coal documentary

Sylvesterd101
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF260
Coal Size/Type: nut, anthracite

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Mon. Oct. 31, 2022 11:23 pm

So one of my coworkers that I used to work with sent this to me and after watching it I just can't believe it. Especially with the skyrocketing fuel prices all around I guess they really have everybody's money right where they want it. I'm curious if there's anybody in here that knew the people in this documentary or know the people or towns around of where it took place I know it's over 15 years old now

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Nov. 02, 2022 8:29 am

Thanx,Sylv!

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Wed. Nov. 02, 2022 10:04 am

Hambden Bob wrote:
Wed. Nov. 02, 2022 8:29 am
Thanx,Sylv!
no problem, i watched it and it literally made me almost tear up. such a sad story. i never knew how nasty msha is to small operations, givin my experience with them where i work

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Wed. Nov. 02, 2022 4:24 pm

Yup, know some. The former inspector in the blue shirt talking is an acquaintance. His wife is good friends with my wife. He was a miner then an inspector and lost that gig because he wasn't an *censored*. Now he does excavating work. David A Lucas' picture is in the beginning, he is deceased do to auto accident. Others in the video deceased as well besides the obvious mine accident fatality.

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 12:51 am

Wildstuff.just regular folks trying to make it

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 6:57 am

I saw the film in its entirety several years ago in Pottsville at a community theater, I believe members from this forum were in town that evening for a meet & greet. The film makers may have been present also if my memory is correct. I don't know if it is in the film or not but the one mine owner committed suicide relating to the mine accident and fallout from it. A lot of the guys that worked underground were big tough guys and after they retire their health deteriorates due to black lung.

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 9:49 am

gaw wrote:
Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 6:57 am
I saw the film in its entirety several years ago in Pottsville at a community theater, I believe members from this forum were in town that evening for a meet & greet. The film makers may have been present also if my memory is correct. I don't know if it is in the film or not but the one mine owner committed suicide relating to the mine accident and fallout from it. A lot of the guys that worked underground were big tough guys and after they retire their health deteriorates due to black lung.
yea its quite sad. they hit him for just under a million in fines. id take the some route honestly. how are you supposed to stay afloat after that

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 5:15 pm

Sad indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The rich get richer & the workin grunt gets *censored*'d!!! :cry:

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 9:33 pm

I knew some of the Lucas family from getting mine and my friends and customers cars inspected at their shop in Tremont.
Good people!

Sylvesterd101

Post by Sylvesterd101 » Fri. Nov. 04, 2022 9:47 am

lincolnmania wrote:
Thu. Nov. 03, 2022 9:33 pm
I knew some of the Lucas family from getting mine and my friends and customers cars inspected at their shop in Tremont.
Good people!
thats neat! i hope they are all still holding up okay and not being forced to rely on the federal government

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Fri. Nov. 04, 2022 4:58 pm

It's incredible how strong the accent is, down der in da ground. Minin' out da coal. I'd be interested to know how the vast european immigrants collection formed it. Luthianians, Irish, Ukrainians, Polish, quite a mix.

And by the way, if you're ever passing through Schuylkill county and want to stop for a bite to eat, you always look for the most run down greasy deli, a place you'd be sure not to want to be at night and a place your dog would be sure to try and lick the floor, that's the ticket!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”