Kimmel Coal Quality

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Thu. Mar. 12, 2009 7:34 pm

The longer the pallet is outside and exposed to weather, the more water " some" bags will have in them. Where the bag
is on the pallet determines how much water it gets exposed to . On a full pallet of 50 - 50lb bags, I find only 6 or 8 with dripping water content. The rest are merely a dust defying damp.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 7:22 am

My AHS friend bought 22 ton of bagged pea size Kimmel. Good stuff! He does have it under cover so no dripping bags.

mr1precision
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Post by mr1precision » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:10 am

Freddy wrote:My AHS friend bought 22 ton of bagged pea size Kimmel. Good stuff! He does have it under cover so no dripping bags.
Fred,
When you say, "under cover" do you mean that he puts an additional tarp over the already shrink wrapped pallets?
Looking at the way its wrapped I cant see how the water gets in.
Steve

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:40 am

mr1precision wrote:What a frigging mess! I just unwrapped a brand new pallet and some of the bags are draining black ashy water all over my basement floor. Does this happen to anyone else?
Steve
Same here. I had to wear coveralls to carry the Kimmels bags and fill the hopper. Nasty stuff. I bought a pallet of Blaschak (1.2 ton) and LOVE the bags. It costs me $15 more a ton, but no more coveralls. :dancing: For me it's worth the extra cost.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 10:20 am

If you look at the pallet cap, the black plastic, it only goes down 12-16" on the sides of the pallet. Then, the package is
wrapped in plastic. The plastic wrap funnels the water that falls on the top of the pallet , sending the water down the pallet
sides, under the plastic wrap, but on top of the black plastic cap. Once the water passes the black cap, it is on the bags. The
water will travel to the lowest point, usually some where in the center of the pallet, following channels and edges created by
the pattern the bags are stacked in. This is why some bags are wetter than others on the same pallet.
This happens with any bagged product packed the same way. The Kimmel bags are a weave, Blashack are a solid plastic
with "gills" on the sides. Is one any better than another? Hard to say. The gill bags may be tougher only because water
will not drain from a bag on the pallet once it gets wet. The weave may... It is really luck of the draw as to how much
water is in a bag on any given load.

mr1precision
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130

Post by mr1precision » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 4:46 pm

sterling_40man wrote:
mr1precision wrote:What a frigging mess! I just unwrapped a brand new pallet and some of the bags are draining black ashy water all over my basement floor. Does this happen to anyone else?
Steve
Same here. I had to wear coveralls to carry the Kimmels bags and fill the hopper. Nasty stuff. I bought a pallet of Blaschak (1.2 ton) and LOVE the bags. It costs me $15 more a ton, but no more coveralls. :dancing: For me it's worth the extra cost.
I was thinking of trying Blaschak or Reading. I heard Blaschak was pretty good. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time. Guess I have to find a local dealer.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:45 pm

My Kimmel bags end up dry after sitting in the basement near the stove........at least the ones over the 2' mark above the floor. That flood I had at the beginning of the season was 2 bags deep.

Doesn't matter this time of year anyway, because I have to set the bags in the pond to cut open & shovel in.

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 5:47 am

mr1precision wrote:I was thinking of trying Blaschak or Reading. I heard Blaschak was pretty good. Maybe I'll give it a shot next time. Guess I have to find a local dealer.
This was my first year with coal. I burned 1.25 tons of Kimmel rice and now I'm burning Blaschak. I've gone through about 300lbs so far. I've noticed that the Blaschak is more consistant with less fines. I really haven't noticed any difference on the burn yet.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Sat. Mar. 14, 2009 7:25 am

sterling_40man wrote:
Steve
I've noticed with the Blaschak there are a lot of bags now that are real oily. My first pallet was good but this second one has had a lot of bags that has oil not only on the outside of them but in the inside causing the coal to stick to the inside of the bag and oil doesn't seem to just simply dry up like water does.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Wed. Aug. 21, 2013 6:26 pm

I bought 22.5 tons of Kimmel's and so far I used like 6 bags and no noticeable trash and it's very wet. Shower is still hot. Ash seems less than the last load of mystery coal I bought. That being said My EFM520 eats pretty much whatever I put in it.

I'm On Fire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machines DS-1600 Hot Air Circulator

Post by I'm On Fire » Tue. Sep. 10, 2013 6:11 pm

It's all I burn. I have no complaints. Get the occasional stick or root and they all burn. Never had a problem with Kimmel's. I like Kimmel's.

Sonia Davis

Post by Sonia Davis » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 10:21 am

Adamiscold wrote:This is the only post I've read on their coal.

Researching Is a Pain in the Butt
we need 20.000Mt coal to Agapa Port Jordan. Direct contract Goverment

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Tue. Nov. 19, 2013 10:38 am

I'm guessing that means metric tons. About 2200 pounds per metric ton. Where's that intermodal coal container I was speaking of. Sonia. Try Lehigh Anthracite too. They, apparently, ship overseas or know those who do.

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Tue. Oct. 07, 2014 10:57 pm

mykimmeles sound like diamonds buydirty mostly uniformsome small stuff but over all good did have big stuff in there but overe all it goood

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Oct. 08, 2014 6:43 am

For anyone interested, there's mention of how it burns this year in the thread, "Tractor Supply stores to start carrying bagged anthracite."

Here, Tractor Supply Stores to Start Carrying Bagged Anthracite

Paul

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”