Kimmel Coal Quality

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. Oct. 10, 2014 7:52 am

the kimmel I got was at a tsc in findaly oh. store seen 3 skids out front and they had anopen skid to buy the individual bags all nut like to see if they can get some stove size in toi called kimmel and they said they test there coal every day and have specs upon request~they pull from 2 deep mines and 3 strip mines of there own and also get from other mines for there blend .......

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Oct. 10, 2014 11:48 am

Those posts I made on the first 2 pages of the thread here were way back before I had ever tried Blaschak. The difference in the handfired was night and day! Blaschak had HALF the ash, if not less, TWICE as long of a burn, and same heat output. That's all I've been burning since the '09-'10 season.

The other bonus is, Blaschak bags can handle years of UV exposure, while Kimmel's bags literally disintegrate within a few months of direct sunlight!

This was a few years back, so YMMV .... coal quality can change as they follow the veins .... :idea:

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 7:16 am

I'm guessing that the quality of the Kimmel coal has improved since you last tried it. Had a nice fire burning since yesterday. While only a small fire it has burned through the night & is still going strong. Small pile of ash in the ash pan, nothing out of the ordinary. Coal was clean, no debris & looked to be nicely sized.

Good to know about the bags breaking down. The pallets come fully wrapped in black plastic but since I'm hauling 25 bags a load from Tractor Supply that's history. I'll throw a tarp over the open pallets, use up the Kimmel this winter & save my Blaschak for next year.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 7:29 am

The Kimmel's I bought from TSC is burning very well. Fired the stove on Thursday and it's idling along nicely so far. Haven't gone through the first bag yet and the ash pan is about half full. I burned it hot for an hour or so to burn the paint off as I repainted the stove and pipe. No complaints what so ever at this point. I burned Kimmel's in the past that I purchased bulk and had no complains either. Just sayin'.

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 4:27 pm

JohnB wrote: Coal was clean, no debris & looked to be nicely sized..
Spoke too soon. I did find one strip of wood in my coal hod. Still I'd rather have Kimmel wood that burns then Blaschak nails.

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 6:29 pm

souds like kimmel is all well this yr great 111111111111111

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Sun. Oct. 12, 2014 6:33 pm

The five bags I have used so far has been excellent. Like it better than Blaschak. Fewer volatiles and less popping coal.

DePippo79
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Oak 40, Stanley Argand No. 30, Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Stanley Argand No. 20 missing parts.
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite. Stove and nut size.
Other Heating: Oil hot water.

Post by DePippo79 » Mon. Oct. 13, 2014 4:00 am

This is Kimmel pea burning in my new friend. Got a few bags from the local Agway. No problems. Coal real clean and sized very consistently. First time using pea. Looks like the Blaschak pea I got to try for a experiment. No difference in ash between Kimmel and my Blaschak. Matt

Attachments

022.jpg
.JPG | 86.3KB | 022.jpg

gweedow
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Newmac
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite, nut all so Bit.
Other Heating: Oil

Post by gweedow » Tue. Oct. 14, 2014 10:17 pm

I bought my Kimmel from a local Tractor Supply. Tried a bag Sunday. No fine stuff in the bag, just about all the right size(nut). 30 bags. Stacked it underneath the inside garage steps. I have a two story garage. Built the coal bin under there. Good hot fire, No smoke, fine ash. I'm very glad about the hardly no smoke. Was burning Bit. Last year. Will go back to TS and get a skid or ton, in couple weeks. Lot lower price then at the supply and landscape yards. I wrote TS saying I hope they will keep on getting Anthracite in. Maybe Kimmel saw some of the complaints way back. :D

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Wed. Oct. 15, 2014 7:42 am

yes I hope they get the sales m keep sellin !!!!! I ll ne a good customer at the price and quality for sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Sat. Nov. 01, 2014 8:14 am

I started the basement box stove again, a couple weeks ago I burned for the first time with Reading coal when he MIL was cold. This week has been TSC kimmels and boy is this stuff hot! I woke to a dying fire but the stove was still @ 75% hot and reloaded. I came upstairs to make some scrambled eggs and when I went back to the basement the stove was 600*. Good stuff for 4.99/bag. :)

coalfan

Post by coalfan » Sun. Nov. 02, 2014 7:40 am

EVERY THING AM HEARIN AND CAN SEE IT GOOD THIS TEAR HAVE ANTHER TON ON ORDER ALONG WITH 3 OTHER TON OTHER FOLKS HAVE ORDERED WAITIN FOR THE CALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AND THE PRICE ! CANT COMPLAIN !!EITHER STAY WARM !!!!!!!!!!!

Hebner
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: DS Machine Ecomiser
Coal Size/Type: Nut Blaschak and Kimmel
Other Heating: Wood and ProPAIN

Post by Hebner » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Burnt blaschak last year and was very happy with it. Burning TSC kimmel's this year because it was a lot closer for pickup and also $0.65 a bag cheaper. Have burnt about 10 bags so far and is burning the same as the blaschak did last year with same amount of ash.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 03, 2014 7:16 pm

franco b wrote:The five bags I have used so far has been excellent. Like it better than Blaschak. Fewer volatiles and less popping coal.
Wow it sounds like Blaschak and Kimmels have exchanged mines from '08-'09! :lol: Back then, Kimmels used to smoke & bubble like molten plastic, and smell just like bituminous. Orange flame too - I swear it was more bituminous than anthracite back then ...

Davian

Post by Davian » Sat. Nov. 08, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm burning Kimmel today and its super hot compared to the year old blaschak bag I started up with yesterday. The Kimmel bag is pushing me out of the room even with the stove cranked down at this point. Great quality in that first bag and very little fines compared to the blaschak bag where the bottom quarter of the bag was basically pea sized coal.

Return to “Coal Prices & Quality, Coal Dealer Inquiries & Reviews”