Fuel "Coal" Consumption

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Greetings to the board,

Well, I started my stove this week, for heat this time, not to just see it burn. :lol: :lol: And I wanted to bounce this off other stoker "girly man" stove owners. I have kept the stove at an idle, I mean the lowest feed rate allowed. It is still burning, but im on the path for a 1.1 pound of coal to an hour usage. Again, just getting a baseline but does this seem excessive? I don't think so but have no prior experience to go by. The stove (DVC-500) has been set on stove temp, means a constant feed rate not effcted by room temp. Im pleased with the performance, have had the distribution fan on lowest setting. Temps have been mid 40's to mid 50's and house has been more than warm enough (kitchen window has been open all week). Which brings me to another question about humidity but Ill start another thread as it's a bit off the normal topic here. Anyone else monitor the fuel consumption of their stove?

Sorry, should of added this. Blaschak bagged coal,

Thanks,

Gr.

PS: Linc, you been burning yet?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 9:32 pm

Alaska Channing at idle uses 1/2 lb per hour.

BK

k9 Bara

Post by k9 Bara » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 9:40 pm

bksaun,

Ty for the reply. Whats the min BTU's on your stove?

Gr

gambler

Post by gambler » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 10:18 pm

I also use 1/2 pound or less per hour on idle. My stove is rated at a 5000 BTU min but if your coal will keep burning at a slower rate then the min will be lower. What do they rate the Harman at ? and is harmans rating input or output BTU's My stove is input.

k9 Bara

Post by k9 Bara » Fri. Oct. 03, 2008 10:38 pm

I had to ck the manual, the input / output question threw me. It says 7,000 BTU output for the min. The manual also say's (after you do the math) that it will idle at .9 pounds or better. Its still running, not sure how much longer though. Thanks for the help.

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Linc » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:33 am

GR, I haven't burned since last weekend. I'm guessing but I think I'm using less than 1#/hr. I've burned for around 20-24 hrs and used maybe 15#. I made a few changes and didn't want to burn until I would be home to monitor the stove. I'm going to light it up today. If the weather doesn't change back to warm/hot then I will keep the stove running for the duration.

I think next weekend I'll be taking a run up to Oswego Supply for a pallet of Blaschak. That will probably be the only bagged coal I will get. After that I will be getting bulk again.

k9 Bara

Post by k9 Bara » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 10:17 am

Linc,

Good to hear from you. Let me know if you need a hand tomorrow. Its been cold, I figured you were running hot. :)

Ok, well is there usually a consumption of fuel difference between draft style and direct vent stoves? I cant say anything bad about the DVC but surprised at the higher than other stoves hunger. I understand the min BTU output is higher @ 7000, is that an average min output for a direct vent?

I know my questions might be a PITA, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to understanding things, but I enjoy learning. :? :D

Thank you again,

George

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 10:48 am

Alaska say's the channing III is 5K-85K, but with my tall chimney I think it will be able to burn much lower than that.

The width of my fire at low setting is 1/4 in wide or about the width of a pencil and it will hold that for day's on end when it is warm.

Bk

Linc

Post by Linc » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 5:31 am

GR,
Is there any other adjustments you can make to lower the feed rate? Maybe an adjuster on the carpet/pusher feed like on the Alaska that I have? I don't know much about other stoves so your's may or may not.

I am close to 24hrs burn time and the Alaska is idling right along beautifully. :D It kept the house at 74* up till towards evening and then it raised up to 78*. I assume that it is the lowering temp outside increasing the draft but I could be wrong. ;) I made another adjustment on the reostat and when I got up this morning it was a nice 72*.

Linc

Post by Linc » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 8:34 am

GR,

My burn is a little over 24hrs and I've used around 19-20#. I'm sure I don't have the feed at the lowest setting but I can't be too far from it. I have a fire band of 1 1/4"-1 1/2" . The temp in the house is holding at 72*.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 10:36 am

Hi K9, is your exhaust or flue pipe really hot? Is this 'extra' coal consumption going to waste??

If you are not overheating your house with the stove at this lowest setting, I wouldn't worry about it.. if you are burning 1.1# per hour, you should be getting more heat in the house than the guys burning only .7# per hour..

Enjoy your stove.. that 1.1# per hour is what, $5 per day to keep your place warm, compare to other fuels. you will smile..
I ran my propane boiler for a few nights to 'take the chill off' the house.. it cost me about $10-$15 per night.. !!

Greg L

k9 Bara

Post by k9 Bara » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks LsFarm,

It worked out to be 1.0 of coal to an hour. No, no coal was wasted at all. Im pleased with the consumption actually, I contribute it ti the direct vent because it run at the same speed/draft all the time. I only had a small amount of burning coal at all times and the house was plenty warm.
The Harman manual says it can get .9 pounds per hour so Im good with that.

Thank you for the replies,

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”