Aladdin lamps (coal oil lamps)

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Wasn’t sure where to put this. I bought an Aladdin no. 12. It doesn’t have the correct gallery so I don’t know which mantle to buy. Anyone know anything Aladdin?

I’ve scoured the internet and didn’t really come up with much. Rather too much actually just not much about mixed parts.

Here’s a pic of the gallery. I’ve deducted that it takes a heeless chimney just not sure if the loxon 150 mantle will fit. Hopefully someone might be somewhat familiar. Thanks.

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 632.4KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 783.8KB | image.jpg

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 2:39 pm

F, can't ya just rub it to have the proper chimney appear??????????????????????? LOL Does not the heel keep the globe in place?? I've got a dozen or so--various makes--AND -- they all take the standard heeled globes found in any REAL hardware store. :)

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 3:34 pm

I have a new mantle in the box. Part no. R 150 for use with 12-B-C-21-21C and 23.
The chimney on my Aladdin is taller than the typical,but mine is different from yours in the mounting, so a standard chimney might work.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks guys. I’m pretty sure it takes the heeless chimney. My dilemma is what mantle it needs since the gallery isn’t the one it’s supposed to have. If I understand this correctly the mantle mounts to the gallery so I’m not sure which mantle. They’re kind of pricey so I want to get the right one. Maybe the 150 covers about everything. I see it fits a twelve but the gallery on mine doesn’t look anything like the twelves I see or the parts diagram.

Thought I was getting a bargain at $15 but the parts are really running up the cost.

I’ve got a few regular oil lamps but I thought it’d be nice to have one that really throws some light.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Mon. Feb. 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Lehmans store might know which one fits it as they sell the mantles and lamps.

P.johnson14
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Kaa-4-1

Post by P.johnson14 » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 5:48 am

Assuming that gallery fits your 12 properly, it takes a R-150.

I don’t know if a modern Heel-Less gallery fits a model 12 or if that’s a conversion part. Most Lox-On chimney galleries also take the R-150.

With a few exceptions, the older the Aladdin burner, the better it works. The best burners were made by B+H if I recall, before their factory was destroyed. The modern model 23 is best avoided, I have never had one that burnt right without some fiddling.

Never (I cannot stress this enough) NEVER leave an Aladdin unattended. They can and will run away under certain conditions.

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 8:59 am

P.johnson14 wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 5:48 am
With a few exceptions, the older the Aladdin burner, the better it works. The best burners were made by B+H if I recall, before their factory was destroyed. The modern model 23 is best avoided, I have never had one that burnt right without some fiddling.

Never (I cannot stress this enough) NEVER leave an Aladdin unattended. They can and will run away under certain conditions.
I'll second that. I've owned my Genie II model since the late 80's and it had a pretty annoying flickering problem. Some years later while browsing the Lehman's catalog I came across an "anti-flicker" ring, basically a thin brass piece that pressed into the underside of the gallery to accommodate some poor manufacturing tolerances, but it worked great.

Mine gets regular use, burning Kleen Heat kerosene. I have had it "run away" just once, and I can think of nothing that caused it aside from it just decided to that day. It was burning happily away while I was reading and after a few minutes I looked up, and to my horror, saw what appeared to be a miniature tire fire. It filled the room with black, stringy, sooty smoke, left a large black spot on the ceiling and needless to say, ruined the mantle and cracked the chimney. Not a fun experience.

This happened after owning this lamp for 25 years, and using it regularly. It hasn't run away since, but nevertheless, I don't leave it unattended for more than very short time.

I also have a Farmor lamp http://www.aladdinlamps.info/FarmorLamps.htm, the model with the chrome and walnut fount. I didn't have the original mantle or frame, but was able to slightly modify an Aladdin mantle to fit. I don't run it much because it is in almost NOS shape, but it will absolutely run rings around my Aladdin. Brighter and easier to adjust without the dreaded "black spots".

Chris

fig

Post by fig » Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 9:41 am

Interesting. I had no idea they runaway. I’ll only be using it for power outages. So it won’t be unattended unless I nod off, which is entirely possible.

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Feb. 08, 2021 9:56 am

fig wrote:
Fri. Feb. 05, 2021 9:41 am
Interesting. I had no idea they runaway. I’ll only be using it for power outages. So it won’t be unattended unless I nod off, which is entirely possible.
It's a really rare occurrence. I believe it is due to running kerosene with too low a flash point. Maybe fount material has an effect as well, glass vs. brass or aluminum. But after a period of operation the kerosene in the wick down in the burner begins to "boil" and those vapors overwhelm the burner, causing the runaway. I don't know if running the lamp at full vs. reduced brightness has any effect. As I mentioned, I've run my lamp regularly for almost 35 years and it took 25 of those for it to run away and it hasn't done it since (knocking on wood). But yeah, I do keep a little closer eye on it ever since. I don't know if it would actually burn your house down, I suppose it could if let go, but I can guarantee you that by the time it would set off a smoke alarm you will have filled a fair portion of your home with black, oily, stringy, sooty smoke. Not a fun time.

Chris

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”