Interesting Article about Today's PA Coal Region

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 11:18 am

I found this an interesting read. It could spark hours of discussion at the local watering hole and there is a lot I could take issue with but interesting nonetheless.

https://www.mcall.com/business/healthcare/mc-nws- ... story.html

Rufcar
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van wert
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Rufcar » Mon. Jan. 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Growing up in and around coal all my life and knowing all the towns, plus being an elected official, I say most of that article is BS. I live at the southern end of 209 and hard coal pa.
We have way more jobs than people, many doctors and medical help. What we have are many misplaced city section 8 people the govt sends to small towns across the US. Most do not work, need lots of health care are responsible for most crime and skew all the statistics.
I can elaborate if asked but that's enough for now.

nepacoal
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-4 / "Kelly" and an EFM 520 at my in-laws
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Harman SF-260 - retired
Coal Size/Type: Buck

Post by nepacoal » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 6:31 am

+1 on this being BS. Tying coal production to homeless drug addicts is a bit of a stretch. Plenty of jobs and doctors but if you spend all your time and money searching for drugs, it's hard to hold down a job.

TheScrambler92

Post by TheScrambler92 » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 3:45 pm

I fail to see the problem with the town in this article. Sorry it sounds harsh, but if you have three kids at 28 and a drug problem, how can you honestly blame the town for your problems? Hope those sweet tats were worth the money too. Oh yeah, and how about that last picture, captioned with "an abandoned house they visit to escape their worries"? Sounds like a crack house to me.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 8:42 pm

TheScrambler92 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 3:45 pm
I fail to see the problem with the town in this article. Sorry it sounds harsh, but if you have three kids at 28 and a drug problem, how can you honestly blame the town for your problems? Hope those sweet tats were worth the money too. Oh yeah, and how about that last picture, captioned with "an abandoned house they visit to escape their worries"? Sounds like a crack house to me.
I like the way you think. ;) I can’t find much sympathy for the drug addicts in the article; they are suffering the consequences of their own poor decisions in life. Going to the ER for a tooth ache makes me wonder if she was hoping to score some “good” pain pills.

I love this passage from the article.
Kachmar lives in a small apartment with Litts and, sometimes, her three children. They rely on each other for money, food stamps and support. But on this day in September, he’s stuck in jail because he was confused about when he had to appear in court for stealing a few items from a convenience store.
Sometimes she lives with her three kids and I guess sometimes she doesn’t. Confused about your court date? OK :roll: Stole just a few things down at the convenience store… two cartons of smokes and the cash register, just those three items your honor.

As far as the Hospitals having to merge with larger hospital networks; I don’t know much about the business end of healthcare but I can tell you that in my lifetime I don’t ever remember anyone who thought the hospitals in Schuylkill County were worth a crap. Most people would consider them a detour on the way to the undertaker.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 9:20 pm

That's Lehigh's strip mine in the background if anyone is interested. We did a Meet and Greet there in 2016(damn that went quick), pictures start around page 4.

Meet and Greet for 2016 - Saturday Sept. 17th

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 12:31 am

gaw wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 8:42 pm
As far as the Hospitals having to merge with larger hospital networks; I don’t know much about the business end of healthcare but I can tell you that in my lifetime I don’t ever remember anyone who thought the hospitals in Schuylkill County were worth a crap. Most people would consider them a detour on the way to the undertaker.
I have a long list of relatives and a couple of friends who never checked out alive from Schuylkill and Northumberland county hospitals. Some of them did not have to die.

Also, I guess it's pretty well known that addicts are the gold standard of liars. Interviewing them is an exercise in getting fed nothing but BS.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 10:16 am

TheScrambler92 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 3:45 pm
Curious what is a good age to have 3 kids?

TheScrambler92

Post by TheScrambler92 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 10:48 am

Bubbalowe wrote:
Wed. Jan. 30, 2019 10:16 am
Curious what is a good age to have 3 kids?
When you're fully ready to take care of them, which clearly they were not.

Dakotaguy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Efm 520 highboy
Coal Size/Type: Lots of rice from Lehigh
Other Heating: Pops 2010 df 520 stoker

Post by Dakotaguy » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 8:29 pm

Maybe if they cleaned up like a shower and quit the drugs tattoos etc they could get a job wait that's what the working class is for article is BS for sure I was born and raised in summit hill still living here today theirs always bums

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Fri. Feb. 08, 2019 9:21 pm

I recognized the mine and of course they said Lansford and the old #9. My first impression was she is overweight and has to many tatoo's for a poor person. The rest of the article could have been written about any rural area I can think of, particularly Eastern Maine.....Boo Hoo.

Kevin

LehighanthraciteMatt
Verified Business Rep.
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning
Coal Size/Type: Rice,Buck, and Nut

Post by LehighanthraciteMatt » Sat. Feb. 09, 2019 9:08 am

Richard S. wrote:
Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 9:20 pm
That's Lehigh's strip mine in the background if anyone is interested. We did a Meet and Greet there in 2016(damn that went quick), pictures start around page 4.

Meet and Greet for 2016 - Saturday Sept. 17th
We are here anytime anyone wants to come and visit us :)

AllanD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HAND FIRED HARMON
Coal Size/Type: STOVE
Other Heating: Oil fired hotwater baseboard

Post by AllanD » Mon. Feb. 11, 2019 2:20 am

My brother WAS a Ford Dealer Mechanic who made the Awful mistake of buying a house in Landsford. eventually he had to abandon it when he moved out of state. there was a drug house directly across the street that the USELESS local Police would do nothing about, even though it was used as a "Cook house" which I demonstrated by walking down the street past the house with a can of laundry Spray Starch... Spraying the front of the house.

Starch turns purple in the presence of Iodine, which is used in the process of making meth!

Let's just say a bad town is no excuse for poor life choices.

Meanwhile I get to visit there several times a year to buy coal from
Lehigh at their Greenwood breaker.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”