Thermal efficiency and heat loss…(ISayer Larry)

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 5:20 pm

…for lack of a better description.
(Maybe if we need to we can get the moderators to edit the thread title. I seem to be having a brain fart for words today.)

It’s threads like these I wish ISayer Larry was still here.

Maybe it’s heat loss that I’m thinking about. Yeah…that’s what I’m thinking of. I think I need to have an energy audit done on this home to calculate the heat loss. I did one for my last one.

If I use my average consumption of coal per hour for the season it falls between needing .88 lbs and roughly a pound per hour. So let’s assume, since Larry isn’t here to work the figures, somewhere between 8,000btu’s/hr to 12,500btu’s/hr per day each season needed to heat my home each season. I probably didn’t say that right.

Anyway, I’ll likely need to have an audit done to help me establish a better sized stove for this house. That is, I think they perform two. One before insulation and sealing is done and one after. It’s the final numbers I’ll need after insulation and sealing that I’ll need to help calculate a proper sized stove. (Someone correct me if I’m wrong, please.)

The above isn’t what prompted me to start this thread, but it’s where it ended up. The original train of thought seemed to run out of track. Maybe I’ll think of it later. LOL!

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Based on .88 pounds per hour and then factoring 75% efficiency, the average is 8250 BTU per hour. You'll wanna multiply that by 2.5 for the coldest days for 20625 BTU per hour. You really only need a small pellet stove insert, unless you really enjoy operating a coal hand fed.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 10:34 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Oct. 26, 2022 8:10 pm
Based on .88 pounds per hour and then factoring 75% efficiency, the average is 8250 BTU per hour. You'll wanna multiply that by 2.5 for the coldest days for 20625 BTU per hour. You really only need a small pellet stove insert, unless you really enjoy operating a coal hand fed.
Certainly enjoy the coal. Love having a blower, but never use it. Want it just in case. Like that the 354 has a blower but also convects air on its own through the blower chamber with no electric. DS stoves do this too but not sure how small theor stoves are compared a 30-95/254.

Don’t really want to go any smaller because of ash pan size. Although I do like a Chubby stove. Not sure what the btu output range is. Just think it might be too small, ash pan too small having to tend all the time. Of course, there are times that I can fill the 354 ash pan twice a day…so I might not jump away from that too fast just yet.

A pellet stove is not an option. I’d rather buy and use a medium sized wood stove than use a pellet stove, but I get your point. A small thermostatic controlled Blaze King stove might be an option…or which ever stove turns down to around 8-9k btu’s.

I’ll have to double check my notes on that .88lb/hr to make sure I’m not off too far. I think that is close.

Thanks, Lighting. You understand what I was driving at.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”