Tractor Supply Premium Nut Coal

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Dec. 14, 2022 9:52 am

TSC near me is carrying Miners Choice bagged coal now instead of Premium Nut coal. I’ve burned the Premium nut coal before and loved it.

A neighbor just give me 8 bags of Premium nut (white bag with green lettering) that was 7 years old and soaking wet inside.

Loaded some in the hod to dry for 12 hours and started burning it.

This stuff has the longest crazy blue flames. I love it! It acts just like the TSCPNC I had before. Blues last for nearly an hour…and I wasn’t even trying to rev the stove that hard.

Tractor Supply Premium Nut Coal in the white bags with green lettering. I love it!! :yes:

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 12:28 am

Back when Tractor Supply first got into coal sales, they were carrying Kimmels and I bought a few tons. It never got the blue ladies. The flames were always yellow.

Paul

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 7:09 am

I bought a few bags last winter and was very impressed with it.

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 4:51 pm

I havent found the time to fix up my shed for or get nut coal yet. I have bought a few bags of the TSC nut coal. I have no complaints with it, I wonder where it comes from though.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 8:38 pm

I’m not as impressed with the Miners Choice nut coal they are selling now.

Everyone here knows I run my stove nearly at idle all the time and I’m easily getting 30-40 minutes of blues after tending and reving her up just a little…like 300 above the doors…not roaring to 400-500 like a lot of folks. I bet that last another half hour if I burned that hot.

If you can find the white bags with green lettering that says, “Premium Nut Coal”, that is what you want.

davidmcbeth3
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea/anthra

Post by davidmcbeth3 » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 1:59 pm

For ten bucks a bag, any TSC coal should be doing my taxes too.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Idlorah wrote:
Thu. Dec. 15, 2022 4:51 pm
I havent found the time to fix up my shed for or get nut coal yet. I have bought a few bags of the TSC nut coal. I have no complaints with it, I wonder where it comes from though.
If you find seven year old bags buy them all...but I would say one color bag is NOT going to please just the same.

After the Kimmel's the switch was to Reading for the lion's share of TSC. and there is more than the one recent review of same.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 6:20 pm

I’m not saying to buy it for $10 bag…this was free that I got…8bags.

…and to bad reviews…my words, not McGeivers…I’ve given bad reviews of it myself with regard to being dirty…but it burned extremely well with lots of volatiles…these 8 bags are the same in every aspect. Lots of varying size coal, lots of dust so it’s dirty, and burns like a mad hatter.

I have no idea about this new “Miners Choice” nut coal TSC is selling now, as far as its burn. One bag burned like Blashak with volatiles near the same. Smaller sized pieces in-between Blashak nut and Blashak pea, and was also dirty/dusty. One bag is hardly a comparison.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 6:53 pm

Got $700 from HEAP--ended up with 70 bags--delivered & stacked $65.00--tax $27.35--I've got a good stash between bulk & bags--Thanx to those that know it never happened!!! :? :roll: :lol:

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Fri. Dec. 16, 2022 8:01 pm

Glad your set Fred. Getting and keeping a supply of wood would be a lot harder with your feet. Im glad Im able to cut wood and deal with it, something many people cant do. But it is still easy to complain about it, lol I will say it has gotten me in good shape again, maybe the splitting more than the cutting. I like burning ash more than I thought I would. And the fact that I planted the trees that Im burning I find neat.

Hoyt, Ive burned a lot of TSC, both bags you mention. Maybe 8 ton or so. What comes as good once might be bad the net time. No real consistancy. Ive said several times, one bag will be the best you ever had and the next will be nearly the opposite. Best luck I have with it is to dump it all out in a bin as it gets mixed up some and at least burns consistent that way. I always got it on sale and it was worth that price. Same price as Blaschak, nope. Glad you like it.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Dec. 17, 2022 3:05 am

I've only burned TSC coal a couple of times, half ton here and there, years ago. That was all back in their $4.99 Kimmels days. Good enough for shoulder season, but it was yellow flame semi-anthracite from the western end of the southern field. As such, it burned up pretty quickly.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 18, 2022 7:52 am

that stuff is better in a hand fed stove. Earl at the hegins breaker used to mix it and the nut coal burned real nice but i did not care for it in my stokers. They were up the hill from me but i prefered to go to mt carmel for my coal because my little toyota never got stuck at the dry breaker. i got stuck a few times at Sherman lol.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Sun. Dec. 18, 2022 8:07 am

hank2 wrote:
Sat. Dec. 17, 2022 3:05 am
I've only burned TSC coal a couple of times, half ton here and there, years ago. That was all back in their $4.99 Kimmels days. Good enough for shoulder season, but it was yellow flame semi-anthracite from the western end of the southern field. As such, it burned up pretty quickly.
Exactly what I found the early TSC Kimmels to be. It burned hot and acted like it was somewhere between coal and wood.

Great for quickly getting a stove started, or if trying to revive a near dead firebed, but barely could burn long enough to make it through a night. I kept the last few bags of the last ton stashed away just in case I had to revive a firebed.

Paul

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Mon. Dec. 19, 2022 5:21 pm

lincolnmania wrote:
Sun. Dec. 18, 2022 7:52 am
. i got stuck a few times at Sherman lol.
I'm sure that could've happened. My first time I went there and saw the retaining pond just below the loading zone I was worried :lol: At least you get a free wheel wash when you get loaded.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Feb. 08, 2023 9:10 am

I got a raincheck for 2 tons of rice coal from my local tsc last june for $5.99 a bag.

Got a call this morning that it's at the store and ready to be picked up.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”