Bird Food, (Ash?)

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 12, 2020 8:02 pm

While reading through a book on building bird houses, they had a chapter on bird food. It mentioned that seeing birds don't have teeth, they need some "grit" in their diet, to help break down the food in their bellies.

They mentioned busted up sea shells, (for calcium), and I think that was referenced for chicken feed. They also recommended coarse sand, and even "Coal Ash". Has anyone ever heard such a thing? I just built a fancy bird feeding station for my back yard, and food can get pretty expensive, depending what you buy, and where. If I can dilute it with some coal ash, it would kill 2 stones, with one bird.

The picture below, was when the feeding station was 1st up, before the addition of other feeders. And for some strange reason, all the maroon painted surfaces are now striped in white. (Yuk) :annoyed:
DSC00903.JPG
.JPG | 618.1KB | DSC00903.JPG

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Oct. 12, 2020 8:08 pm

My chickens pick at the ash pile a bit when I let them out. I think if you have grit available on the ground the birds will seek it out.

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Oct. 12, 2020 10:22 pm

Strangest thing I've ever heard. And I was always under the impression food was for nutrition.
Then again, I think I remember a Sat. Night Live episode in the 70s, where Yule Gibbons ate a picnic table. :lol:

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 12, 2020 11:34 pm

Oyster shell grit, as you said calcium, has a secondary function that's for making sturdy thick egg shells.

But yes, grit which birds ingest is retained in their muscular gizzard for grinding food before it would eventually enter their stomach.

Thinking about how acidic coal ash can be makes one wonder if the bird's gizzard will corrode???? :lol:

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 13, 2020 4:41 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Oct. 12, 2020 11:34 pm
Thinking about how acidic coal ash can be makes one wonder if the bird's gizzard will corrode???? :lol:
I don't think birds retain much of their innards, Larry, long enuff for that to occur. At least considering the amount of "debris" that has now adorned my feeder station.
And Rob, you mentioned your chickens eating your coal ash. Do "all" of them eat the stuff, and if so, how does that effect the taste of the eggs? :hangover:

I think I'll try this experiment in the future. I have a problem with the starlings and blackbirds, liking the "mixed" wild bird food, but not so much with the sunflower/safflower seeds. I've tried to cut down on the mix, and it has slowed the interest of the starlings a bit. Maybe I'll fill a tray of mix, with some coal ash in it, and place the feed away from my station, and see if the scavengers go to it. What do you think?

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Tue. Oct. 13, 2020 5:27 pm

I always thought coal ash was toxic I have never put it on my garden or would I consider feeding it to my chickens. Throw it over the hill, fill a hole, or use it for anti skid on your driveway when it snows. Real nice bird houses Joe. I wouldn’t want to see any harm to the birds that use it.

joeq

Post by joeq » Tue. Oct. 13, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks Todd. I haven't heard about coal ash being toxic tho. As a matter of fact, years ago I could've sworn I read it was good for garden soil, and even tossed a small amount to one section of our garden. A buddy saw it, who has had a garden for years, and said he never heard of such a thing. I never have repeated it. I don't remember the mineral that was touted as being beneficial.

I mentioned above about a book on Making Bird Houses, by Charles R Self, published by "Sterling Publishing Co, Inc", and in it he states that coal ash can be used as a grit substitute, or as an alternative to, coarse sand. So I don't know yet, Still investigating.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Tue. Oct. 13, 2020 6:02 pm

Joe wonder if when the book says “coal ash” if they mean cinders like they use for the roads. I kinda could see that used as bird grit. I work for the twp road dept and our cinder pile shows no signs of being toxic, weeds and grass grow around it. Not sure if the process of how the ciders are formed by burning coal maybe really high heat. But as far as our powdery ash from burning coal I hope you find more out. I’m interested.

bambooboy
Baseburners & Antiques: imperial ringgold
Other Heating: woodstock soapstone,comfort,fisher,federal,fairy oak

Post by bambooboy » Tue. Oct. 13, 2020 7:50 pm

Not gonna try that on our peafowl.all houses have a bowl of stone dust which is the dust in the crusher run used on driveways.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 2:15 pm

Just a follow-up on the coal ash as a bird food supplement, as referred to by the author mentioned above. I guess he's a quack, because through my investigating, I can't find one listing to back up his comment. As Todd mentioned above, it's more toxic, than beneficial. Of course, then again, if it'll rid me of these pecky starlings, blackbirds, and grackles....maybe... :annoyed:

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Pigs will eat coal, supposed to help their teeth.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Come on B---pigs will eat people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saw that on "Supernatural" LOL

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Tue. Nov. 03, 2020 10:51 am

My grandma used to break dishes for their chickens when they couldn't get anything else. True story!! We're talking 1930's to 1980's.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Tue. Nov. 03, 2020 7:12 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Nov. 02, 2020 1:24 pm
Come on B---pigs will eat people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Saw that on "Supernatural" LOL
Watch the series Deadwood, it's how they got rid of the bodies. Truth be told it was bituminous not anthracite I saw fed to pigs. Dogs eat frozen dog poop in the winter so I believe about anything critters eat.

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Tue. Nov. 03, 2020 9:16 pm

I put my rice coal ashes on a pile. There are always bird tracks on the piles. Birds are getting "grit" -- without grit they cannot digest the food. It finds its way into the gizzard where it grinds food (seeds) into a digestible paste. Whether they get it from ashes, road dirt or simple woods dirt it really doesn't matter.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”