Hello to All...and a Question Too

Coal Dust

Post by Coal Dust » Tue. Jan. 10, 2006 2:43 pm

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone as this is my first post

I live in a small bungaloo/house aprox 800 sq ft. I currently use a oil-fired warm air unit. It heats my small home well and because my home is so small it is not very expensive to heat even with todays oil prices...In fact I am still on my first 200 gallons I ordered back in October. I am a single guy and I put the thermostat down to aprox 45 when I am not home.

Where I live my nearest neighbors are 1/4 mile to my left and a 1/2 mile to my right and no one across from me for a mile or so. My problem is when my electric goes out it often goes out for more than a day or two. Last year I had no electric for 8 days (ice storm) For whatever reason, the power lines go through the woods in my area and not along the road. So if I have a local "line" problem, I guess....I know it must take awhile for the utility company to locate and repair the problem, and because there is not alot of customers in my immediate area there is not alot of pressure or priority to hurry up and fix the problem as opposed to higher density areas.

Didn't mean to ramble..... my question is, I am looking for a small hand-fired coal stove that I could use to heat my house when the power goes out. I guess I could get a wood stove (free wood but it would mean cutting,limbing, dragging, chopping, splitting etc etc) and I am partial to coal so what small coal stove would you recommend?

What say you?

Regards to all,
Dave
aka "Coal Dust"

bjs1779

Post by bjs1779 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2006 3:13 pm

I would imagine cooking would be an issue to take into account also. Have you heard of Sheephearder stoves?

http://www.transoceanltd.com/appliances/stoves/sh ... pherd.html

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Tue. Jan. 10, 2006 5:02 pm

welcome..First off do u have a usable chimney??

Coal Dust

Post by Coal Dust » Tue. Jan. 10, 2006 8:54 pm

BJS1779 - Thanks that is a nice stove and a good price too. I am not too concerned with cooking because my cooking stove uses propane (small 60lb tank) and I could still light (match) the top burners if the electric goes out. But either way it may be exactly what I am looking for. Also that website has other stoves I may consider....Thanks again.

Lime4x4 - thanks for your reply. No I do not have a usable chimney. I would need to install some kind of insulated metal chimney.

Thanks again,
Dave

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”