New Distribution Vent

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:08 am

Think I'm going to leave well enough alone! First cooler morning (38*) & I have the new vent on a timer set to kick on at 4:30am. (stove distribution blower set to go on at the same time) The whole living room/dining room/kitchen area is warmed very nicely with just the 75cfm fan gently blowing from the new vent & heat rising up the stairway, as usual. No detectable drafts blowing on you. (I think what I have accomplished also is, by providing another route for the warm basement air to get upstairs, I no longer need a fan blowing up the stairs from the basement & thus it is a loop. Warm air coming from the new vent & cold air more easily falling down the steps w/o fighting a fan blowing up from the basement. (I won't really know until the real cold weather gets here but it looks promising! :)

So......No need to add another floor vent in the LR/DR. (wife will be happy that no new holes will have to be cut in the floor! ;) )

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:45 am

The good thing about all this devil is even if you have to install another duct line and vent that your going to be inside a nice warm house to complete the work.

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:52 am

Adamiscold wrote:The good thing about all this devil is even if you have to install another duct line and vent that your going to be inside a nice warm house to complete the work.
True Adam. :)

What I am trying to achieve is to have all rooms, upstairs & down at the exact same temp. Right now, with fairly mild outdoor temps & the stove just idling, all rooms are with 1 degree!! :up:
I know this will change when I have to crank the stove up more (with colder outdoor temps) but I'll keep "tweaking" things! ;)

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Oct. 04, 2008 7:54 am

but I'll keep "tweaking" things!
Of course you will! :funny:

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 10:58 am

Epilogue:

The vent is making a big difference in warming up the far end of the house (far from the TLC) & drawing off allot of heat from the downstairs hall & sending it upstairs where it's needed. Another benefit is that, even when the fan is off, the duct & vent allows a trickle of warm air to flow upstairs by natural convection. (thermometers measured the same temp in the downstairs hall & at the floor vent upstairs)

Dallas
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Modified Russo C-35
Other Heating: Oil Hot Air

Post by Dallas » Sun. Oct. 05, 2008 11:17 am

Devil505 wrote:Epilogue:
even when the fan is off, the duct & vent allows a trickle of warm air to flow upstairs by natural convection.
Natural convection works, but it does have it's short comings, as you point out above. The fan will make the difference this winter. ... unless the power goes off, then natural convection will be "what's happen-in '" :!:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”