Finally Snowing Here and Getting Colder

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Sat. Feb. 11, 2006 11:18 pm

u gotta love those nor'easters...lol
Busy day tomorrow snow plowing but atleast when I get home the house will be nice and warm..

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 6:51 am

Not so good for me, I'm stuck in NYC, Northwest Airlines canceled all flights from JFK to DTW, so I'm stuck here instead of getting home to Michigan.

I WISH I were home running the loader clearing drifts, or loading up the boiler. But no such luck, stuck at JFK.

Nothing constructive to do, just stare out the window at the snow, and play on the internet.

Greg L [LsFarm]

davemich

Post by davemich » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 7:01 am

John, Al the Michigander and the rest of you posters living in the Northeast, keep us posted on the storm. I heard last night driving back from Indianapolis that NYC could see up to 15 inches!! Windy as well...that would be a mess! 4-7 inches of lake effect snow predicted here today in SW Michigan.

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 7:41 am

Here at JFK, the wind is 20-30 mph, the visibility is around 1/2 milewith moderate to heavy snow. It's hard to tell how much snow has fallen. The wind blowing around the buildings cause bare spots and huge drifts. The snow equipment has been busy and are keeping the terminal area pretty clear.
But I'd guess we've had 8-12" so far. With another 8"+ to go today. The snow is not supposed to slow down till 4PM.

Greg L {Ls-not at his-Farm}

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 7:51 am

Dave..right now it is a white out here....probably 7-8 inches now..they are saying up to 15 in my area....snow will continue to 5-7 pm...

I am going to go out around 10am to plow the drive way.. it is about 200 feet...then do it again tonite...

I use a ATV 4 wheel drive with a plow on it...does a good job as long as it is not wet heavy snow....

plus it is bitterly cold with high winds....down to 8 degrees tonite...

one thing ..it is warm in here...lol....

AL

bobkat

Post by bobkat » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 9:49 am

Hi all,
Had some problems most of the night with the spark factory and unable to log on earlier. I was out with the horses about 7:00 and several spots were checked. average was about 8" then. I am going to check later when it finally stops for a final unoffical accumulation. Temps dropped to the lower 20's overnight and under other circumstances it would have been about 50* before the power finally came back on, however, it remained a comfortable 68* upstairs and about 75* in the basement. :)

Hey Greg, I guess cooling your heels at JFK would qualify as "spare time". Not all its cracked up to be is it!
:roll:
Bob

Pap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Pap » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 10:25 am

We got about 10" last night into this morning. I just came back in from plowing the drive way and side walks. I have an old Farmall cub 1948 with a plow on it. It does a good job for me, I have a snow blower to but I just jump on the old Cub and use it.

It is about 26* out side and 74 inside, it feels good when coming in from outside after an hour or so. Sorry to hear you are stuck in the airport, that must make for a long day/night. Any idea when you midge get out of there and head for home? Hope it is soon!!

Pap

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 10:54 am

I fly for a living, for JetBlue Airways. I landed at JFK last night about 7PM, and my sunday morning flight canceled due to the weather. But I was asked to stay at JFK to cover for other pilots unable to get into JFK to fly. But now with the storm slowing down, prolonging the snowfall, I doubt if any flights leave before 1-2PM.

And I'm still sitting around waiting for the phone to ring to give me a flight to fly or to release me to get home. IF there are any flights to get to DTW on?! JetBlue doesn't fly into DTW yet, so I'm at the mercy of other carriers.

Spare Time, definition: Time at home with nothing pressing to be done, in recliner, dog in lap, coffee at hand, book in other hand, nodding off for a snooze. It happens far too rarely. :-)

Greg L. { Ls-not-at-his-Farm}

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 12:33 pm

Greg

I hope you get home safely...and all is well when you arrive...it is still snowing here like a banshee....more now than earlier....

Glad it is a light snow...pushed real easy...will have to do another plow later tonite....

Al

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Hi Al, I shoveled the sidewalk at my 'crashpad' near JFK this morning. A crashpad is an apartment with bunkbeds shared by pilots, kind of like a dormatory.

The bottom 8" was heavy and wet snow, the top 3" or so was light, dry snow. Glad your's pushes easy.

Scheduling called and if the airport opens up after 3PM, like it is supposed to, then I will have a flight to Phoenix tonight, so I guess flying and making a few extra bucks is better than looking at the snow out the window.

Greg L

davemich

Post by davemich » Sun. Feb. 12, 2006 6:02 pm

26.9 inches in Central Park for a record! Wow! Greg, did you make it out to Phoenix?

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Feb. 13, 2006 3:40 am

Yep, flight left JFK about 1 hour late, I arrived in Phoenix around Midnight local time, 0200 eastern time.
Only about 62* in Phoenix, much better than NYC.

I don't think the JFK airport got over 12-14" but it is so open and windy there it is hard to tell. The taxiways were packed snow and ice, the runway patches of snow and ice, but do-able. Snow stopped by around 5-6PM.

Greg L

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Mon. Feb. 13, 2006 5:17 pm

Well final snowfall for me was 24 inches....good thing it was a powdery snow....I plow once yesterday and snow began to come down real heavy after plowing....snowed till around 8 pm I was not going out then to plow...was in the single digits also...around 6 degrees..

so after work today I plowed again....saying close to 50 on Friday now...rivers are over the banks now...lol

Glad you made it safely Greg....hope everyone else did ok also...spring is around the corner now....

Al

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Feb. 16, 2006 7:58 pm

We got next to nothing here in WNY, in fact, Wed. was 55 degrees! Gotta luv it.

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Thu. Feb. 16, 2006 9:49 pm

hit 61 here today new record...Good day to let the stove cool off and give it a good cleaning..low 20's for the high on sat and sunday

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”