Will fuel oil be cheaper than anthracite coal?

k-2
Stoker Coal Boiler: K2- Keystoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Stoker Stove
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by k-2 » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:16 am

Rob R. wrote:
Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 10:01 am
My dad said when it hit 8 cents my great grandfather switched back to coal.
I switched back to coal when HO hit $1.25 gallon in 2002. Coal was $80 ton delivered. Shortly after that HO went way up.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 7:51 am

franco b wrote:
Sat. Mar. 26, 2022 8:26 am
During WWll heating oil was 8 cents per gallon.
Dad told me it was 11 cents a gallon when he ripped out the coal furnace here in 1971. He was paying 50 dollars a ton for nut coal from happel lumber in monocacy pa.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 12:28 pm

For me the question was settled 20 yrs ago by a simple fact other than price. Do i want to buy a product that from halfway around the world from people who hate us and send terrorist to kill us and can cut off our supply or raise the price on a minutes notice? Or would it be smarter to buy a product form my fellow Americans sourced only 10 miles from where i live and support jobs and income in my own back yard for a product that is reliable and cost effective and keeps the money in my own country. Many times since then i have been reminded i made the right decision. Including this yr when oil and gas is up 100%.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 1:54 pm

k-2 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 12:28 pm
For me the question was settled 20 yrs ago by a simple fact other than price. Do i want to buy a product that from halfway around the world from people who hate us and send terrorist to kill us and can cut off our supply or raise the price on a minutes notice? Or would it be smarter to buy a product form my fellow Americans sourced only 10 miles from where i live and support jobs and income in my own back yard for a product that is reliable and cost effective and keeps the money in my own country. Many times since then i have been reminded i made the right decision. Including this yr when oil and gas is up 100%.
Unless your coal is deep mined it still takes a lot of diesel fuel to get it out of the ground. Your point is well taken though, support a local industry and keep as much $$ local as you can.

For someone like me it has the opposite effect (I am spending less $$ locally by burning coal).

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:15 pm

Rob, you're makin up for all that with your LOCAL mechanics--soooo, carry on!! ;)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:42 pm

k-2 wrote:
Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 12:28 pm
Or would it be smarter to buy a product form my fellow Americans sourced only 10 miles from where i live and support jobs and income in my own back yard for a product that is reliable and cost effective and keeps the money in my own country.
That's certainly preferable over any other heat source. You are supporting the local mine, local coal delivery companies and in almost all cases local manufacturers making coal heating appliances.

That said the oil situation has dramatically changed in the last 20 years. The US is now the largest producer of oil/gas and as of 2021 net exporter. With the situation with Russia I expect those exports to dramatically increase which will unfortunately keep prices high domestically.

The bulk of the oil we consume is produced in the US, around 85% ish. Half the imports are from Canada which might as well be considered domestic. The rest of the imports are mostly from Central/South American countries. Most of the oil from the ME is going to CA and only then because of the environmental regs.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:47 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:15 pm
Rob, you're makin up for all that with your LOCAL mechanics--soooo, carry on!! ;)
No question there Fred, I am surprised I never heard from the local chamber of commerce. :lol:

k-2

Post by k-2 » Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 5:48 pm

Richard S. wrote:
Mon. Mar. 28, 2022 2:42 pm
That said the oil situation has dramatically changed in the last 20 years.
The bulk of the oil we consume is produced in the US, around 85% ish.
What hasnt changed is the fact that oil heat is many times the price of coal 20 yrs ago and also now. I dont see oil going back to the old $50 brl prices any time soon if ever. The slightest event anywhere in the world or the smallest under supply sends oil prices shooting up.You dont see that with coal.

k-2

Post by k-2 » Fri. May. 06, 2022 10:41 pm

My have we come long way in a short time.Lets go Brandon!

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. May. 08, 2022 8:35 am

k-2 wrote:
Fri. May. 06, 2022 10:41 pm
My have we come long way in a short time.Lets go Brandon!
And not for the betterment of society as a whole.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”