For Ham Bob, story by Jack

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 11:08 am

July4, 1950, place #6 mine, picnic grounds.
The annual miners picnic day was held. A temporary cook stove simmering, Bean Soup, corn on the cob, Kielbassa and Barrels of BEER. A strong man contest was on tap for the day. Russian miner vs Lithuania miner.
Description of contest: from point A to point B a distance of 150', the contestants had to carry a heavy weight to B & back again. Boris Kharkov vs Bootsy Unitis. Boris grabbed a 100 lb bag of sand and completed it. Bootsy also tied. Boris lugged a keg of spikes, done. Bootsy also did the same. TIED
Pissed off,
the Russian downed a glass of Vodka. Next, the Russian carried an 8' rail tie to point B & back again. The Russians cheered Boris. Boris yelled at Bootsy the Lithuania miner. "You summa beech no beat me. Bootsy walked to the pile of ties. He lifted one & got the pole on his shoulder & he lugged the pole to point A & carried the pole back to the pile.
175' in distance. The Lits cheered & the Russians cheered too. You could here happy accordian music playing. Gimme another beer Sam. The Lits carried Bootsy to the Bar area. Boris came over to Bootsy & shook his hand. You strong man ! Your fodder must have been Rooshin!. From my memory, Coalbin Jack

Den034071

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 11:59 am

Note the Pile Of Pole were Telephone Pole 16 tall an heavy.Bootsy grabbed and end of pole shimmied the pole up to center of pole And Carried the Pole From Point a BaCk to The Road Beyond Point B .Total distance 175 And Back again .Strong Guy . Im a witness . jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Ham Bob woulda whooped em all Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL Great picnic day I'm thinkin!! :)

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 8:15 pm

Great story Jack. My moms side of the family were all miners I remember my uncle telling me a story about a big strong fellow who once picked up a telephone pole and stuck it in the ground when the coal patch was getting phone service when he was a kid he later worked with the guy in the mine and said he would hand 80lb bags of cement mix to him with one hand! I remember the guy when I was a kid he was a big man.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 26, 2021 10:08 pm

My cousins stepfather was an ex navy seal. He also practiced veterinary medicine without a license. He and my cousin were in a stall with a horse and the horse went haywire. His stepfather , fearing for my cousins safety, hit the horse in the side of its head with his fist knocking the horse unconscious. He was a big man too. He was also in his early 60s at the time. Some people just have mind boggling strength.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 5:31 am

Jack,Me Bucko,You've Done It Again!! Aint' Nuthin' Like One Of Your Witnessed Memory Stories Of Da' Day!! Sounds Like A Real Coal Bucket Of Wildmen!! You Really Can't Make This Bleep Up!! I'm Honored,Jack My Friend!!
Serious Footnote Regarding The No.9 Mine That Jack And His Merry Band Of Yesteryear Preservers Have So Dedicated Themselves To: It Sounds Like They Could Use Our Help! The Bufoonery That Has Been The Wuhan Has Hurt Them Financially. I Hear Tell That A Supporting Membership Is 10 Bucks For A Year. Let's See If We Can Give Em' A Bump And Sign A Few Fine Folks Up! We Had One Helluva Good Meet-N-Greet On Site A Few Years Ago,Followed By The Active Operations Tour Of The Lehigh Strip Ops Across The Street. Twas' Fantastic! The Museum And Mine Tour For The No.9 Were Beyond Impressive! For Now,Here's A Link To The Mine&Museum's Website https://no9minemuseum.wixsite.com/museum
Once I Get A Little Sleep,I'll Get In Contact With Jack And Come Up With A Link Or Two On Just Exactly How We Can Support This Fine Piece Of Anthracite History!

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 7:40 am

A lil sleep???????????????? What the hell ya doin up at 5:30 AM ya young woodpecker--damn, you're retired!! Waitin for those links--NEVER been as good a Meet & Greet then the Mine #9--bar NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 8:35 am

freetown fred wrote:
Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 7:40 am
A lil sleep???????????????? What the hell ya doin up at 5:30 AM ya young woodpecker--damn, you're retired!! Waitin for those links--NEVER been as good a Meet & Greet then the Mine #9--bar NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I beg to differ. There was one in particular that involved a tour of the Yuengling beer brewery, a tour of the Keystoker plant, and a tour of the mine in Ashtown. All in the same day. The night before involved watching the coal movie at the local movie house and dinner and such(a lot) at the big motel in town. Came back with a truck filled with Harmony’s finest rice and EFM parts. A weekend of epic proportions.😜👍

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 11:52 am

You can beg all ya want-----------I'll 2nd Mine # 9--most importantly---I was there & met Jack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-------LOL

Den034071

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 4:42 pm

Guys here is an apology .I assumed the museum was open .In the past as of 3 years ago we had Senior Aids older women who were paid by the county .They were on sight wed . to sonday .They let visitors visit the museum .Note the website shows or does not show Details For Joining The Membership I would not recommend joining at this time Jack.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Feb. 27, 2021 6:30 pm

I was at both and I'm thinking both were great!
Thanks for the story Jack!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Feb. 28, 2021 10:11 am

As We Look Towards Da' Day When As A Nation We Come Out Of The Wuhan,There's No Doubt That We'll Air Up Da' Tires And Light Da' Fires Back Toward Having Meet-N-Greet's Again!!
Now,shifting gears,it's rather rare,yet rich,that Our Pal Jack gets revved up,dumps Da' clutch and gets very excited! Normally he's the Calmest Slovak Storyteller of Coal Days Gone By that I've ever met!! Seems he got word that the Ol' Number 9 Mine and Museum was in a bit of Financial Mayhem due to the Wuhan screwing up Tour Attendance,On Site Fundraising Festivals and Get Togethers and the like. Jack's rather discreet,and a Sensitive Gentleman. That's why those some of you received PM's from him regarding him starting an Associate Membership Drive for 10 bucks to try to shore up their Monetary Situation.
Jack was on the Founding Team of "Old Coal Boys" that started the Preservation and reopening of the #9 to get it where it is today! They created the Museum,which by the way,needs the Buildings Roof either Repaired or Replaced,and filled it with Historical Artifacts,Photos and Documents that would've ended up on the Scrap Heap of History and gone forever. The Modern Day Lehigh Coal Co. has been heavily involved in keeping all this alive. There have been many that have followed in Jack's Original Team's Footsteps to keep this going.
I'll work with Jack,and the current Operating Team there,to bring All Of You a Refined and Defined Target that will exactly let You help this Fine Effort if You can. Soo,in closing,stand by,and We'll bring forward something that Jack can be Proud of!! Thank You!!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”