I left the war. Are anthracite industrial boilers needed in Canada and the USA?

Revonik
Stoker Coal Boiler: Own manufacturing. 40-50-130-250-630-1200-1500 kW
Coal Size/Type: 6-13mm, 13-25mm

Post by Revonik » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 6:36 am

Hi all!
I used to be a frequent visitor to this forum. After 2014, there were many changes in my work and life because of our neighbor, and then the second war came on 02/24/22.

In connection with these events, I left for Europe, but my passion for coal heating did not go anywhere.
Previously I was in the family business designing, developing, manufacturing and installing anthracite automatic boilers. In total, we have more than 10 models of boilers with a capacity from 40 kW to 5 MW (from 130,000 BTU to 17,000,000 BTU).

Since I have a Visa to Canada, and in the Netherlands my six-month contract has now ended, there was time to reflect.

And what if I use the designs of boilers in a country where it is in demand? For example, with a company or partner that is already in business.

Therefore, I have a question for you, dear forum users.
What is the current policy in Canada and the United States regarding coal-fired boilers, are they planning to ban their use?
What is the current price for anthracite in Canada, is it economically feasible to use it in heating industrial facilities?

Here is an example of boiler in 3D:

Here is an example of a simple boiler house without automation of coal supply from the warehouse and ash removal from the ash receiver:

Grateful for any discussion

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 7:32 am

North America has gone insane. Anthracite prices have soared. Using Anthracite for industrial heating is a crap shoot.

Revonik

Post by Revonik » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 8:05 am

gaw wrote:
Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 7:32 am
North America has gone insane. Anthracite prices have soared. Using Anthracite for industrial heating is a crap shoot.
And what about bituminous coal, prices skyrocketed too?
I'm sure prices will stabilize over time.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 8:45 am

Canada is going woke, fast. Pushing to go green quickly as well. I don't believe anything coal, or fossil fueled has much time left there.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 10:06 am

The price of Anthracite coal has just about doubled except at a few select coal breakers. The companies sending coal overseas have doubled their prices and are leaving us on a fixed income out in the cold. We have quite a few coal stove and coal boiler manufacturers in Pennsylvania.
Problem is natural gas costs less in areas where it's available.
my coal delivery man wants $390 a ton delivered. It was $245 a ton delivered in Feb 2022.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 10:38 am

Sub bit and lignite may make it affordable in a few NW US states, North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming. Possibly in Canada near the border with those states there would be a demand. The lignite in North Dakota will be mined a very long time as they use it for power there, and their air is clean enough to pass rules, and their a more conservative state. I think its Central Coal in ND that they list their prices online. Im sure its went up but would still be cheap. But get more than a few hundred miles away and the freight would make it expensive.

Revonik

Post by Revonik » Sat. Dec. 03, 2022 1:11 pm

Thank you. Doesn't sound very promising for the prospects for coal heating. ;)

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 12:24 am

I know that there is Anthracite mined in British Columbia. I don't think that the huge Atrum co. Groundhog claim project has gotten underway. A lot of that is ultra high grade Anthracite for coking and not really useable by home heaters. There's is some just high grade if anyone mines it. I would suspect that Vancouver doesn't allow coal burning. I don't believe that Seattle or Portland in the US does either. I've read of some expected permitting of more new mines in Alberta, but that's sub bit or lignite.

I expect that Anthracite will be available for home heating in Pa., US, for a very long time, if any affordable sources for that use remain. It's mostly used for a very long list of other products, sugar beet processing and water filtration.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 8:39 pm

Anthracite coal Price increases of recent are not out of line. Anthracite is still a bargain as compared to the alternatives…he is talking large scale heating markets here. So no cord wood solutions.
Last edited by McGiever on Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 12:24 am

There used to be several forum members who are Canadians. I don't recall seeing them post for some time. If they see the OP's inquiry, hopefully they can provide some info on coal boiler legality future and cost of fuel. There was lots of Bituminous mining in Nova Scotia at one time and likely commercial boiler use, but I believe their last mine has been closed. I think the Canadian west coast Anthracite mostly goes to the Pacific, Australia especially. Aus. coal sales have risen about 500% in dollars this year.

At one time, many PA. state universities and state hospitals were heated with coil steam boilers. At least partially. Huge Anthracite contracts to the state and also to the US Army, when they were required to buy coal they didn't need in Germany. The state hospitals are gone in PA. and I believe that the universities have converted to gas. Last I heard there may be one left using coal. Many generations of men employed watching gauges all day and night. I suppose they still do with nat. gas.

Revonik

Post by Revonik » Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 8:32 am

hank2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 12:24 am
There used to be several forum members who are Canadians. I don't recall seeing them post for some time. If they see the OP's inquiry, hopefully they can provide some info on coal boiler legality future and cost of fuel. There was lots of Bituminous mining in Nova Scotia at one time and likely commercial boiler use, but I believe their last mine has been closed. I think the Canadian west coast Anthracite mostly goes to the Pacific, Australia especially. Aus. coal sales have risen about 500% in dollars this year.

At one time, many PA. state universities and state hospitals were heated with coil steam boilers. At least partially. Huge Anthracite contracts to the state and also to the US Army, when they were required to buy coal they didn't need in Germany. The state hospitals are gone in PA. and I believe that the universities have converted to gas. Last I heard there may be one left using coal. Many generations of men employed watching gauges all day and night. I suppose they still do with nat. gas.
Thank you for your reply. Indeed, it would be interesting to hear the opinion of the people of Canada.

Revonik

Post by Revonik » Mon. Dec. 05, 2022 8:33 am

hank2 wrote:
Sun. Dec. 04, 2022 12:24 am
I know that there is Anthracite mined in British Columbia. I don't think that the huge Atrum co. Groundhog claim project has gotten underway. A lot of that is ultra high grade Anthracite for coking and not really useable by home heaters. There's is some just high grade if anyone mines it. I would suspect that Vancouver doesn't allow coal burning. I don't believe that Seattle or Portland in the US does either. I've read of some expected permitting of more new mines in Alberta, but that's sub bit or lignite.

I expect that Anthracite will be available for home heating in Pa., US, for a very long time, if any affordable sources for that use remain. It's mostly used for a very long list of other products, sugar beet processing and water filtration.
You are probably right, in Pennsylvania anthracite heating will be available for a long time.
Thank you

Coalblooded
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Jensen 24a
Coal Size/Type: Ky lump, bituminous

Post by Coalblooded » Fri. Dec. 09, 2022 11:39 pm

Idk about anthracite but ill burn bit until they stop selling it. Electric will always be more than coal, in the states anyways. Rural areas around me do not have any option for natural gas. Loads of people burn wood but for time sake and the life of the burn i choose coal.

Epa standard residential boiler/furnaces wouldnt probably be a bad idea to look into. Wood burning being changed to epa regulation only and the pressure of rising fuel oil costs. Also the 26% tax credit for epa certified stoves/ furnaces will probably push a bunch (that can afford it) to upgrade. Something economical and epa standard

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”