See, our coal burning units are mini-reactors. :D

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Sep. 25, 2019 5:04 pm

Youtube has many examples of wood gasifiers and you can run a air compressor backwards and fill into propane cylinders. I did it with a Hillman Imp car back long before you were a twinkle in your daddies eyes and had fun. Keep these ideas for when Iran blows up a few refineries. Sell the trucks, buy a Mustang and go chase girls.

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Wed. Sep. 25, 2019 7:35 pm

Always got more girls when I drove a Taurus station wagon than when I had my notchback

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's one of the first anthracite coal gasification power plants was built in Hazleton, Pa.

Although I supplied the plant with well over 10,000 tons of anthracite, I really have to think back or call a lifeline to recall the actual process. I do remember the sizing was important.

The plant ran for about 10 years before being converted to natural gas.

There were also plans to build a similar plant in Southern Indiana about 5 years ago.

Paulie

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 1:21 pm

Now i'm more confused. Gassification would be for turning solid into gas. Gaseous coal would work how?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 1:56 pm

wnycoalier wrote:
Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 1:21 pm
Now i'm more confused. Gassification would be for turning solid into gas. Gaseous coal would work how?
Carbon Monoxide and other trace hydrocarbons. Any carbon is fuel potential.

Accomplished by "Baking" the solid coal in a oxygen starved chamber with controlled air in and controlled CO fuel out...a carburetor/reactor of large proportions to feed a boiler to spin a turbine-generator.

The energy for "baking comes from the CO after "jump-starting' the process externally and then switching over to the self-sustaining CO production...all therms produced are added to the process...none or very little ever gets wasted. Natural gas prices dictate economical feasibility, compared to price of the coal available and it's heat content..

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 11:14 pm

1 GGE = 33.40 KWH
West Penn Power price to compare is 5 cents per KWH
1 GGE = $1.667

Me thinks electric is a better "alternative vehicle fuel" although actually gas/ wind/ water or coal depending on generating station. Like or not the internal combustion engine is on the way out once time for recharge issue gets solved.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Bubbalowe wrote:
Thu. Sep. 26, 2019 11:14 pm
1 GGE = 33.40 KWH
West Penn Power price to compare is 5 cents per KWH
1 GGE = $1.667

Me thinks electric is a better "alternative vehicle fuel" although actually gas/ wind/ water or coal depending on generating station. Like or not the internal combustion engine is on the way out once time for recharge issue gets solved.
Price to compare does NOT take into account getting the generated power delivered to your house meter.
Wouldn't that need added in also???

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 3:28 am

Like or not the internal combustion engine is on the way out once time for recharge issue gets solved.
Like it or not, I suppose we can imagine a day in the future when a 100kwh battery can be recharged in say 5 minutes but transmission losses will remain at about 30% unless superconductors at RT come into being. The average house is wired at about 200amp so an infinite battery means little. It's just another stupid pipe dream.When people get over these stupid wet dreams they will realize that gas and diesel are uniquely capable fuels and modern engines are just fabulous.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 9:36 am

coalnewbie wrote:
Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 3:28 am
Like it or not, I suppose we can imagine a day in the future when a 100kwh battery can be recharged in say 5 minutes but transmission losses will remain at about 30% unless superconductors at RT come into being. The average house is wired at about 200amp so an infinite battery means little. It's just another stupid pipe dream.When people get over these stupid wet dreams they will realize that gas and diesel are uniquely capable fuels and modern engines are just fabulous.
People riding horses thought gasoline powered vehicles were stupid wet dreams also. While Tesla pursued quick charge technology and integrated the batteries in the frame the Chinese now are developing change out batteries like you change a drill. Pull into a "gas station" and exchange the battery for full charged one and go, solves the range and recharge time issue. Electric vehicles are proven superior in performance, look at Harley Livewire or Tesla specs if you don't believe.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 11:16 am

Not advocating smaller electric services, but:
How long of time does anyone run up to even near half of the 200 amps capacity for an average home?

Some oldtimers care little of/for a time that they will never see, and are stuck in their ways of thinking, but that's a pretty normal outlook and others younger will just move forward anyways, so no biggie.

Lead, Follow or Get the H--- Out of the Way! :o

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 12:01 pm

and that is why after over a decade of trying to push this c rap and endless govt subsidies, less than 1% of cars are EVs. Especially it the Northern half of the country. Lead by all means but don't rip me off with endless and mindless rebates to the rich. Horses got replaced as a better idea came along. No one had to subsidize the replacement. It's not even a planet saver. You guys are clueless.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 12:03 pm

Electric cars predate ICE, the only difference is ICE has advance and electric is still "in its infancy" a hundred something years later.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 12:19 pm

coaledsweat wrote:
Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 12:03 pm
Electric cars predate ICE, the only difference is ICE has advance and electric is still "in its infancy" a hundred something years later.
Although a interesting observation, the EV was ignored for the most part...follow the Money...

ICE has always generated HUGE government tax revenues, where EV don't...what government wants to ignore a HUGH tax revenue for all the fuels consumed for an entire county for decades after decades?...and Big Oil has control now and will still have when the oil has gone or out of favor with their sound business practices that always keep them on top of the "heap".

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. Sep. 27, 2019 12:41 pm

Do you really thing that when I just bought my new Mustang I did not review all options? Do you really think I did not buy an EV as I am very old and just used to the old way. Do you think that the many oil companies are not in intense competition? Do you think that if someone came out say with a car that really runs on water that you would have to pay me $7500 as an incentive to go buy one? Excuse me, I need to take time out to go bang my head against the wall. Here is that bad news, for the Northern corridor of the country it is a lousy idea and that is why they can't give them away. It should not be so hard to work out. What is wrong with you guys.... EVs are not progress.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”