Journalist Seeks Coal Users

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:06 pm

So is anyone retuning this guys call(back on topic)? when this fellow writes his article post it so we can all critique it.Should be a good read :shock:
DON

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:13 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:o is anyone retuning this guys call(back on topic)? when this fellow writes his article post it so we can all critique it.Should be a good read :shock:
DON
I emailed him & told him I had 26 years of home heating with coal experience. I got an email back saying: "Sounds Good!"

That was last week & I've heard nothing further. I'll keep the forum advised if I hear from him. Anyone else respond to him?

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Devil505 wrote:I emailed him & told him I had 26 years of home heating with coal experience. I got an email back saying: "Sounds Good!"

That was last week & I've heard nothing further.
Dick, You probably won't either. That's the problem, you've been burning for 26 years so he knows you're happy with it. He's looking for someone who tried it and hated it so he can print his negative story against coal and how how it's dirty and poluting our towns. Good news never sells papers, just look at all the trash magazines at the checkout :lol:

Not sure how it is out there in Eastern Ma., but here, since it's got colder, the papers have had a few stories about the outdoor wood boilers and not one was good. Now, every town wants to ban them and some already have! Sorry, but the only thing I look foward to in the newspaper is the day I see my lottery numers come up :dancing: :P

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 10:40 pm

vtec350 wrote:Dick, You probably won't either. That's the problem, you've been burning for 26 years so he knows you're happy with it. He's looking for someone who tried it and hated it so he can print his negative story against coal and how how it's dirty and poluting our towns. Good news never sells papers, just look at all the trash magazines at the checkout :lol:
Wow Dave!!...I thought I was he most cynical guy around but I have take my hat off to you!! :cheers:

Seriously, I think you're wrong about the negative angle. I sure hope so! I think more people would be interested in seeing how someone can be wearing shorts around the house, in mid January & spending very little money compared to others who turn up their wall thermostat on their traditional oil furnace & watch thousands of dollars literally go up in smoke.
There are so few of us coal burners around that we are viewed (and envied) as a peculiarity more than a real threat to the environment.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 10:45 pm

kootch88 wrote:
What is it about America that you actually love other than being born here?
This wasn't directed at me, either, but I'll throw in my answer. The fact that this whole discourse about this guy exists on this site. The fact that within reason, as long as we stay within the site rules, you can post your opinion. It's the perfect example of "I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight to the death to protect your right to say it."

This guy is going to write the article whether or not any of us participate. Someone said that he's looking for someone who burned coal and hates it so he can turn into a negative article. That may be true, but they will generally show both sides of the coin. If no one with knowledge talks to him, then he's only got the dork who tried it and hated it. I won't volunteer for the article because I've only burned for a few years and I do not consider myself any kind of expert. I've read a lot of information on this site and this is a group of some of the most intelligent, knowledgeable, and resourceful people I've ever come across. Would you rather he talked to you or to someone he found who has had a stove for a year, doesn't understand it, can't run it properly, and hates it because he doesn't want to love it. That was ME the first year I burned coal. Now I understand it, my stove runs properly, and I will never burn anything else.

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer." If you want to impress the guy, get in touch with him. Invite him into your home. Let him experience the heat, see the stove (they're 'pretty' now), show him the process. Tell him how much you are saving on heating costs. He'll slant it the way he wants, sure, but at least you tried. If you do talk to him, record it. If he leaves out the important parts, rail him in a letter the editor.

Better yet, someone tell him that Harman stoves are a year on backorder and tell him to go find out why.

Horace
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman ST8-VF8 / Frankenstove

Post by Horace » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 10:54 pm

Devil505 wrote:
There are so few of us coal burners around that we are viewed (and envied) as a peculiarity more than a real threat to the environment.
Ah, but there's the rub. Let's say they wanted to rub out anyone who burns oil. That's a HUGE group of people. If they rub out all the coal burners, they can at least say that they have done something to help the environment, even if the overall effect is to only change things a little. Or not at all, really, since we would all go to oil or gas or, better yet, the burning of city hall.

Wasn't there a group who wanted to get rid of all the cows because cow farts were causing the greenhouse effect? There are some seriously insane people out there.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Agree with everything you say Horace. (in your 10:45pm post) I think most people who are paying $4,000 -$6,000.00 per year to freeze in their homes would envy someone who keeps his house at 70* for less than $800.00/year. Which story would sell more papers? ..The one that complains about a few coal burners "polluting" the environment or the one with a large photo of a guy in shorts...... in January......, during a blizzard who, despite having lost electricity is still warm as toast!

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Devil...... That would be hard for even a "greenie" to argue with being warm in your undies for 8 hundred against 4 to 5 thousand...And that is probabaly conservative for oil....I know in my old farm house it takes 16 to 1800 gallons of arab oil to heat to a decent temp

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 6:32 am

Devil,
If that article has a pic with you in your shorts I'm NOT even opening that paper! :P

Could someone please post if this happens...I don't want to go blind.
DON

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 6:44 am

BIG BEAM wrote:Devil,
If that article has a pic with you in your shorts I'm NOT even opening that paper! :P

Could someone please post if this happens...I don't want to go blind.
DON
I don't know Don........I don't think I look too bad for almost 62 years old. Here's a pic my wife took yesterday when I was shaking down the TLC! :lol: :devil:

(a little warm due to Indian Summer)

Attachments

arntz32.jpg
.JPG | 18.5KB | arntz32.jpg

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 4:35 pm

[quote="Devil505"]Wow Dave!!...I thought I was he most cynical guy around but I have take my hat off to you!! [/quot

Bow to the new king :notworthy: :notworthy: :funny:

orvis

Post by orvis » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 5:35 pm

Bigbeam, YOU don't understand, which was the point of my post. You listen to FOX and believe everything they tell you? Or CBS or ABC? No, but that doesn't mean everything they report to you is garbage. Man, some of you guys should really get take a serious look at yourselves. What is it about America that you actually love other than being born here? All we hear is how bad they are and it is, etc. Go somewhere where you like it!!
First of all, telling BIGBEAM he does not understand is a personal comment of an insulting nature. Keep it to yourself. Richard runs a clean board.

I love everything about the USA, except the parasitic leftist media that will slither lower than an intestinal tape worm in an attempt to destroy it.

I agree that not everything the media prints is garbage. For it to be 100% garbage, the media would have to actually do some research so that they could be wrong 100% of the time. The way they are now, about 50% is garbage, which is just as good as flipping a coin. The media has an agenda they push, mostly hard left. Every story is chosen or warped and twisted based on that leftist agenda.
Granola eaters? GOOD
Coal burners? UNGOOD.
A real headline of the future:
World ends: Women, minorities hardest hit.
For a constantly running compendium of the trash that legacy media puts out, you only need to browse:
http://www.fark.com/

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 6:29 pm

orvis wrote:First of all, telling BIGBEAM he does not understand is a personal comment of an insulting nature. Keep it to yourself. Richard runs a clean board.
The "operative words" in that sentence are that Richard runs a clean board.... buddy.....not you! When Richard names you a moderator then you will have the right to tell people to "Keep it to yourself." Until then I have a bit of advise:...... As a brand new forum member, YOU should "Keep it to YOURSELF!"
(do you have any interest in .......coal by chance???.....Very few of your posts even mention it)

While we forum members may often squabble about politics, religion or other human interactions in the "Off Topic" forum, we all share an interest in & desire to help out our fellow coal burners as our main reason for being here. I'll ask you nicely....Since you obviously have little interest in coal heating, why are you here?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:00 pm

Devil505 wrote:I don't know Don........I don't think I look too bad for almost 62 years old. Here's a pic my wife took yesterday when I was shaking down the TLC! :lol: :devil:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...... :sick: :fear: :sick:

:funny:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Fri. Oct. 10, 2008 7:06 pm

SMITTY wrote:I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...... :sick: :fear: :sick:
It was the hat, wasn't it???? :lol:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”