Journalist Seeks Coal Users

Watha

Post by Watha » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 10:46 pm

I'm working on a story about people who heat their homes with coal. I'd like to talk to some of you, preferably those living in Massachusetts or elsewhere in New England. This is on the level; view the link for examples of my work.

Interested? Thanks.

Hiawatha Bray
Technology Reporter
Boston Globe

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 10:59 pm

Sounds good unless you're going to twist it around and turn it into an unfavorable story against coal. SOrry but I don't trust the media. I would rather stay under the radar and let others figure it out for themselves. I don't want my neighbors reading a story that could turn them against my heating with coal.
Last edited by traderfjp on Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:08 pm

Nice reply traderfjp,
Can I get an AMEN! :)

Mark

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Welcome Hiawatha Bray,

If you want to ask me any questions feel free to post them here, PM or email me them with them. I'm sure many forum members will be eager to supply information as well. Most here are "addicted" to coal use.

To be fair Trader the articles Mr. Bray is writing appear to be technology related, be interesting to hear what basis for the article is.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:15 pm

Just require your approval for any copy that gets to be published. That will make them go away in a hurry. I've never had a newspaper journalist get my story exactly right when it gets in print. Especially those on a deadline schedule.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 11:33 pm

In Colorado they can only burn wood on odd days. I would hate to hear that happen because an article stirs the pot about carbon foot prints and dirty coal. Also, what about storage. Most people think that coal is very flammable so storage could be an issue. Some members have over 48 tons of coal stored at their house. I can see the headlines now. Is your neighbor killing you with black lung and endangering your family. No thank you. Many times journalists don't get all the facts and make a rush to judgement. Count me out.

Yanche: Fat chance of that happening.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:37 am

Well I thought maybe you guys were being alittle harsh on Hiawatha but I just scrolled through the examples of recent columns and none of them have anything to do with energy, alternative of otherwise. They are all related to computers, cell phones, video games, etc. Makes me suspicious now too.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:44 am

Maybe he's doing an article on how people are using the internet such as this forum to gather information about energy use. :?:

For the record he contacted me many months ago probably around his join date which is in January requesting permission to post this. I figured he must have dropped the story idea.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:48 am

Ma, get me my shootin' iron! We don't take kindly to no outsiders around here fixin' to tell the world bad things about us folks! You city slickers with your fancy e lectric writing machines! Now git outa here b fore I send the hounds after ya.....

To be fair trader, the guy writes tech articles, not editorials. Hardly the place you would find negative press that will turn the world against coal heating and cause lawmakers to sit up and take notice and think "I should propose a law banning that".
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed offtopic image

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:15 am

I sent my name in & will participate if asked,. Sounds to me more like a story of "How are Americans coping with the home heating crisis in this country" kinda thing, rather than a coal bashing story....That's my guess.
My real question is....Do we coal burners WANT all this attention & possibly more usage of coal?
Won't that just drive coal prices up?....What scenario could possibly make more U.S. coal usage advantageous to us??? :gee:

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:17 am

My real question is....Do we coal burners WANT all this attention & possibly more usage of coal?
No we don't! I still don't have all my coal for this winter yet :(

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:30 am

I agree that I would not want to be the source of information for any published articles either. But I'm at a loss to understand why any one of us would need to be "interviewed". There's enough information contained in this forum to publish ten articles. All the writer has to do is spend time reading and he/she will find whatever's needed. I think it's all been posted at least once.
-Len :?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:34 am

Coalen: Maybe the journalist needs to be hand feed. I'm done with crushed bannanas and diapers. I agree there is plenty here for anyone to write an article. Coal gets so much bad press and ANthracite is so misunderstood that this is dangerous ground to be on.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:40 am

I just hope its a positive column so we don't have to issue a 'coal Fatwa"!
Last edited by coalkirk on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed offtopic image

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:49 am

CoaLen wrote:But I'm at a loss to understand why any one of us would need to be "interviewed". There's enough information contained in this forum to publish ten articles.
Interviewing a real person makes for a more interesting...... "Here's what your neighbor Joe Blow does to save money " story. Sells more Globes! :lol: (remember...Newspapers exist to make money by selling ads......If they weren't selling advertising they'd be selling shoes or refrigerators! ;) :devil:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”