Have I lost my touch?

oldpaddy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mohawk Industries Temp Coal II

Post by oldpaddy » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 7:03 am

Hi all, I've been burning coal my whole life and for some odd reason I'm having a real hard time getting my stove going this year. Am I big dummy or could there be something wrong with my coal?
I had 3 tons of nut coal delivered last week. I had a hard time starting my first fire and then it went out after a two days. I've now tried to light the stove 4 times to no avail. I have NEVER had such a hard time lighting my stove or keeping it going before. 30+ years I've been burning coal. Other than the new coal delivery, I did have my siding and all my windows replaced over the summer. So my house isn't nearly as drafty as it was. Maybe that's part of my problem. Otherwise, I'm at a loss. I feel like an idiot.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 7:45 am

Check to see that your cleanout door on the chimney is closed. If you have a manual damper, make sure it's actually moving.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 7:53 am

Naw... You're Not Losing It! Something Changed And Flipped Da' Deal On Ya'! Start with the basics. Did something build a nest in Your chimney over the Summer? Do You have a Manometer,or,can You feel Draft when You open a door? Even if You received a Bogus Load of New Coal,it sure sounds like something else is afoot!! Oh,bye the way,"Happy Thanksgiving"!!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 8:14 am

Sounds like the coal you have is a bit different than what you are used to. I have had the best luck starting a coal fire with charcoal.

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 8:19 am

oldpaddy wrote:
Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 7:03 am
I did have my siding and all my windows replaced over the summer. So my house isn't nearly as drafty as it was.
That probably is part of it. Your stove needs to suck air from the outside and you may have reduced what air could get trough the old windows. Also like mentioned above, check you chimney, chimney clean out and check the stove pipe for pin holes.

-Don

oldpaddy

Post by oldpaddy » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks guys, happy Thanksgiving!
I'm getting a good draft from the stove to the chimney. I do not have a manual damper, but will check the door in the back of the fireplace. Good call on that, since I remember having a problem a long time ago and found that door had somehow gotten open. I'm also going to completely empty out the stove again and check to make sure nothing is clogged up. It's just weird. I've never had such a hard time before. Even with that door open it's never been this difficult to start and keep my stove going.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 8:59 am

O, for starting up, I've always used matchlight charcoal--I hope that door is the problem. Happy T-day my old friend..

oldpaddy

Post by oldpaddy » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 9:06 am

Once again, thanks for the help. The fireplace ash door isn't open. I'm trying to get the stove going again. I think it's got to he the lack of draft inside my house. I opened a slider to yell at my barking dog and I noticed my kindling started blazing. I'm starting to think my contractor did too good of a job shoring up my house. Where's my sawzall?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 10:39 am

Once you get the chimney warm and it's colder outside, it might have enough draft on its own.. if not, you might have to pipe in an air source somehow.. crack a window close by about an inch.. make sure all the windows upstairs are closed tight. Do you have any powered venting? Like bathroom vent, or cook stove vent?

oldpaddy

Post by oldpaddy » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 10:51 am

Lightning wrote:
Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 10:39 am
Once you get the chimney warm and it's colder outside, it might have enough draft on its own.. if not, you might have to pipe in an air source somehow.. crack a window close by about an inch.. make sure all the windows upstairs are closed tight. Do you have any powered venting? Like bathroom vent, or cook stove vent?
Nope. No power venting or any venting other than plumbing.
I have to give the workers credit, they really did a good job shoring up my house lol. It was very drafty before. The siding and windows were rotting off the house. They also sealed up an old cat door and old holes from ac units and a kitchen vent.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 11:08 am

What is the outdoor temperature at your place?

oldpaddy

Post by oldpaddy » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 11:28 am

Rob R. wrote:
Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 11:08 am
What is the outdoor temperature at your place?
It was in the 30's last night when I tried and low 40's this morning.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Do check any elbows for flyash build-up(if you have any at all). That is interesting that your kindling launched when you opened that window!
Last edited by Hambden Bob on Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 3:29 pm

oldpaddy wrote:
Thu. Nov. 25, 2021 11:28 am
It was in the 30's last night when I tried and low 40's this morning.
Well it is certainly cold enough. I think you are onto something with tbr house being so much tighter.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Dec. 04, 2021 7:30 pm

Well, he’s either warm or froze to death.

Where ya’ at oldpaddy? Update please.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”