50Lbs Bag of Coal Equal How Many Pounds Ash?

daluds
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by daluds » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 1:24 pm

Does anyone know how many pounds of ash I can expect from burning 50lb bag of coal?

Thanks,

Dave

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 1:52 pm

Coal from different mines is different, but if you has 10% ash, you'd have 5 lbs of ash. What I'd like to know is volume. Let's say you get 5 lbs of ash, is it also 10% of the volume of the coal? For all I know it doesn't change size, just weight! I'm hoping someone can answer that.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 2:09 pm

I would say the volume runs about 15-20% of the input once turned to ash. I have a pile of ash that equates to that after burning 5+ tons, it would be about 1 ton if it were coal.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sun. Aug. 10, 2008 1:09 pm

In the EFM 520 with the standard ash bucket, after you burn three 50# bags the ash pan will need to be dumped. You could go 4 or 5 bags but you might have an overflow, I have to carry my bucket through the kitchen so I like plenty of headspace on top of the bucket.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Aug. 10, 2008 1:11 pm

Stoker ash is generally "chunky" so the volume is pretty high. You could probably crush a full bushel tub down to a few inches thick. The hand fired units generally burn it up better plus you have the crushing action of the grates so it's volume will not be as much. I've mentioned it before, the same coal that I burned in the Van Wert when burned in a Franco Belge came out as nothing but powdery ash. The Van Wert ashes would normally be chunky.

The time of the year will effect it too, at his time of the year it has lot longer to "stew" in the fir pot on the Van-Wert so you get a finer ash.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”