Who uses anthracite ashes as soil amendment in clay yard?

CoalisCoolxWarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: old Sears rebuilt, bituminous- offline as of winter 2014
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Buckwheat
Other Heating: Oil Boiler

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Mon. Mar. 22, 2021 8:35 am

I plan to tear out, change levels, tapers, etc in yard with lots of clay and wondered who is using anthracite ashes to amend the soil in their yards and any tips? They are "free" vs sand or whatever else some use.

Not garden, due to possible heavy metals, but our soil has a lot of clay. Nearly 20 yrs ago I completely releveled, tilled, spread, etc the yard (grass) and planted it. It was BEAUTIFULLY leveled and smooth.

But it was hard to get grass started, is partially shaded, and was "gummy" on the surface due to the clay content. Afterwards I wished I had mixed in mushroom manure or something to loosen the soil.

The soil produces dark green grass, grows well, just the physical properties need attention. It's grown "okay" but should be better.

Add the issue that recent years' heavy rains have permanently changed the drainage characteristics here, so I will be raising some areas and fine tuning the surface...for the last time. The old ash tree finally succumbed to the bugs and is gone. The dog died about 10 years ago, so no need for that raised area, things like that.

I have a decent amount of ashes, probably 5 seasons' worth.

I have a 35HP diesel CUT, box blade with adjustable rippers, tiller, york rake that I plan to use, as last time.

Do you simply tear it up about 6 inches down, add (how many inches?) of ashes, till it until fine, and spread it around?

Or is there a way to simply add a layer to the top and then use lawn roller? (It's possible I could do this for 80% of the established grass area and only have to replant about 20% that needs leveled or moved)

I am going to be severely limited on physical lifting and such for a few months, so the more "seat time" that can be used vs shovel, the better. That should get me about a 2 month head start until I can lift more than 10lbs. Hoping to have everything growing for this Summer. I can get help with spreading straw and seed and such.

PICS of areas you've used ashes, or just to show off your nice yards are much appreciated!

Thanks.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Mar. 23, 2021 6:39 am

I haven't done anything as involved as what your are proposing, but I have sprinkled a fair amount of ash over some heavy clay areas of my yard to make it less "sticky" when walking or driving through. I have also filled in some low lying areas with ash, topped with some soil and seeded it. The grass grows fine and the lawn looks good.

gaw
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Mar. 23, 2021 8:13 am

My grandfather dumped many loads of coal ash on a meadow field that was loaded with clay. I was quite young back then and I think he may have started before I was born, back then there were huge ash piles where the old collieries were and I believe the ashes were free. I don't know how well it worked because I don't know the before to compare to the after but I guess he thought it worked because he would have dumped tons of coal ash on this field.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Wed. Mar. 24, 2021 3:01 am

I have been filling holes in the yard and filling low areas and mixing the ash with my clay topsoil. been filling in a low spot in the driveway too.

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 7:40 am

Thanks for the input. I read that since people as sand to their soil to aerate.

I was wondering if coal ashes would do the same thing?

Sorry for the late reply, i was in hospital a couple of days and it's still a bit rough, even though I'm now home

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 7:48 am

I don't believe it would act like sand, especially when not stirred up. It would tend to become cement like if not mixed well with the soil.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 8:23 am

What do the anthracite culm burners power plants in Pennsylvania do with their Coal ash?

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 11:42 am

franpipeman wrote:
Thu. Mar. 25, 2021 8:23 am
What do the anthracite culm burners power plants in Pennsylvania do with their Coal ash?

Most of the co-gen ash is used to fill and reclaim abandoned strip mined pits.
Small amounts were approved for mine flushing, flowable fill, and anti skid.

In the burning process limestone is added to the crushed culm to raise the ph from approx 6 to about 11, and encapsulate the sulphur. The combination fly and bottom ash is injected with water to cool it down and also eliminate the dust .

The combination of heat, water, and chemical combination results in a pozzolanic reaction. Just enough water is added so the ash can be transported by truck and easily dumped. If you add more water to make the ash similar to a mortar or concrete mix, it will set up similar to chalk.

Under the Beneficial Ash Use Act, small amounts of high ph ash are introduced into low ph mine runoff streams to neutralize the ph, resulting in a balanced ph downstream and the return of marine life.

Paulie

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Fri. Mar. 26, 2021 9:27 am

thanks for that detailed response .

CoalisCoolxWarm

Post by CoalisCoolxWarm » Fri. Mar. 26, 2021 9:42 am

Some great responses and info, thanks.

As mentioned, the ashes do seen to get smashed and soupy when run over with tractor. It doesn't really keep it's structure. I can see it getting cement like over time.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 26, 2021 10:22 am

I don't know guys, but I'm still tryin to figure out what the hell an amendment is--I personally use it on my gravel driveway, sprinkle with sakrete, dampen & roll the hell out of it--I also put a BUNCH on the garden area prior to tilling plus filling lawn holes--thannx to yr old redbone coon hound--lil basdtard!!! LOL grass grows, garden is always outstanding & driveway is in better shape then most asphalt driveways around here. :) C, it's really not rocket science. :) Course, I'm not goin for "Better Homes & Gardens!!!!!!! LOL

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”