get it by burning more coal, oil, or gas. Beacon Power Corp. says it has a better idea...regional electric grids rely on a handful of generators (powered by coal, gas, or oil) to vary their output and regulate grid frequency...
By: Hiawatha Bray|Date: Sep 15, 2008
Boston Globe Archive (Nominal fee required)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”