Sauerkraut makingatt.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Me and the wife were at a farmers outlet for cabbage .This triggered the following story .Fall mom did canning such as put up carrots tomatoes pickles for winter .But also sauerkraut making .After cleaning a barrel mom shredded many heads of cabbage this went into the barrel .No lie With Clean Feet we kids to turns Stomping the cabbage in the barrel . Mom covered the barrel ith a lid .Periodically mom skimmed off some stuff I think a impurity .After this kraut was done working time for supper .Sauerkraut served Over Kielbasi and Mash Potatoes with rye bread .Man No Ne Kraut tastes like Home Made Kraut Simmering On The kitchen Coal Stove .jack

StokerDon
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Gentleman Janitor GJ-5, Van Wert VA-600, Axeman Anderson130 X3.
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Harman SF3500 reduced down to 3 grates connected to its own plenum
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Chestnut and whatever will fit through the door on the Harman
Other Heating: Noth'in but COAL! Well, Maybe a little tiny bit of wood

Post by StokerDon » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks Jack, now ya made me hungry! I never did get my New Years Kraut this year. :cry:

-Don

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Thanx,Jack! Ya' Smashed Another One Right Out Of Da' Park!! I remember making Saurkraut with the Old Man in a Big Crock! We did pickles too!

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Brain fog pop also had a Tamper to really crush the cabbage to accelerate fermentation . jack

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Get yourself a fancy German or Polish fermenting crock. They have an air lock in their design to prevent spoiling. Homemade krout is good, you can add apples in to ferment with the cabbage too.

Wife's sister gave me a recipe for sourkrout soup. I like it but the wife don't. I don't know why, it was her mom's recipe. Women are funny like that :what:

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:39 pm

Good story, Jack!

A lot of people pay good money for those old crocks and most are cracked. I recently found a source for brand new crocks.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:51 pm

i used to help my grandmother make sauerkraut at the local church.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:59 pm

I make it however this year the cabbage looper worms ate the hell out of my cabbage. It seems like those worms are getting worse every year, my guess all the rain. Seven dust doesn’t seem as good as it once was. Anyone have any other ideas on keeping cabbage worm free?

Toddburn

Post by Toddburn » Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 10:08 pm

Gaw...sauerkraut soup mighty tasty. Haven’t had it I awhile think I’ll make some real soon.

creek44
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by creek44 » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 12:44 am

New American Made crocks available from Ohio Stoneware in Zanesville, Ohio.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 12:43 pm

Toddburn wrote:
Sat. Jan. 18, 2020 9:59 pm
I make it however this year the cabbage looper worms ate the hell out of my cabbage. It seems like those worms are getting worse every year, my guess all the rain. Seven dust doesn’t seem as good as it once was. Anyone have any other ideas on keeping cabbage worm free?
I'm a beekeeper and look differently towards better pest control...
Seven dust is like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack...you're killing both good and bad...

Loopers are easy to control with a dust bacteria that upsets their gut/digestion to kill them and is harmless to other insects that prey also on looper worms and many other unwanted pest. A sterile bug-free garden is not the answer...
Hint: Never kill a horned tomato worm covered with wasp white egg/larvae attached...larvae will feed on worm and kill it but also when hatched repeat and lay more eggs on more worms...never interfer to break that cycle...

Pollinators have hairy bodies and collect pollen/dust to feed their baby pollinators...do not nuke your blooms/plants, thanks.

Toddburn

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 1:08 pm

Thank you Mac. What type of dust bacteria is recommended? As far as pesticides I agree my cabbage is the only thing I ever use it on. I hate killing bees my strawberry plants have really been on the production decline the last few years. Thousands if blossoms and very little fruit. Was actually kicking the idea around of getting into bee keeping.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Dipel or Thuricide for loopers.

Lots of different pollinators exist but competing non-blooming crops may get sprayed when your berries are in bloom.
A local strawberry grower contacted me about placing and renting a number of bee colonies at his fields for reason of very poor mis-shapend undersized fruit. I went to meet and look over the fields and while there asked of his pest control program. He rattled off some chemical names and I asked at what stage of plant growth did he apply them...he replied, 'at full bloom, of course'. So I asked to see the bag labels and upon reading the label turns out his application timing was killing every pollination that entered the field.

Turns out he didn't need to rent my bees after all...especially since my bees where close enough and already doing the job as it were.
Yes, I was rewarded for my efforts, as now he had solved my long mystery of who was killing all my field forage aged bees each spring. For several years I had regular massive bee deaths in my nearby bee yard. This all changed and we both came out winners. :)

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 2:00 pm

Presently I am mentoring a fellow retiree who established a fruit orchard over several years and appears is isolated from any native honeybees due to urban sprawl. I am supplying him my long standing sturdy queen bee stock in hopes it's offspring can endure some of what that unfriendly region has to offer, fingers crossed. ;)

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Jan. 19, 2020 2:33 pm

This Thread Is A Complete "Crock" Ha Ha He He! I am really going to burn in Hell for this one,Gang!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”