Wind energy 4 times cheaper than Thermal

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Sun. Jul. 17, 2022 3:18 pm

In the UK bids for new electric supply... Thermal plants will be dead....

https://cleantechnica.com/2022/07/17/uk-offshore- ... eneration/

Which begs the question, why is Hinkley C being built at all?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_electricity_by_source

Thermal plants are on life support... The new nuclear 10 years in building should be scrapped...

This is the same worldwide... Is the US ready for this disruption????

BigBarney

Retro_Origin
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat / Pea

Post by Retro_Origin » Sun. Jul. 17, 2022 3:59 pm

And so why do they build natural gas generators with windmills in order to supply energy when the wind is not blowing? Of all the energy form types, wind takes up the most space for the least energy yield. Also it kills birds. And you're really knocking nuclear? Nuclear has an extremely small waste footprint and has the best ratio for land used and energy yield.
https://www.nei.org/news/2015/land-needs-for-wind ... ear-plants, that's just from a simple google search.
Sorry pal, if windmills were so superior to nuclear then the Iranians would be building giant hot air balloons with spinning wind turbines to drop on our cities instead of nuclear warheads....seriously?
Of course it's cheaper to ride my bicycle to the store instead of my car.....so that makes it better?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Sun. Jul. 17, 2022 4:17 pm

First, the article is using TODAY's natural gas super spike tragedy pricing. It is 2x-4x already due to certain pressures.

Second, the total amount of electrical capacity is much, much lower using wind and/or solar.

Coal vs natural gas (without gov't interference) is much cheaper than natural gas AND solar or wind in many cases.

You must consider the maintenance and lifespan of a windmill or solar panel.

Not saying these don't have a place, I believe they do, but that article is dishonestly skewed IMHO

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Jul. 20, 2022 2:33 am

BigBarney wrote:
Sun. Jul. 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Which begs the question, why is Hinkley C being built at all?
It's quite simple, I've explained this to you before but I'll explain it again. When the wind is not blowing and the sun is not shining you still need that capacity. If you don't have it rolling blackouts will become the norm. Furthermore as conventional plants take on the role of backup the more expensive the electric thy produce because you are not fully capitalizing on the investment to build and maintain them.

Levelized costs include the costs of excess capacity to meet high demands. Since renewables are now creating more excessive capacity in conventional plants they need to begin attributing those costs of building and maintaining that excess capacity to solar and wind. It's an expense that is directly incurred because of wind and solar.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”