New members

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 10:14 am

Forgive me if this is the wrong location for this thread, in which case moderators please move and/delete this sentence. Thank you!

New members…Welcome home to the Coalpail Forum!!!

That’s right, I said welcome home … as in, the best dad-gum stove, chimney and general coal forum on the internet.

The Mayor runs a pretty tight ship here, but few need walk the plank as most are well behaved. For the most part the overwhelming majority here are pretty harmless, often very civil and polite, even the old crotchety one at heart is a great guy and chocked full of wisdom. :lol:

Been noticing a lot of new forum members here as of late, and that’s a good thing.

I’d encourage you all to jump in with both feet and ask questions while also taking the time to utilize the search function of this forum. If you really want to learn about old stoves and old stove designers, then the search function is your friend. Otherwise, if you can’t find information you’re looking for, just ask, be patient, and someone here will get you an answer. I encourage you to search “Sir William” and/or “williamsherrick” and just read.

The archives of this forum are a wonderful place to research all about a particular brand or model of stove, often in great detail and even some photos of tear downs, rebuilds, restorations, and modifications. You’ll find a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable forum members, some young, some new, many just plain ordinary codgers and maybe an old crotchety codger too. ;) . Pay close attention to those old crotchety codgers…lots of wisdom from many of these old timers. That’s why I love this place…lots of members who’ve been around for more than half a century and they’ve done and seen a lot in their lifetime. So you young whipper snappers, sit up, shut up, and pay attention…and above all…don’t be afraid to introduce yourself as a yungin’ and ask questions. This gang is here to help you, rest assured.

Once again new members, welcome aboard this old coal delivery wagon.
Last edited by Hoytman on Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 10:21 am

Nice intro to new members Bill. Only thing I would add is to really fill out your profile. It does help to shorten the conversation when someone near you can make a suggestion without having to go through several posts of narrowing down your location. Like Ffred says, I'm fairly sure no one here will steal you.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 10:34 am

waytomany?s wrote:
Sat. Dec. 02, 2023 10:21 am
Nice intro to new members Bill. Only thing I would add is to really fill out your profile. It does help to shorten the conversation when someone near you can make a suggestion without having to go through several posts of narrowing down your location. Like Ffred says, I'm fairly sure no one here will steal you.
Exactly! :yes: :lol:

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Wed. Dec. 06, 2023 8:35 pm

I didn't see the poll? Are we voting on who "the old crotchety one" is?

Is it me??? :o

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Thu. Dec. 07, 2023 12:14 pm

Must be you, they don’t come any crotchetyer than you. 🤪

Cab9189

Post by Cab9189 » Wed. Jan. 03, 2024 8:18 am

I have no idea how to post on here and I don't really understand half of the lingo that is used amongst this group so please be kind and patient. I'm here seeking information because the researching I've done online hasn't provided too much information. So, that being said....

My name is Courtney. I'm from a small town in Central Illinois founded in the later 1800s. My family has been here longer than the town so I can more than likely give any historic information needed. My parents own a home built in the late 1800s and have recently decided to upgrade their fireplace :( . I have pictures, the date is on it, it's in excellent condition(working.. I have a video of the last fire it had in it as well just last year) and if I could just be directed on where and how to post about its value and where I might be able to auction or sell it and if it would even be worth doing so given it holds sentiment to me I would appreciate it very much.
Thank you

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 04, 2024 12:16 pm

Welcome aboard C. Be patient. :) Start a new topic with pix.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 05, 2024 1:35 pm

Hi Courtney, take a little time to get familiar with the site and then if you still don’t know how to start a thread post back here and say so. We’ll help you start a thread. A good place to start would be in the antique stove section here Antiques, Baseburners, Kitchen Stoves, Restorations & Modern Reproductions if the stove is more than 70 years old. When you visit that section of the forum you should see a tab that says “New Topic”, click on it, create a thread title such as the name and model stove you want to talk about or get information about. There you can post videos and pictures.

When you get the information you need such as determining a value and you are wanting to sell it…go here For Sale Miscellaneous Items and start a thread with the selling information and pictures/video.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Jan. 05, 2024 1:36 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Thu. Jan. 04, 2024 12:16 pm
Welcome aboard C. Be patient. :) Start a new topic with pix.
Thee old crotchety one is still among us. :yes: :lol:

Ol’ Fred knows I am complimenting him and yanking his chain. :out:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Jan. 06, 2024 12:18 pm

Indeed he does Billy. :)

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”