Early spring and fall coal burning

hopper
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HeatmasterSS 5000MF
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut Anthracite

Post by hopper » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 10:50 am

Hello folks,
Been reading the forum alot this year and it has been very helpful. I have a HeatmasterSS MF5000 OWB and this is the first winter I have used coal. It truly has been a learning experience! I have finally become comfortable with loading and keeping lit in colder weather, but the issue I seem to be having is in more temperate temps. Here in central KY we may get up to 60 in the daytime and 35 at night as we get into spring. With daytime temps this high my water temp does not go low enough to kick in the forced air and I have issues keeping my coal bed lit good. I am burning anthracite and it seems to do better with more fuel than less. I have propped open my air vent about 1/4 inch to get a continues flow of air when the blower is not running and I am wondering if I need to increase the opening and that may help. I have excellent chimney draw. It may be that I have to burn wood in more moderate temps, but I really like the steady heat the coal provides. Any thoughts appreciated and thanks again to all who have provided excellent tips in the forum.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 3:02 pm

Welcome to the forum!!
Coal definitely likes a deep coal bed. Around 8 to 9 inches, & make sure all the grates are covered. Leave no room for air to sneak by the coal bed. After that just do a good poke & shake till the ash pan brightens & a few red coals drop. Ashing up seems to be the biggest problem for beginners. If you have an IR gun use it & try to shoot the load door & keep that at 200* or higher. You still may have to open air vent a little more. Just remember coal is very slow to react. Good luck.
Jim

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 3:14 pm

Yep, ya can't hate coal heat. What he said--BUT, I know people around here that have problems similar on warmer days (shoulder months) that find going to wood during is the trick. :) Seems like Kentucky is ALL shoulder months!! LOL

coalder

Post by coalder » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 3:38 pm

Another thing I just thought of is: Your unit being designed primarily for wood, you might have air baffles front & rear to allow air to bypass the fire bed. Remember wood doesn't care where it gets it's air; however air for coal must come up through the coal bed. There have been others on here with that problem & had to stuff insulation into those baffles insuring all air was forced through the coal. You might just want to check.
Jim

hopper

Post by hopper » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 4:11 pm

Thanks to all for the info. KY seems to be "shoulder months" in winter! I am not familiar with an IR gun nor how to use it. Seems like I may not be keeping my bed deep enough, and if that is the case could be the cause of my issues when it is warmer outside. Will keep plugging away and thanks again.

coalder

Post by coalder » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 4:46 pm

hopper wrote:
Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 4:11 pm
Thanks to all for the info. KY seems to be "shoulder months" in winter! I am not familiar with an IR gun nor how to use it. Seems like I may not be keeping my bed deep enough, and if that is the case could be the cause of my issues when it is warmer outside. Will keep plugging away and thanks again.
Infa ray gun shoots a red bead at target & reads temp. Less than $50.00 on line. Also don't forget to look for those baffles. Ifn they are there would make a HUGH difference when plugged.
PS: betcha a dollar they are there. ;)
Jim

hopper

Post by hopper » Sat. Feb. 01, 2020 10:51 pm

Thanks Jim The gun sounds like a good idea and I am going to check the baffle situation.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”