Oiled Coal at Breaker

Roginsky

Post by Roginsky » Sun. Jul. 06, 2008 4:04 pm

Hi our Leisure Line Stove, Hi Fire II, works great. However, we get a lot of dust from coal. Thank God the unit is in the basement. We were told to look for Oiled Coal at Breaker. Does anyone know a coal distributor in the Bloomsburg, PA area that delivers "oiled coal" to cut down on dust. Also, is this a firehazard to store indoors? We have the coal bin in our basement. We never knew oiled coal existed and we are trying to gather information on where to purchase 3 ton.

We have right now about 1.5 ton left of regular rice coal....is there anything we can put on the coal that will keep down the dust?

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Jul. 06, 2008 4:08 pm

Roginsky wrote:is there anything we can put on the coal that will keep down the dust?
Dampen the coal down with water. I use a pump sprayer and keep my coal damp all winter long by spraying it down every couple of days.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Jul. 06, 2008 5:01 pm

If you wany to go with the oil it's a really low grade vegetable that they use. I've only seen it in 55 gallon drums but I'm sure you can get it in 5 gallon drums. Not sure of any dealers that carry it, I think they generally charge about $10 extra a ton if you can find one.

If you find some oil like that get a garden type sprayer and spray it as its going down the chute into the bin. You can use a sprayer like that to put water on it too, you don't need much.

Lanster

Post by Lanster » Mon. Jul. 07, 2008 8:32 am

Balaschak coal corp in Mahanoy City will put oil on your coal if you request it. $180.00/ton for rice, $190.00 oiled. You will have to locate someone to haul it for you. I tried oiled coal for one season and felt it wasn`t worth the $10.00, just my opinion. Their phone # 773-2113, probably area code 570 but I`m not sure.

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Richard S. wrote:If you wany to go with the oil it's a really low grade vegetable that they use. I've only seen it in 55 gallon drums but I'm sure you can get it in 5 gallon drums.
Does anyone know where you can purchase any low grade vegetable oil like they use to oil coal? Or can it be any grade vegetable oil that could be sprayed on. I had 6 ton of rice delivered, most of which I plan on bagging and storing in a shed. I'm thinking of oiling it before bagging it, to cut down on dust in the house when filling the hopper.

Thanks.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 1:31 pm

If it only takes a little just buy some 1 gal.jugs at grocery store(cheapest you can find).
DON

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Wouldn't vegetable oil attract bugs?

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Wed. Sep. 17, 2008 2:18 pm

BIG BEAM wrote:If it only takes a little just buy some 1 gal.jugs at grocery store(cheapest you can find).
DON
That's kinda what I was thinking - as long as any vegetable oil will do the trick?

SAU

Post by SAU » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 3:29 am

Why not used motor oil? I have a couple of gallons that need to be recycled, may as well use it on the coal unless there is a reason not to.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 5:15 am

SAU wrote:Why not used motor oil?
The smell! If you don't mind smelling like Gomer's Service Station, feel free, but veg oil won't smell to speak off. I've heard some use peanut oil and the coal smells like a peanut butter sandwich all year.

Adamiscold

Post by Adamiscold » Thu. Sep. 18, 2008 7:12 am

Mmm PB&J sandwiches :up:

firefightergray

Post by firefightergray » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 10:04 am

this is really interesting.

does the water spray do the trick? if so I will use my lawn sprayer.

does anyone have any information (literature, websites, etc.) on using the veg oil? Anyone really tried it out?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 9:23 pm

Water works fine, I dumped 6 tons in my cellar after watering it down.......... zero dust.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 9:36 pm

If I use a 5 gallon bucket to load my stove's hopper I get lots of dust. However, when I use the bag that my coal comes in I get much less dust. I cut the top open and dump it in the stove wait a few seconds and then slowly remove the bag. Wetting your coal will work great too if u store the coal inside. Outside you won't want to deal with water when it's 20 degrees out and it will freeze the coal too.

SteelerCoal

Post by SteelerCoal » Sun. Sep. 21, 2008 9:42 pm

firefightergray wrote:this is really interesting.

does the water spray do the trick? if so I will use my lawn sprayer.

does anyone have any information (literature, websites, etc.) on using the veg oil? Anyone really tried it out?
I'll let you know. I have 6 ton in my outdoor bin that I plan on bagging by hand and storing in my garage. I'm going to give the vegetable oil a shot and see how it works. I gotta believe it will eliminate most, if not all, the dust from loading the coal into the hopper.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”