IR Guns

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 4:35 pm

Today I retrieved my "OEM" brand IR gun, which fell off my garage bench, between it and the wall. (About a month ago). It wasn't fun getting at it, and I'll spare ya the ugly details. Anyway, after dragging it out, I noticed the glass lens is missing, and the thing isn't accurate. At least I "think" it had a glass lens. Looked all over for it, and it's a no show. On its face, there's a threaded hole where it looks like a lens would go, and a small hole for the light beam. I looked on the net for pics, but they don't show the frt face. Does anyone have one? Thanks.
IR gun 001.JPG
.JPG | 515.2KB | IR gun 001.JPG

BunkerdCaddis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Bairmatic-Van Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Van Wert VW85H
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge
Other Heating: oil fired hydronic

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 5:32 pm

My IR gun is a GEATX "brand" from Amazon and it has what looks like a Fresnel lens at the bottom of the barrel

Attachments

IR lens.jpg

IR gun lens...

.JPG | 91.2KB | IR lens.jpg

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Thanks Bunkie, that's what mine looks like too. But no glass at the top. I've been trying it out, and sometimes it seems higher, and other times lower. When we calibrate ours in work, the cal guy checks out the accuracy by reading the temp of ice. Says it should read 32°. Mine reads 70°, sometimes.

BunkerdCaddis
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II working when I feel the desire, Waterford 105 out on vacation, Surdiac Gotha hiding somewhere
Coal Size/Type: pea/nut/rice/stove-anthracite, nut/stove bit when I feel the urge

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 7:45 pm

I get funky readings if the surface is shiny (like copper pipe) so I paint stuff like that flat black. Are the cheapo guns 100% accurate? I didn't expect that and they don't seem to be but what I use it for is "getting an idea" of what the temp is so I don't need it to be to the 1/10 degree although most of the time it seems to be within a couple of degrees. I have a bi-wire digital probe on the front door of my stove and an analog 6" probe thermometer in the stack so I use those more often anyway. One thought, I think ice itself can be colder than 32 degrees, many eons ago when I worked in a Burger King we checked the thermometers using an ice and water mix. That still doesn't really explain your 70 degree reading but it doesn't necessarily mean you'd always get a 32 reading either.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 8:41 pm

I was amazed when the cal. guy in work tested ice, and it did read dead on 32. I think I even tried my gun at home, and it was, but maybe I'm mistaken. But it is a cheap gun, and even if it doesn't take a glass lens, maybe dropping it in the garage screwed it up. But thanks again for the replies. I'll let you know, when I get another gun.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 9:32 pm

If you can convince your wife that the IR is correct you can use it as a house thermometer and save a lot of money on fuel this winter :P

Sounds like its junk now. Nothing is safe after dropping it on cement. Thats almost the same as hitting it with a hammer.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Well, once I'm convinced it's wrong, then I "will" take my 24 oz ball peen to it. Thanks for the idea.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 8:13 am

Come on J, SMITTY always had fun takin his shotgun to stuff that had run their course--computers, phones, vehicles, etc.!!! LOL

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:00 pm

Sorry to disappoint, gentlemen, but I don't think I'll be bashing this thing too soon.
It seems to be acting better, so here's what gives.

I asked in work to see a gun that is used, but they mostly use a probe type wired thermometer. But there is one IR gun I found, and it too, didn't have any glass lens on the barrel. Looked like Bunkies, and mine.

And I've been trying to make it to read 32° on ice in my freezer, and I believe the error is coming from the color of whatever is transferring thru. I just got 15-20° going from place to place.

Then I was attempting to read my skin temp., which is usually a bit over 90. It' reads about 85-ish. Is it the colder temps now-a-days doing it?.

Then I was comparing it to my stove thermometers, that are also all over the place. One on the stove barrel, (combustion chamber), and another on the frt, above the clinker door, which reads much hotter, depending on ash build-up. It registers what the pot is burning. They'll range anywhere from 200° to 500, depending, and the IR gun seems pretty close.

But the "final" tell all, was when I read the wall temp right next to my old reliable mercury Honey Well gold, and Round (none electronic) thermostat. The thermometer reads 69°, and the IR gun, 67.
So I can't complain about that. Guess I won't use it for the wifes cooking, but other things seems to be OK.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 9:17 am

joeq wrote:
Mon. Nov. 29, 2021 5:00 pm
Sorry to disappoint, gentlemen, but I don't think I'll be bashing this thing too soon.
It seems to be acting better, so here's what gives.

I asked in work to see a gun that is used, but they mostly use a probe type wired thermometer. But there is one IR gun I found, and it too, didn't have any glass lens on the barrel. Looked like Bunkies, and mine.

And I've been trying to make it to read 32° on ice in my freezer, and I believe the error is coming from the color of whatever is transferring thru. I just got 15-20° going from place to place.

Then I was attempting to read my skin temp., which is usually a bit over 90. It' reads about 85-ish. Is it the colder temps now-a-days doing it?.

Then I was comparing it to my stove thermometers, that are also all over the place. One on the stove barrel, (combustion chamber), and another on the frt, above the clinker door, which reads much hotter, depending on ash build-up. It registers what the pot is burning. They'll range anywhere from 200° to 500, depending, and the IR gun seems pretty close.

But the "final" tell all, was when I read the wall temp right next to my old reliable mercury Honey Well gold, and Round (none electronic) thermostat. The thermometer reads 69°, and the IR gun, 67.
So I can't complain about that. Guess I won't use it for the wifes cooking, but other things seems to be OK.

My cheap one reads close to what surface temps are that I can check with other thermometers. Not as consistent (give or take a couple of degrees each time the trigger is pulled) as the $200.00 IR gun I keep in the shop. But when I point it at ice cubes it reads -04 to -07. :o I thought maybe I had hit the Celsius scale button by mistake, but no.

Cheap is cheap and if you want consistent accuracy,..... that costs money. ;)

Paul

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 9:56 am

Well said Paul. I always said you get what you pay for.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 10:59 am

Wait a minute T----I've heard that phrase somewhere before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

joeq

Post by joeq » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 5:21 pm

Yeah, yeah, I get it. "You get what you pay for". Plastic, is plastic, and never too impressive. I'm not doin brain surgery with this thing, just want it to read "relatively" close and consistent. With so many different thermometers around the house, which one to use a standard? I thought the freezer ice would've been it. It worked perfectly at work, but then again, it wasn't this gun. So what else can I try?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 8:22 pm

Um lol.. I didn't want to state the obvious but,,,, it is possible for ice to be colder than 32 degrees lol

BunkerdCaddis

Post by BunkerdCaddis » Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 9:04 pm

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Dec. 02, 2021 8:22 pm
Um lol.. I didn't want to state the obvious but,,,, it is possible for ice to be colder than 32 degrees lol
Ice water on the other hand... :yes:

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”