McAdoo closure questions.

franpipeman
Stoker Coal Boiler: efm 520 stoker fitzgibbons pressure vessel
Hand Fed Coal Stove: harman, russo
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: alpine propane condensing boiler radiant floor

Post by franpipeman » Thu. Jun. 20, 2019 6:58 pm

While this may be yesterdays news in the neighborhoods close to it , I Just got a auction notice for the McAdoo power plant hardware and equipment , meaning the plant is closed. Could some one share details of the origins of this plant and what you feel forced it to close. Is it a anthracite plant or a culm plant? Are there any culm fired power plants remaing and was their federal incentives in building this plant . Culm is waste coal and other debris that still has recoverable energy. ( i think)

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Thu. Jun. 20, 2019 9:30 pm

I remember back in the 80s when they built all those plants up 81. Here is an old article you may find interesting. https://www.mcall.com/news/mc-xpm-1986-11-19-2550 ... story.html

Press release of the closing.
https://investor.vistraenergy.com/investor-relati ... fault.aspx

They say not profitable. I know they have to blow lime into the fire to keep emissions in check, I guess acid levels. A relative of mine delivers lime to Gilberton, 2 to 3 loads a day, 5 to 6 days a week.

RT Hauling
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: alaska stoker II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: florin foundry 810
Coal Size/Type: rice and pea

Post by RT Hauling » Fri. Jun. 21, 2019 3:46 am

There is a culm fired plant near me in Marion Heights Pa. near Mt Carmel. I heard they do cut back in the summer months due to lack of sales. Most of the time you see trucks running up the hill on rt 54 bringing in full loads of culm to be burned.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”