Help with Info about a Coal Burner

nickpeterson

Post by nickpeterson » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 3:27 pm

Last year I moved into a house built in 1928. The house has water based radiant heat from a gas boiler. Down in the basement, next to the current boiler is this big old boy. I’d love to get it removed from the basement and was wondering if anyone collects these or any other thoughts?
337FED0C-408C-4DC4-BC1B-18B15D89B567.jpeg
.JPEG | 877KB | 337FED0C-408C-4DC4-BC1B-18B15D89B567.jpeg

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 4:23 pm

I dont know about the stove but that gauge and thermometer are pretty cool.

If you do sell it, keep in mind how miserable that beast will be to move. Might have to offer it free for removal if steps are involved, even if it has value.

nickpeterson

Post by nickpeterson » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 5:02 pm

Yeah, I kind of don't expect to make any money on it, I'm mostly interested if it's worth something to make it reasonable for someone to want to bear the burden of removing it without it costing me anything :)

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 5:20 pm

The house was built around it.

I'd keep it .. looks like it might be in good working order.

If your gas prices skyrocket, you might consider re-activating it.

If you really want to get rid of it, get yourself an angle grinder and have at it once everything is disconnected. Small pieces in the trash every week. It'll be gone soon.

I doubt you'll find anyone who is wanting to pick it up. You can leave it and routinely post "its free!" maybe someone will take it.

Good luck

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 5:59 pm

It comes apart in sections for moving.

nickpeterson

Post by nickpeterson » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 6:59 pm

This may be a really dumb question (or the exact right question given the forum), but what would be the best route to gauge if this was usable? I'd imagine they stopped using it at some point for good reason.

Who would one even call about such a project? I live in the Toledo, Ohio area.

I'm currently undergoing an hvac upgrade, and one issue that bugs me about going full electric is the fear, "What if electricity goes out in the dead of winter because of an ice storm". Having a natural gas backup is fine, but the gas company keeps raising the cost of even having a line regardless of how much gas you use. A coal furnace feels like the ultimate, "I'm the god of hellfire" heating backup...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 8:00 pm

If you'd put where ya are--someone might be able to help ya out--finish your AVATAR--nobody's gonna steal ya!!!!! :)

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 8:04 pm

nickpeterson wrote:
Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 6:59 pm
This may be a really dumb question (or the exact right question given the forum), but what would be the best route to gauge if this was usable? I'd imagine they stopped using it at some point for good reason.

Who would one even call about such a project? I live in the Toledo, Ohio area.

I'm currently undergoing an hvac upgrade, and one issue that bugs me about going full electric is the fear, "What if electricity goes out in the dead of winter because of an ice storm". Having a natural gas backup is fine, but the gas company keeps raising the cost of even having a line regardless of how much gas you use. A coal furnace feels like the ultimate, "I'm the god of hellfire" heating backup...
If it's still plumbed in, leave it be. Then do some research to see if you can use it for an emergency.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Apr. 16, 2023 2:59 pm

nickpeterson wrote:
Sat. Apr. 15, 2023 6:59 pm
I'd imagine they stopped using it at some point for good reason.
Not necessarily.. Using solid fuel (wood, coal, pellets ECT..) requires some level of attention and labor. Some people would rather lay out more dollars for set it and forget it functionality. Post a few more pics of it. Especially the interior. I'm willing to bet it could be ready to use other than connecting it to a chimney and reconnecting the hot water ins and outs if they've been disconnected.

And I agree... Having it on hand for backup emergency heat in this day and age of the electricity delirium is a very smart choice. The only thing you need to do is get educated on using it.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”