Which Stove can handle -40 F ?

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 12:18 pm

TenderFrost,
When 'warminMi' said: 'good sense of humor', I said to myself, he's not joking! Back in the day, mid 1960's, spent two(2) Winters in 'Why not Minot' in USAF, working missile sites. Winter is brutal, bone-chilling, cold. Then, wheat was the product on the farms. Snowbird season started as soon as the harvest completed with a return in May. Those that didn't go South, moved into town for the Winter. Northwest part of the state is where coal(lignite) was mined. Now, it's oil & gas(Williston basin/Bakken oil field). Sorry I can't suggest a heater for you. Best of luck to you.
Cheers

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:02 pm

My Grandmother grew up 1.5 miles north of dead center of Minot AFB in the 1910s. That gives you an idea of the terrain. I cant even imagine that wind with no trees then knowing how it is here. Its pretty along the Missouri River though.

Interesting Larry. kinda reminded me of the one man in Big Bang Theory a little, if you ever saw that show. You may not have without a tv. Its all fine with me.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:09 pm

warminmn wrote:
Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:02 pm
Interesting Larry. kinda reminded me of the one man in Big Bang Theory a little, if you ever saw that show. You may not have without a tv. Its all fine with me.
Never saw it, sans for a snippet on youtube in which a debate over string theory vs. loop quantum gravity was being humorously presented. I was searching for loop quantum gravity when I fell upon it by accident.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:37 pm

Do we know how many sqft is being heated yet? I read through twice...did i miss it?

TenderFrost

Post by TenderFrost » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 2:15 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:37 pm
Do we know how many sqft is being heated yet? I read through twice...did i miss it?
I honestly don't know the sq ft, house is too big for me &husky, but for the price I couldn't beat it.
Also a huge factor was that it didn't just sit unheated in winter unlike other. It was empty just few months and not yet destroyed by just sitting unheated in winter.

But, to give an idea, total size of the ground floor is about 7x size of bedroom which is nice small and cozy (fits king bed and some furniture) and very easy to warm up even with baseboard heater as that's where the only door is.

There's three bedrooms upstairs, which I am sure are constantly sucking up all the up-rising heat.

I'm unclear whether the bedrooms upstairs are helpful in terms of heat conservation or not. They are an additional layer, so I am guessing it would be colder in house if the house was just single-story?

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 4:53 pm

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 11:30 am
Did I ever mention that I have been said more than once in my life to be potentially mildly autistic? As such, I more than often enough find it extremely difficult (call it awkward) to express myself via humor (though sometimes I work at it). I also find it quite difficult to express my feelings in regard to those with medical issues and the like, and thereby eloquently word my feelings in text. And I struggle immensely to maintain a proper semblance of eye contact without outright forcing myself to do it. I even find it difficult to smile or show emotions outwardly. All of this makes Johnny Larry a rather dull boy when it comes to forum participation, social interactions, group functions, etc.... I'm really something at parties (which, among other things, I try to avoid if possible).
With 18,000 posts I would not call you bashful, or lacking in social interaction. Whatever failings you think you have, have been more than compensated for in the respect the group feels for you.

You demonstrate the value of unique individualism within a group and by so doing illustrate benefit to the collective, while arguing otherwise.

We need the easy sociability of some and also the studied reticence of others to balance the social contract that is at the heart of our nature. The unease you feel proves the power of that social contract which overrides a very objective personal nature.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 5:03 pm

A big plus 1 on what franco b said!! Larry, that's why you & I are the Ying & Yang of this here FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 5:07 pm

Thanks guys!!!

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 5:54 pm

lsayre wrote:
Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 1:09 pm
Never saw it, sans for a snippet on youtube in which a debate over string theory vs. loop quantum gravity was being humorously presented. I was searching for loop quantum gravity when I fell upon it by accident.
Kind of a silly stupid comedy that was on a lot of years about some young scientists, astronaut, and a neighbor drunk girl thru the years. By the end they were all married or close to it but still friends. Sheldon is the one that your statement reminded me of. He was also the highest paid person in a sitcom for years because of his popularity for the same reasons. Young Sheldon, a present day sitcom, is about him in his younger years but not as good of a show.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 8:01 pm

This is what I saw.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Thu. Mar. 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Such a wise ol fella, that Richard (franco b). A man who always has the big picture in view. A man who is always willing to search out the good in others and uplift them with it. This board wouldn't be the same without either of you. Bravo on the post above, that was perfect :)

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Fri. Mar. 06, 2020 11:30 am

TenderFrost wrote:
Wed. Mar. 04, 2020 2:15 pm
I honestly don't know the sq ft, house is too big for me &husky, but for the price I couldn't beat it.
Also a huge factor was that it didn't just sit unheated in winter unlike other. It was empty just few months and not yet destroyed by just sitting unheated in winter.

But, to give an idea, total size of the ground floor is about 7x size of bedroom which is nice small and cozy (fits king bed and some furniture) and very easy to warm up even with baseboard heater as that's where the only door is.

There's three bedrooms upstairs, which I am sure are constantly sucking up all the up-rising heat.

I'm unclear whether the bedrooms upstairs are helpful in terms of heat conservation or not. They are an additional layer, so I am guessing it would be colder in house if the house was just single-story?
if it were me, esp. in the present heating arrangement I would close off the upstairs, it's only exposing more square footage of wall and ceiling area to heat loss.

my grandparents built a door that they closed horizontally at the level of the second story floor at the top of the stairway in their house during the winter and slept on the enclosed sun porch off the living room on the first floor. saved lots of heating costs.

doing anything similar will cut your heating area about in half and thus the size of heater you need and drop your fuel use accordingly.

at the age of your house which is pretty close to mine is there ANY insulation in the side walls ? there isn't in mine. Tyvek house warp or similar could be applied to the outer walls as a wind break but would have to be fastened with 1x2 or 3 furring strips or the wind will tear it off on day one.

as said by others any and everything you do to stop air infiltration is a great help. also if you are looking to stay there 20-30 years time is on your side for staging improvements.

will be watching to see how you fare,
steve

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Mon. Apr. 13, 2020 8:42 pm

I’d say a Harman or Legacy SF-250 would fit the build. They have a huge firebox and have over fire air for burning wood and soft coals. There is water jacket that can be installed on them as well as an oven.

TenderFrost

Post by TenderFrost » Thu. Apr. 16, 2020 11:22 pm

KingCoal wrote:
Fri. Mar. 06, 2020 11:30 am
at the age of your house which is pretty close to mine is there ANY insulation in the side walls ? there isn't in mine. Tyvek house warp or similar could be applied to the outer walls as a wind break but would have to be fastened with 1x2 or 3 furring strips or the wind will tear it off on day one.

as said by others any and everything you do to stop air infiltration is a great help. also if you are looking to stay there 20-30 years time is on your side for staging improvements.
I doubt there is any insulation in the walls, but who really knows. How could I figure it out myself?

My outer siding is from wooden planks and they really, really, truly got a horrendous beating after just one winter.
The wood looked just fine in September, but after just one winter, it's incredibly decimated. When I compare the photos from 6 months ago, it's mindblowing...

The winds around here are quite brutal. Now, I do kinda have unlimited time to do the repairs myself, though.

I presume the siding is either nailed or screwed in - that doesn't look like a hard job to do myself.
Perhaps, once the siding is down, I could insulate the house, or at least put some wrap around it ? But, with insulation, given how thick it is, I suspect some additional wooden structure would have to put around the house, no ? Can't just squeeze the insulation in, I suppose. I suspect it should be obvious, once the siding is down...

But, it's almost end of April, and yesterday it was snowing. Just few days ago it was around -20'C at night...

In my naivete I really didn't expect I would dress up with 4 layers inside the house at end of April while both electric board heaters are "blasting".

TenderFrost

Post by TenderFrost » Thu. Apr. 16, 2020 11:24 pm

Does anybody have direct experience with some of the stand-alone electric infrared heaters.

Do they generate more heat than a baseboard heater ? They do seem to consume same amount of electricity, so perhaps at least they would create warmer environment ?

Or it doesn't really matter and the heat output from same 1.5 kW is identical, regardless of type of heater ?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”