National 200 fair price?

TJBender

Post by TJBender » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 8:56 pm

I'm working on a deal for a National 200 boiler. It is currently disassembled with the sections separated. I was told that is was from an older couples house and the reason they replaced it was because of their age and not wanting to go up and down the basement steps anymore.

How much is a boiler like this worth? Should I be concerned that it is disassembled? Should I replace the push nipples when I reassemble and where would I find new push nipples?

Thanks for any input, T.J.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 15, 2019 9:20 pm

I doubt anyone else would pay more than scrap price.

TJBender

Post by TJBender » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 6:45 am

Thanks Rob, but I suspect the seller isn't going to sell it for scrap prices. On the other hand I don't think it's worth the asking price either.

I believe there is a lot of life left in this boiler however my biggest concern would be getting it back together without the push nipples leaking.

It is currently at ground level and the seller is willing to help load.

T.J.

Qtown1835
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker '81 KA4 (online 1/16/17)
Coal Size/Type: WAS Lehigh Rice (TBD)
Other Heating: EFM SPK600

Post by Qtown1835 » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 10:11 am

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Make an offer with what you are comfortable and see what happens. No harm no foul.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 10:35 am

I like those old sectional boilers and used an HB Smith (with a conversion stoker) for several years. Cast iron does tend to be more brittle than steel so you need to be careful in your handling of it. It's probably good that it is apart, so you can inspect each section thoroughly, and there is less of a chance you'll break something during disassembly. It's ok to pay more than scrap for one that's in good shape, but I would pay less than the going rate for a steel boiler of comparable capacity. Also, you should take into account the condition of the grates, which probably wouldn't be cheap to replace. You can get new push nipples at http://boilernipples.com/ .

Good luck.

Mike

TJBender

Post by TJBender » Wed. Jan. 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. I don't know if I have a glutton for punishment or what, but I'm drawn to these sectional boilers also.

I previously worked for a HVAC contractor that had many customers with old boilers. I think we were the only company in the area that serviced the older steam boilers.

Anyhow, if I get this boiler it's definitely going to be a task to set up. We will see what happens.

SlantFin21
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Slant Fin Series 21 Boiler
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/ nut

Post by SlantFin21 » Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 9:47 pm

I have a Slant Fin 21 series hand fired boiler, which is the same as a National 200. My dad and I bought it brand new and it is still in use. We bought it when I was around 20 and now I'm 60 years old. We put the boiler together ourseleves. They are a very good boiler.
Inspect the sections thoroughly for signs of water leaks and cracks. I would never reassemble the boiler without buying a new set push nipples. Make sure the draw rods are in good shape as well, if not, new ones can be bought locally (Baden Bar and Bolt). A set of (4) cast push washers are needed to pull each section together. I doubt if the homeowner has them hanging in the basement.
I still have the assembling instructions, which I would be willing to share if needed. We had the help and advise of an old boiler man, which was a great help.
Best of luck!

TJBender

Post by TJBender » Tue. Jan. 29, 2019 2:29 pm

SlantFin21 wrote:
Sat. Jan. 26, 2019 9:47 pm
I have a Slant Fin 21 series hand fired boiler, which is the same as a National 200. My dad and I bought it brand new and it is still in use. We bought it when I was around 20 and now I'm 60 years old. We put the boiler together ourseleves. They are a very good boiler.
Inspect the sections thoroughly for signs of water leaks and cracks. I would never reassemble the boiler without buying a new set push nipples. Make sure the draw rods are in good shape as well, if not, new ones can be bought locally (Baden Bar and Bolt). A set of (4) cast push washers are needed to pull each section together. I doubt if the homeowner has them hanging in the basement.
I still have the assembling instructions, which I would be willing to share if needed. We had the help and advise of an old boiler man, which was a great help.
Best of luck!
I would be highly interested in whatever information you have. I have purchased the boiler but have not picked it up yet. I will follow up with a pm to you. Thanks.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Wed. Feb. 06, 2019 10:53 am

Would be nice to see pictures in a new assembly / install thread.

Cody

Post by Cody » Wed. Oct. 19, 2022 12:30 pm

I just got bought a 200 series and dont know much about them. Where can i get parts for it?

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Oct. 20, 2022 11:22 am

What parts are you looking for?
Grates?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”