Journalist Seeks Coal Users

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 6:44 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:Oh yeah Devil,I'm only trying to help you through your political withdrawal.

You must be getting the shakes by now :P
Nah.......Like any good addict......I'm back to "mainlining" again!! :woot: :partyhat:

kootch88
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kootch88 » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Maybe we should speak with the guy and see what he is up to before rushing to judgment. We aren't stashing grenade launchers in the mountains of Montana waiting to overthrow the government by burning coal, or is that how you folks see yourselves? I did some writing long ago and I wasn't interested in frying anyone when I went into a story. I went in thinking there may be a story or there may not be. I know there were those that had that intention, but most of us didn't, believe it or not.

John

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 9:05 pm

Thanks Kootch, that's one of the most reasonable posts on this thread.. Give the journalist a chance.. we obviously had a noose ready if he chooses to stick his neck out..

Greg L

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 9:20 pm

If you guys knew the demographic of the Globe, you'd understand the worry.

Most readers are east of 495 (that's rte. 495 to non- MA folks) & are the same people who keep electing the morons that run this state. They are HELL BENT on saving the world & are GREEN GREEN GREEN! :roll: Just try to ride an off-road vehicle (ATV or dirt bike) in that part of the state -- they'll send out the swat team.......... because Suzy liberal is trying to concentrate in her 6,ooo sq. ft. hip roof colonial on .0007 acres so she can telepathically contact the dali lama! :funny: :funny: :funny:

I CAN'T see a non-biased story going out to those people.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a law passed taxing the hell out of coal because it's "dirty" , about 3 days after the story breaks

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 9:44 pm

SMITTY wrote:Most readers are east of 495 (that's rte. 495 to non- MA folks) & are the same people who keep electing the morons that run this state. They are HELL BENT on saving the world & are GREEN GREEN GREEN! :roll:
Hey......I live inside of the 495 belt & have been burning coal for.....(gulp)...over a 1/4 of a century!! :cry2:

(That's ok....I'll be fine..... :smoke:)

I burn coal, refuse to recycle trash, own a shotgun & a handgun, am not PC, drink beer, have a workshop (with power tools), own a snow blower, etc............am basically an educated redneck with all his teeth! :lol: :devil:

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 10:43 pm

SMITTY wrote:Just try to ride an off-road vehicle (ATV or dirt bike) in that part of the state
Smitty

I'm in Wmass and we had a couple come out and threaten us with shovels raised in hand :lol: While we were quading, and not on their property . Boy were they surprised when we took off our helmets and realized we weren't some teenage kids :eek2:
But, back on topic, I've never seen any newspaper in this state print the truth and there's way to many enviro whackos here to take that chance. Just look at the *censored* they're causing with the outdoor wood boilers. Next they'll be having us coal users responsible for global warming :fear:

Dave

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Oct. 08, 2008 11:45 pm

xackley wrote:Is there any data on the relationship of the amount of pollutants comparing equal BTU of anthracite/wood/oil. I also wonder if all of our chimneys added together would come close to equaling the output of one powerplant smoke stack.
Here is sum on Anthracite Vs Bituminous take a look at the Sulfur % content between the two
There is a real big differents between the to

http://books.google.com/books?id=NuDn7uGOYfgC&pg= ... t#PPA17,M1

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 5:45 am

kootch88 wrote:Maybe we should speak with the guy and see what he is up to before rushing to judgment. We aren't stashing grenade launchers in the mountains of Montana waiting to overthrow the government by burning coal, or is that how you folks see yourselves? I did some writing long ago and I wasn't interested in frying anyone when I went into a story. I went in thinking there may be a story or there may not be. I know there were those that had that intention, but most of us didn't, believe it or not.

John
As long as you don't mind being lied to !You guys don't understand,it HAS to be negitive to sell papers,and if what he writes doesn't sell he's out of a job.It's the nature of the business.
Do you think he's going to tell you that the article will be negative toward coal?
Do you think the article will say"people save thousands on home heating?That won't sell.
What will sell is people save thousands burning coal,BUT AT WHAT PRICE !blah..blah..blah
there has got to be negativity in there or it wont sell.
DON

I'm paraphrasing:If we don't learn from our past we're doomed to repeat it.

kootch88

Post by kootch88 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 7:51 am

As long as you don't mind being lied to !You guys don't understand,it HAS to be negitive to sell papers,and if what he writes doesn't sell he's out of a job.It's the nature of the business.
Do you think he's going to tell you that the article will be negative toward coal?
Do you think the article will say"people save thousands on home heating?That won't sell.
What will sell is people save thousands burning coal,BUT AT WHAT PRICE !blah..blah..blah
there has got to be negativity in there or it wont sell.
DON

I'm paraphrasing:If we don't learn from our past we're doomed to repeat it.
Bigbeam, YOU don't understand, which was the point of my post. You listen to FOX and believe everything they tell you? Or CBS or ABC? No, but that doesn't mean everything they report to you is garbage. Man, some of you guys should really get take a serious look at yourselves. What is it about America that you actually love other than being born here? All we hear is how bad they are and it is, etc. Go somewhere where you like it!! Go to China where they could care less if you burn coal or not. Maybe Mexico so you can drive there with your stove in tow and pretty much do anything you want, and it gets nice and cold in the mountains.

Maybe all you read in the paper is the trash and negative stuff, I don't know, but there is a whole lot more there believe it or not, but you have to actually read the "goshdarned" thing. Isn't that how our esteemed Sarah would say it? Once again, I am betting you have never written a word or worked on a paper and your only reference is hearing politicians tell you the media screwed them when they were too stupid to answer a question with any intelligence. Isn't that what ballplayers do all the time too? It is because they are too stupid to either think about what they are saying or they actually are clueless as to what they are saying.

John
Last edited by kootch88 on Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:05 am

BIG BEAM wrote:As long as you don't mind being lied to !You guys don't understand,it HAS to be negitive to sell papers,and if what he writes doesn't sell he's out of a job.It's the nature of the business.
I think the article will be more along the lines of "Todays Coal burners are not your Granddads dirty Coal stoves" & come at it from that angle. With home heating prices so high, the Globe would generate more interest in showing another viable heat source to consider. Now, would that be good for us for coal to become popular? Probably not but I don't see it ever gaining much popularity due to the work involved.

kootch88

Post by kootch88 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:12 am

Devil,

I have been burning wood for the past 30 years and wood seems to be more work to me than coal, and look how popular wood is up here in Maine? Who knows what angle the guy will take. The only way we will KNOW, is to have a conversation with him. By the way, that carries over to enemies too, if we don't talk with them, how can we ever come to terms with each other unless it is "my way or the highway" which has worked really well, hasn't it? We sure changed Cuba didn't we?

John

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 8:22 am

kootch88 wrote:Who knows what angle the guy will take.
Totally agree on both counts John. That's why I sent in my name to him & will be glad to hear him out. Why would anyone want to buy a Globe to read about how dirty coal stoves are?? People are desperate to find cheaper ways to heat their homes, they are not desperate to read a newspaper story that blasts coal heating.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 3:22 pm

Hey I'm just giving you guys my opinion but.as my old grandma used to say

IF YOU BURN YOUR A$$ YOU SIT ON THE BLISTERS !
And don't whine when the article is negitive !

BTW I don't believe anything I read or hear and only half of what I see.
Everybody has an agenda, whether they admit it is another story.
DON
Last edited by BIG BEAM on Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 3:24 pm

Devil505 wrote:People are desperate to find cheaper ways to heat their homes, they are not desperate to read a newspaper story that blasts coal heating.
Get enough of that from Al Gore, don't they?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Oct. 09, 2008 6:34 pm

kootch88 wrote:What is it about America that you actually love other than being born here? All we hear is how bad they are and it is, etc. Go somewhere where you like it!!
I know this wasn't directed at me. but I love America , but HATE Massachusetts -- the state government & a large percentage of the population too. I stay here because of my wife, many childhood friends that I still talk to & see on a regular basis, & my family.

I've traveled across the country a couple times. I've been to Alaska, & I've lived in Arizona & Cali. I've met people from just about every state -- & everyone agrees that Massachusetts is it's own little world, far apart from the rest of the country. The way the people act toward each other, the crappy roads the state can't seem to afford to fix while everyone is taxed on a state average yearly income barely under $100K :shock: , the strange laws we used to have ( like illegal tattooing, can't buy booze on Sunday & can't hunt on Sunday :roll: ) , the auto inspection program that democrats created -- which hurts the poor & benefits the rich ( I thought they were the poor man's best friends???), road salt & giant craters -- called potholes-- that turns your new car into a pile of *censored* after 5 yrs, etc etc etc -- I could go on for weeks!!!!

BELIEVE ME -- if I had no friends or family here, I'd be having a long talk with the wife & I'd be putting this over-valued dump on the market for some other sucker to buy, & our asses would be heading down south! :yes: I'd buy a house in the backwoods with double-digit acreage & ride, hunt & make my white-lightning with no one to bother me! :up:

I'd rather live in a state where I have at least something in common with the majority of the people that live there! :roll:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”