Journalist Seeks Coal Users

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:57 am

I will always remember the oil smeared face of the drowned sailor we were shown in boot camp. The title of the film was "Loose Lips Sink Ships", It sums up my thinking! Mike

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 9:09 am

stovepipemike wrote:I will always remember the oil smeared face of the drowned sailor we were shown in boot camp. The title of the film was "Loose Lips Sink Ships", It sums up my thinking! Mike
I'm actually not real concerned that coal heating will become all that popular again. As we all know, it's allot more work than just walking over to the wall & turning your thermostat up so I think it will remain a "fringe" home heating technique. (it was pretty popular in the mid 1980's when I started but pellet & gas stove took over)

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 9:37 am

Wait, there's one ready to leave now!
:D :D

Terry,

It's just that things like this can be absurd, I can't be serious about it. Sounds like we are a bunch of back-ass-wards hicks who don't want no outsiders messin' around here. :mad:
Last edited by CoalHeat on Sat. Apr. 01, 2017 12:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed offtopic image

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 9:40 am

My real question is....Do we coal burners WANT all this attention & possibly more usage of coal?
Won't that just drive coal prices up?....What scenario could possibly make more U.S. coal usage advantageous to us???
I am pretty new to this coal burning but I have been burning pellets for some time now and when I started buying pellets, I was paying I think $165/ton. With the popularity of pellets growing over the years and seeing news articles everywhere on this, pellets are extremely hard to come by. This year I paid $285/ton and I had to order them July and I still don't get them until next week.
I think I am one of the lucky ones.

Just my 2 nickels, 3 dimes and 2 cents.

Mark

orvis

Post by orvis » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 1:01 pm

There are plenty of things lawmakers could regulate about home heating with coal. The fact we are a minority makes that EASIER for them not harder.
(ideas for them deleted)
If you cannot think of 10 things right off the bat that could be regulated, you are not trying. :lol:

http://sevenhillspatriot.files.wordpress.com/2007 ... 117516.jpg

Makes sense devil would pipe up. :roll:

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 1:23 pm

Today the government issued a new national law banning all coal burning in our great nation. Not something I want to read.

xackley

Post by xackley » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 2:14 pm

Is there any data on the relationship of the amount of pollutants comparing equal BTU of anthracite/wood/oil. I also wonder if all of our chimneys added together would come close to equaling the output of one powerplant smoke stack.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 3:23 pm

I don't know but I can tell you that when ever I've gotten a wiff of my oil burner fumes I wanted to gag and my lungs would hurt. However, if I open my coal stove and get a wiff it smells a little funky but doesn't seem toxic like the oil burner fumes.

orvis

Post by orvis » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 4:28 pm

They are in the tank for obama. They push filthy lies about palin.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit-archive/archives2/025210.php

The only reason to get the newspaper now is if you have a parrot cage to line. In that case, get the WSJ. At least they attempt to be fair.

The sooner Leftist media go bankrupt, the better for the rest of us.

vtec350

Post by vtec350 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 6:28 pm

Tell Hiawatha to contact Joe Biden and ask him his opinions on coal :chop:

Screw the Boston Globe :down: :down: :rambo2:

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 6:52 pm

I once posted on a forum for alternative power and mentioned that anthricite was not like soft coal and just the word "coal" was enough to get me strung up ...kinda like here when mentioning he was the "media' I think all the hostility and skeptisism is justified as we all know they will probably show a power plant from the 30's belching black smoke as an intro to the article because they don't have a clue what a clean burning stoker or a well adjusted hand fired is like......
I am sure a whole lot of maladjusted oilburners are spewing a lot more carbon out into the air

orvis

Post by orvis » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 7:56 pm

Biden is both for and against "clean coal"
just depends what side of the street he is hustling any given day. :roll:

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit-archive/archives2/025275.php

Or maybe it is a "senior" monent :lol:

And how come the boston globe has time to look into coal, but cannot be bothered by the blatant dishonesty going on in obamas fund raising?
Mr. Good Will - who lists his employer as "Loving" and his profession as "You" - has contributed 1,000 times to the Barack Obama campaign.
http://pjmedia.com/instapundit-archive/archives2/025304.php

Bah. Feh. and p-tui.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:24 pm

xackley wrote:Is there any data on the relationship of the amount of pollutants comparing equal BTU of anthracite/wood/oil. I also wonder if all of our chimneys added together would come close to equaling the output of one powerplant smoke stack.
There has been at least one significant thread discussing this. There was at least one document linked too in that topic with some pretty hard numbers:

Anthracite Stack Emmisions

If I remember correctly the CO2 emissions of anthracite are quite high but other emissions are on par with gas and oil. Lower in some cases. The thing to remember is anthracite contains mostly carbon and doesn't have the volatile matter that bit. coal contains. Wood if I understand it correctly is much worse.

It's something really hard to quantify though, for example people might think they are being green using electric but when its all said and done burning anthracite right in your home is going to be less because more than 50% of the electricity is generated with coal and an inefficient delivery system. People may think wood is clean but those outdoor wood boilers are pretty common now and those are far from green. If I understand it correctly they aren't very efficient especially when burning wet wood which is really common. This produces a prodigious amount of emissions............

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:35 pm

orvis wrote:And how come the boston globe has time to look into coal, but cannot be bothered by the blatant dishonesty going on in obamas fund raising?
What was the topic again? :gee:

slb04786

Post by slb04786 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 9:37 pm

Our regional daily newspaper ran a nice article about coal burning in Northern Maine this past week. Here is a link to the article
http://bangornews.com/detail/90265.html

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”