Quick way to shut off air

N2wly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 10.275
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by N2wly » Sun. Nov. 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Hello, just for the heck of it I was wondering if a safe quick way to starve a coal stove of air to shut it off would be to dump a small bucket of sand on the fire. If so keeping a small bucket of sand nearby would be prudent. I would appreciate any input. Franco Belge 10.275 stove.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Nov. 16, 2020 4:34 am

Sand has been suggested before and I'm not sure there would be better method. It would certainly stop combustion with enough of it but it's going to take a very long time to cool.

That said with your particular stove they have been known to have the fire creep into the hopper. It's pretty common for the rear plates on those stoves to be damaged because fire made it into hopper and it was overfired. Putting sand on just the fire in front may force the fire into the hopper if there is enough air. If I was going to do this on that stove I'd probably dump sand into the loading hole too just to be safe.

fig
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF360
Hand Fed Coal Stove: T.O.M (Warm Morning converted to baseburner by Steve) Round Oak 1917 Door model O-3, Warm Morning 400, Warm Morning 524, Warm Morning 414,Florence No.77, Warm Morning 523-b
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Clayton 7.1/DS Machine basement stove/ Harman SF1500
Baseburners & Antiques: Renown Parlor stove 87B
Coal Size/Type: Bituminous/anthracite
Other Heating: Harman Accentra, enviro omega, Vermont Ironworks Elm stove, Quadrafire Mt Vernon, Logwood stove, Sotz barrel stove,

Post by fig » Mon. Nov. 16, 2020 6:49 am

I think a bucket of ash works too. I seem to recall reading that. It’s what I have.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Tue. Nov. 17, 2020 7:07 pm

Ash would be the way to go,i dump two shovel full of ash each night to calm down burning.8 hours later shovel full till burning then shake.

N2wly
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge 10.275
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by N2wly » Wed. Nov. 18, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks I do that

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”