1 dead in anthracite mine accident

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Oct. 27, 2020 11:09 pm

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Oct. 27, 2020 11:23 pm

very sad, prayers for the family.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 6:36 am

RIP my friend. Ya picked a tough profession.

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 12:35 pm

I won't mention any names, as this can be found on Penn Live. He was 37 years old and from Donaldson. Working 1000 feet down in the Williamstown #1 mine owned by Kimmel's Mining, Inc. He was trapped by falling rock and died of traumatic asphyxsia. Guess MSAH will do everything in their power to shut the mine down.

Bill

tcalo
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford 40
Coal Size/Type: Nut/stove anthracite

Post by tcalo » Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 12:36 pm

So sad!!!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Thu. Oct. 29, 2020 10:17 am

Hate that this happened. Condolences to the family.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Thu. Oct. 29, 2020 10:07 pm

DRBill wrote:
Wed. Oct. 28, 2020 12:35 pm
I won't mention any names, as this can be found on Penn Live. He was 37 years old and from Donaldson. Working 1000 feet down in the Williamstown #1 mine owned by Kimmel's Mining, Inc. He was trapped by falling rock and died of traumatic asphyxsia. Guess MSAH will do everything in their power to shut the mine down.

Bill
MSHA ?

DRBill
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mk II
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil hot air

Post by DRBill » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 1:04 pm

Yea, I know its MSHA. Tell that to this computer which seems to want to type what it wants to type and not what I want it to type.

Bill

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 1:11 pm

I'm guessin it's OSHA but at any rate, it has nothing to do with the sadness being experienced by the family & friends of this young miner.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 9:43 am

https://www.msha.gov/
Mine Safety and Health Administration

freetown fred wrote:
Fri. Oct. 30, 2020 1:11 pm
... at any rate, it has nothing to do with the sadness being experienced by the family & friends of this young miner.
Correct! So sad.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Oct. 31, 2020 1:05 pm

The final reports on mine accidents can be found on MSHA's website but it takes many months usually. A falling rock hitting someone in a coal mine could just be an accident or maybe they were doing something wrong, it will come out.

David A had a story of how he went into his mine years ago only to find a major collapse, luckily it happened while no one was in working. Had it happened while they were working there surely would have been lives lost.

lzaharis
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4-1 dual fuel boiler
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: former switzer CWW100-sold
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: kerosene for dual fuel Keystoker/unused

Post by lzaharis » Wed. Nov. 11, 2020 8:39 am

We will not know anything until the final MSHA report is issued.

They use drum miners at that mine from what I remember of it.

Using a drum miner and installing rock bolts with wire mesh/hurricane fence to the roof rock up is very labor intensive and has to be done one way.

There are a lot of unknowns with this as we do not know if the drum miner is used with a roof bolter mounted on.

They may mine the anthracite coal and then back the drum miner out and then drive in a roof bolter that would have one or two men operating it where they would drill holes in the roof and install either a threaded mechanical roof bolt that is anchored in the roof rock with a roof bolt shell that expands as the roof bolt is screwed into the roof rock/back until the hydraulic motors relive valve circuit opens and the motor stops rotating the roof bolt steel that is spinning the roof bolt.

OR they use another roof support method is where in they use roof straps and hurricane mesh to secure the roof as they mine the tunnel or cross cut roof straps are used in combination with mechanical or epoxy roof bolts to help hold the roof up as they mine beyond it.

An epoxy roof bolt anchoring system uses an epoxy glue tube that is pushed up into the hole and and then a roof bolt is pushed into the hole which then pierces the glue cartridges and the operator activates the rotation circuit to spin the roof bolt and mix the epoxy resin and activate the epoxy glue to secure the rock bolt in the roof rock/back.

The other things we do not know are what the roof bolting pattern is were the roof support system is designed in a grid pattern drilling roof bolt holes so many feet apart in the roof rock OR what length of roof bolt is used at the mine as the roof could have failed above the roof bolt anchor and nothing will be known until the investigation is finished and a "Fatalgram" is issued by the MSHA office in Washington.

The Mine Safety and Health Administration is now part of and overseen by by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The Mine Safety and Health Administration is separated into two groupings the first being coal mining involving strip mining and underground coal mining and the second being non metal mining either surface mining of non metals and metals or underground mining of metals and non metals.

Unless it has changed United States Code Title 30 is used to regulate the metal and no metal mining industry.

All mines whether surface or under ground "were" required to be inspected every 90 days unless a complaint with some merit is disclosed by a miner anonymously where an inspection team will arrive un announced and must be permitted to enter the mine property.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”