Sherman Coal Quality

Hank

Post by Hank » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Anyone have any information of the coal quality from Sherman? I am looking for anyone who has used it recently...I would appreciate your insights...Thanks

mike

Post by mike » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 4:15 pm

There coal is pretty good, on par with lennings for sure. I should know I work in the deep mine that supplys part of there coal!

Hank

Post by Hank » Tue. Jul. 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Thanks Mike...

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 4:42 am

mike wrote:There coal is pretty good, on par with lennings for sure. I should know I work in the deep mine that supplys part of there coal!
But have you burned any of it yet :?: I got a ton late 06 It was not that good How much coal are you
supplying them because as you know they are hit and miss in Qaulity and consistent They always
have been since the current owner bought the Place years ago At one time they where one of the best breakers around not the case anymore

mike

Post by mike » Wed. Jul. 09, 2008 4:47 pm

I am burning a mix of sherman and lennings right now. We load a triaxle a day 6 days a week at the mine.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 12:40 am

Mike Have you tried burning Sherman straight with out mixing it with other's A Tri - Axel every 6 days is not that much
coal unless your there the day the truck drops it off you will not even get any of it because by the end of the day that coal
will be gone or mix with the other coal they get Unless you are taking it home right from the mine or you are sitting at the breaker waiting for it to be Processed you will not get it straight You know where most of there coal is coming from even with the coal that you are mining the Qaulity will not be consistent as the other breaker's around the same area

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 7:12 am

i think you mis understood mike, its a triaxle a day....... 6 days a week. hang on a sec...... let me get my calculator.

6 triaxles a week I figure that comes out to be ;)

however like you said, I wonder what they are mixing it with. where else do they get their coal. and if its not getting prepared properly it doesnt matter how good of coal we send them.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Chris They where getting from 4 Places besides from where you & Mike are working There Main office is out of Elysburg PA There are two Mining co. up there Black Diamond Mining Inc . Refuse co, & Mountaintop coal Mining Inc. Surface mining co. Both are out of Elysburg PA. They are also getting some from the old banks out at the old Indian head colliery
out in Zerbe / Newtown PA Mike should know where that is at also there where getting some coal from Selkirk Mining co.
Silverton Mine Out on the Sharp Mountain out by Llewellyn PA Mike might know where that is aswell Both Surface mining
& Refuse coal You will see them on the Dep link below before the current owner bought the breaker back in 1993 or 1994
Kocher Coal co. Hand a Slop down from the Breaker witch was real good coal Lyken # 3 or 4 Roger from Superior coal worked for kocker for 35 years The coal use to test out at 3.5 to 4% sometime times lower They always had to mix it
to get the ash content up so you would get a good burn As You know any coal that is under 5% will not burn correct you must mix it to get it to burn If you don't all you will get is fuzion / clinker coal or it will not burn at all Low ash coal is not always the best
coal you can get alot of clinkers Low ash High Fuzion You will get Fuzion with Red ash coal as you know But White ash will
Just not burn at all Like Mike's east on the Mountain where you are working the coal He is into the Mammoth Top Split
& the Middel split aswell as the middle bottom split also some of the Primrose Holmes & the Skidmore where you are in
He was Testing at 2.5 % to 3% when he first started in there well that coal will not burn at all so he has to mix it to get
the ash content up so it will burn he is now at 9 to 9.5 % 95 % of his coal is white ash as you know that shows that any
coal White ash or Red ash will not burn correctly under 5 % or even 6% with out mixing it Take UAE coal that is anywhere from 6 to 7% Now it was 5 to 6% at one time in a stoker boiler or stove where you have lots of air That coal will clinker up
soft clinkers that you can break with your hands but it still clinkers when you burn it hot or even in warm weather Now
take that same coal and burn it in a Hand Fed stove you will not get any clinkers it burns to a Powder That is Lykens # 2
Vein Low ash High Fuzion As you know some coal will have lower & Higher Fuzion Points Some will start at 2500F and other
will go to 2900F or more or less before fuzion happends I am sure you know all of this already Just thought it Might help
other's that don't and I didn't even get into the High & low Iron content of some coal Lots to know about Coal it can be
tricky to figure out Bottom line is Not all coal is the same ;)
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.manta.com/c/mmljxgb/sherman-coal-co-inc

http://web2.userinstinct.com/38228117-sherman-coa ... co-inc.htm

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 4:46 pm

Chris Murley wrote:i think you mis understood mike, its a triaxle a day....... 6 days a week. hang on a sec...... let me get my calculator.

6 triaxles a week I figure that comes out to be ;)

however like you said, I wonder what they are mixing it with. where else do they get their coal. and if its not getting prepared properly it doesnt matter how good of coal we send them.

Well if they are 20 ton loads that would be 120 tons if they are 25 ton loads that is 150 tons Now I will start counting the trucks when they go by my house and let you know :P Remember where I live the trucks have to go by my house if they
are using Rt 209 ;)

mike

Post by mike » Sat. Jul. 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Make a correction on the triaxles, it's AT LEAST a truck a day. They picked a load up this morning and if the truck driver would have been back in time we would have sent another truck to the breaker. Some of our coal does ocasionaly go to other breakers (summit and Hegins) but the vast majority goes right to sherman. Our coal burns fine by itself, we have a handfired stove in the heisting shanty that burns 24/7 360 (would be 365 but it goes out over the 1 week summer vacation) days a year on our coal.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Sun. Jul. 13, 2008 2:03 am

Mike you Guys need to set up a roller crusher shaker and some water Size it and sell it up there like Larry is doing
I have no doubt about that coal is good It is the other coal that Sherman is getting and mixing in with it that I have
my doubts about it is always hit and miss up there not consisent Let me know whem you are going to set up the shaker :lol: I would only have to drive a 1/2 mile to get my coal well maybe 1 1/2 miles Take care Mike talk to you later ;)

mike

Post by mike » Thu. Jul. 17, 2008 3:07 pm

I was up at Sherman today on some business and they where BUSSSSSSSY! I Drove by Hegins and for the heck of it Superior and they were just as busy. Looks like the rush has begun guys. It's a exciting time to be in the anthracite business thats for sure. :arrow: And don't worry about the deep mines much, I have a feeling things will be changing very shortly with those guys too :up:

Bulldogr6
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harmon Magnum
Baseburners & Antiques: Station Agent 24
Coal Size/Type: Rice & Nut

Post by Bulldogr6 » Thu. Jul. 17, 2008 5:08 pm

coal berner wrote:Chris They where getting from 4 Places besides from where you & Mike are working There Main office is out of Elysburg PA There are two Mining co. up there Black Diamond Mining Inc . Refuse co, & Mountaintop coal Mining Inc. Surface mining co. Both are out of Elysburg PA. They are also getting some from the old banks out at the old Indian head colliery
out in Zerbe / Newtown PA Mike should know where that is at also there where getting some coal from Selkirk Mining co.
Silverton Mine Out on the Sharp Mountain out by Llewellyn PA Mike might know where that is aswell Both Surface mining
& Refuse coal You will see them on the Dep link below before the current owner bought the breaker back in 1993 or 1994
Kocher Coal co. Hand a Slop down from the Breaker witch was real good coal Lyken # 3 or 4 Roger from Superior coal worked for kocker for 35 years The coal use to test out at 3.5 to 4% sometime times lower They always had to mix it
to get the ash content up so you would get a good burn As You know any coal that is under 5% will not burn correct you must mix it to get it to burn If you don't all you will get is fuzion / clinker coal or it will not burn at all Low ash coal is not always the best
coal you can get alot of clinkers Low ash High Fuzion You will get Fuzion with Red ash coal as you know But White ash will
Just not burn at all Like Mike's east on the Mountain where you are working the coal He is into the Mammoth Top Split
& the Middel split aswell as the middle bottom split also some of the Primrose Holmes & the Skidmore where you are in
He was Testing at 2.5 % to 3% when he first started in there well that coal will not burn at all so he has to mix it to get
the ash content up so it will burn he is now at 9 to 9.5 % 95 % of his coal is white ash as you know that shows that any
coal White ash or Red ash will not burn correctly under 5 % or even 6% with out mixing it Take UAE coal that is anywhere from 6 to 7% Now it was 5 to 6% at one time in a stoker boiler or stove where you have lots of air That coal will clinker up
soft clinkers that you can break with your hands but it still clinkers when you burn it hot or even in warm weather Now
take that same coal and burn it in a Hand Fed stove you will not get any clinkers it burns to a Powder That is Lykens # 2
Vein Low ash High Fuzion As you know some coal will have lower & Higher Fuzion Points Some will start at 2500F and other
will go to 2900F or more or less before fuzion happends I am sure you know all of this already Just thought it Might help
other's that don't and I didn't even get into the High & low Iron content of some coal Lots to know about Coal it can be
tricky to figure out Bottom line is Not all coal is the same ;)
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.manta.com/c/mmljxgb/sherman-coal-co-inc

http://web2.userinstinct.com/38228117-sherman-coa ... co-inc.htm

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
Wow thats a LONG sentence!! I almost passed out reading it. :D

Lots of good info in there.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”