Chimney sweep came out today.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 11:22 am

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 10:42 am
What is a code definition of a crack???

Seen cracks you could put your thumb in and yet others that wouldn't catch a finger nail scratch.
I have seen the answer and I’m looking for the link now to provide.

In short, what I am being told is if it’s cracked at all, it is supposed to be replaced...hairline crack or bigger...doesn’t matter. Apparently they are afraid it will expand and possibly break off falling into and blocking the flue path...according to the sweeps.

I don’t buy it. Of course, I can see creosote from wood burning getting outside the liner and catching fire between the liner and the block if the creosote is bad enough. With anthracite I can’t see a problem at all...fly ash is non-combustible and the vent burns cooler.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 11:27 am

Hoytman wrote:
Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 11:22 am
I have seen the answer and I’m looking for the link now to provide.

In short, what I am being told is if it’s cracked at all, it is supposed to be replaced...hairline crack or bigger...doesn’t matter. Apparently they are afraid it will expand and possibly break off falling into and blocking the flue path...according to the sweeps.
okay, but not going to take a sweeps word for it...conflict of interest!!

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 12:00 pm

I’m not following you.

The sweep that came to my house also said this, then said my chimney was ok for coal burning. That seemed like a conflict if interest to me. It is either fine, or it’s not. lol o say it’s cracked/needs replaced, but it’s ok...and why I’ve “questioned” everyone and looked things up for myself.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Oct. 03, 2020 12:14 pm

O.R.C. 801.18.2
“Free of cracks”...however I am still looking for something else I had found in reference to your question.

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A2-8

That explains needing relined...but doesn’t explain saying it’s ok after learning it’s used for coal. It’s either cracked or isn’t or needs replaced or doesn’t.

Also found it interesting that even for my oil fired furnace unit/flue I am being pointed towards NFPA211, but as you can see the O.R.C. points towards NFPA31...which I am not familiar with at all.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Jan. 11, 2021 10:20 pm

You have two different groups of people involved in building and repairing chimneys: Masons/ bricklayers- both companies, individuals, and bricklayers who do side jobs ; on the other side you have "Sweeps".

Sweeps dont make much money sweeping - thats kind of like a gas furnace "tune-up", it's to get their foot in the door. the bigger the company the more overhead- those certifications take time and money, not that the guy in the field usually has them, but the owner does as a marketing investment.

The folks that know, take pride in their work and are willing to help the customer with the tough, dirty jobs aren't usually the ones with shiney vans and marketing certifications. (Notable exception in different field, I take pride in fostering a company culture where shiny trucks and tough, dirty jobs are NOT exclusive, but with most businesses, this is the not the case)

Perhaps most importantly, Powerful Trade groups and manufacturers in the chimney industry team up and create the rules. They do so to force consumers to buy their labor and materials. The clay tile manufacturers have very little clout anymore compared to the sweeps and liner mfgrs.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Tue. Jan. 12, 2021 9:54 am

they never used liners on the chimneys here when the houses were built. they all came new with coal furnaces too. built between 1940-1950

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”